13794Re: the bottom line

    Dec 10, 2012
      --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com, robert fanelli <robertfanelli2001@...> wrote:

      > De"ar Group,
      >
      > In the Owl of Minerva, 43: 1-2 (2011-12), Gregory Scott Moss's review of Julie Maybee's book, "Picturing Hegel..." included the following:
      >
      > "' Being' is Hegel's term for the ordinary world of sense-experience.'  (46).  If this were true, Hegel could not have taken his own philosophy as a presupposition-less system seriously, since beginning with the ordinary world of sense-experience would be quite the foundation."
      >
      > I take exception to this.  All knowledge begins with experience does not mean that the total knowledge developed must have these empirical presuppositions. Developing emprical knowledge may have no presuppositions and may indeed be connected to a developing supposition-less Hegelian type of philosophical system.
      >
      > This is a most important question for understanding Hegel's philosophy.  Are empirical facts incompatible with Hegel's logic?
      > Is Hegelian knowledge void of empirical elements?

      Have we facts without thinking? Facts, I think, are made by justifications of thinking, otherwise they are no facts but intuitions or feelings or pre-conceptual representations which perhaps are preliminary stages of thinking, however, belonging as such to the activity of thought itself as its contents that it changes according to its normative requirements.