13072Rosenkranz on Hegel

    Aug 23, 2012
      Stephen Cowley writes:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I turn from some interesting conversations on this list to pursue my
      > reading of
      > Hegels Leben (1844) by Karl Rosenkranz.
      >
      > BOOK TWO Chapter 18
      > The Logic 1812 to 1816
      >
      > In several instances, Rosenkranz⤙ chapters on Hegel⤙s published
      > books are
      > disappointingly sketchy, though interesting all the same, and this one
      > on the
      > Science of Logic fits the pattern.
      >
      > He says that Nuremberg, with its ditches outside town walls and views
      > of the
      > country from crowded streets, is a city of contrasting movements aloft and
      > downwards. The tempos of life of its Slav and Franconian inhabitants also
      > contrast with each other. Hegel described the social life of the town in a
      > letter to Knebel (14/12/1810). In this town be wrote his Science of Logic,
      > published between March 1812 and July 1816 according to the dates on the
      > prefaces. Here the towers of the eternal categories are erected in
      > abstraction.

      "........ Hegel finished his Logic which erected the towers of the
      eternal categories in the elment of the purest abstraction." (Karl
      Rosenkranz, "Hegels Leben", "Die Logik 1812-1816")

      According to Kant this is impossible and against the condition a priori
      of the possibility of knowledge. How can new knowledge arise from mere
      analysis? How can new knowledge arise from the mere abstract concept
      without synthesis with something other? Rosenkranz writes some line
      below the above quotation (my translation):

      "As the essence of the science of the logical Hegel established the
      immanent development of the concept whose ideal movement is the absolute
      method of knowing [Erkennen] and at once the intrinsic soul of the
      content itself."

      This sounds already better: the method is the soul of the content. So,
      the Logic expounds the essence of knowing as a specific organic activity
      of the concept. It is not mainly an architectonic structure of eternal
      categories. However, an organism needs from time to time concrete
      external contents. It cannot live "in the element of the purest
      abstraction" alone. But for Hegel there is no external content in the
      Logic in which the concept determines only itself. It also is no use to
      refer to the PhdG as the phenomenological ground of the Logic. The Logic
      beginns in and for itself and the beginning is an arbitrary act of
      thought (see "With what must science begin?").

      So, what does justify Hegel's Logic according to Rosenkranz?

      Beat Greuter

    • Show all 50 messages in this topic