13077Re: Rosenkranz on Hegel

  • Beat
    Aug 25, 2012
      --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Cowley" <stephen.cowley@...> wrote:

      > Hi Beat,
      >
      > I take it you are taking issue with Rosenkranz’ characterisation of the Logic. I think there is little doubt that the starting point of the Logic is the point of greatest abstraction, as pure Being is characterised in just this way.<

      It's quite clear that the cited text with which Rosenkranz characterized Hegel's Logic does not only refer to the beginning of the Logic but to the Logic as a whole: "...... Hegel finished his Logic which erected the towers of the eternal categories in the elment of the purest abstraction." (Karl Rosenkranz, "Hegels Leben", "Die Logik 1812-1816"), and "As the essence of the science of the logical Hegel established the immanent development of the concept whose ideal movement is the absolute method of knowing [Erkennen] and at once the intrinsic soul of the content itself."

      >Indeed, some critics, e.g. Trendelenberg, say that the real method of the Logic is the progressive removal of abstraction and return to common sense concepts. I think this is probably not right as the intentions at least. The metaphysical, objective Logic does not use the Kantian distinction of a priori and a posteriori to any great extent, as I remember. even if it did, we have to remember that, for Kant, Space and Time themselves are a priori intuitions, so much of Quantity could be considered a priori on that division.<

      Yes, but Kant's transcendental syntheses (including the time-space intuitions a priori) are for itself empty and need in addition empirical content. This is the main point of Hegel's critique of Kants's epistemology as the so called Copernican revolution. Hegel then thought that his Logic is the adequate reply to this critique. But is this true according to what Rosenkranz wrote about Hegel's Logic?

      Beat Greuter