yellowed meter

  • barry whittemore
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
      I use an old Variac to bring my Heath tube stuff up slowly. It has Voltage and current meters but the plastic is very yellowed, is there a way to remove the yellow and make them clear again?
      thanks
      barry
      WB1EDI

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
        Unfortunately not. The yellowing is to do with the plastic slowly degrading due to UV exposure. Modern plastics have additives to make them more UV stable, so don't exhibit the same behavior, or at least, not to the same degree.

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
          Unless it is the result of deposits from cigarette smoking, then you may
          be able to clean it. You might try "Goof Off" or one of the other
          citrus-based
          cleaners. There is an acrylic floor cleaner called "Future" which is
          said to
          be amazing cleaning clear plastic and re-sealing the surface (I have not
          tried it). The key is to not use something that will eat the plastic or
          make it
          even more yellow (I think that anything with ammonia is verboten, there are
          other chemicals that also attack or yellow plastic.)

          --

          Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
          FS/Swap/Wanted: http://kd4e.com/swapn.html
          Free OS : http://www.PuppyLinux.com
          Personal: http://kd4e.com
          |_|___|_|
          | | & | |
          /\ {|
          / \ {|
          / \ {|
          / @ \ {|
          | |~_|~~~~|
          | -| | |
          ============\ # KD4E
          Have an http://ultrafidian.com day!
        • Mike Sloane
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
            You could try to cover the plastic with clear acrylic, like Future floor
            finish, to make the meter's more legible. But the yellow color is the
            result of aging/UV, and I don't think anything will remove it.

            Mike

            barry whittemore wrote:

            > I use an old Variac to bring my Heath tube stuff up slowly. It has
            > Voltage and current meters but the plastic is very yellowed, is there a
            > way to remove the yellow and make them clear again?
            > thanks
            > barry
            > WB1EDI

          • Possum Hunter
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
              On Dec 19, 2008, at 8:54 AM, barry whittemore wrote:

              > It has Voltage and current meters but the plastic is very yellowed,
              > is there a way to remove the yellow and make them clear again?

              Sometimes. I have had pretty good luck with Boat Windshield scratch
              remover. It buffs off the top layer of the plastic down to the clear
              part. I also use this on yellowed, scratched up Automobile headlights.

              Kevin in Upstate SC
              KJ4HYD

            • william coulson
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                Just us plastic polish! Like Meguiar's "Mirror Glaze" plastic cleaner part number MGH-17. This is good on all plastics like plexi glass. I found it at the airport but now could even be at wal-mart

                If you cannot find a good polish or are in a hurry use several application of tooth paste.

                Bill Coulson
                Colville, WA

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                  On 19 Dec 2008 at 8:54, barry whittemore wrote:

                  > I use an old Variac to bring my Heath tube stuff up slowly. It has
                  > Voltage and current meters but the plastic is very yellowed, is there
                  > a way to remove the yellow and make them clear again? thanks barry
                  > WB1EDI

                  I have had good luck using Brasso for this purpose. I have an HM-
                  2140 which had badly yellowed meters, and in addition, one of
                  them had a deep scratch.

                  Careful application of Brasso and careful rubbing took off both the
                  yellow and reduced the scratch to insignificance.

                  In fact, that previously scratched meter is noticeably clearer and
                  more shiny than the other one.

                  I believe Brasso DOES contain small amounts of ammonia, so it
                  may not work for your meters.

                  BTW, I also use Brasso for polishing CDs and DVDs.

                  Ken Gordon W7EKB
                • Bernie Arcand
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                    ....and the smell alone brings back a flood of memories, as we feverishly worked on a 35 gallon galvanized garbage can to make it mirror-finished as a Christmas presnet for the Sargent Major!!

                    Bernie in ND

                    On 19 Dec 2008 at 8:54, barry whittemore wrote:

                    > I use an old Variac to bring my Heath tube stuff up slowly. It has
                    > Voltage and current meters but the plastic is very yellowed, is there
                    > a way to remove the yellow and make them clear again? thanks barry
                    > WB1EDI

                    I have had good luck using Brasso for this purpose. I have an HM-
                    2140 which had badly yellowed meters, and in addition, one of
                    them had a deep scratch.

                    Careful application of Brasso and careful rubbing took off both the
                    yellow and reduced the scratch to insignificance.

                    In fact, that previously scratched meter is noticeably clearer and
                    more shiny than the other one.

                    I believe Brasso DOES contain small amounts of ammonia, so it
                    may not work for your meters.

                    BTW, I also use Brasso for polishing CDs and DVDs.

                    Ken Gordon W7EKB

                  • Len Litvan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                      The good fellow at Ace Hardware recommended "Mothers Plastic Polish" to
                      me for buffing a deep scratch on the display of my handheld. It worked
                      extremely well. Buffed it by hand one night while watching news on TV.
                      The label says, "Protects Against UV Rays," so that may be a plus.

                      I suggest using this product and see if the UV-damaged layer can be
                      removed without removing any numerals or other legend.

                      Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners, Huntington Beach, CA . US$5.99 for 8
                      fl. oz. bottle in October/November 2008. www.mothers.com

                      Len KC0RSX
                      Winona, MN

                      william coulson wrote:

                      > Just us plastic polish! Like Meguiar's "Mirror Glaze" plastic cleaner
                      > part number MGH-17. This is good on all plastics like plexi glass. I
                      > found it at the airport but now could even be at wal-mart
                      >
                      > If you cannot find a good polish or are in a hurry use several
                      > application of tooth paste.
                      >
                      > Bill Coulson

                    • Howie
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                        Where would one get this boat scratch remover?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                          On Dec 19, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Howie wrote:

                          > Where would one get this boat scratch remover?

                          Any Marine Dealer would have it.

                          Kevin in Upstate SC
                          KJ4HYD

                        • rick smith
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                            Barry,
                            Try rubbing it out with an automotive cleaning paste wax (the "cleaning" waxes have a slight amount of abrasive in them).  Many years ago when I was running & repairing British sports cars this worked great on the rear windows of the convertible tops.
                            Rick

                          • barry whittemore
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 20, 2008
                              Thanks for the many replys on the yellowing meter faces. i will try some of them and let you know what i find.
                              73
                              Barry
                              WB1EDI

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 20, 2008
                                i would take the plastic and hold it sidewise to a light with a piece of dark cardboard on each of the flat sides and look through it thin-ways (edge wise??) ..if the plastic looks yellow looking through the edge it is probably uv damaged all the way through and not be polish out able...I have done a lot of plastic polishing and found that stainless steel polish (for me the product made by MAAS) works best to bring back a like new finish, for deep scratches (doesn't apply in his case) wet sand with 1000 and then 1500 black sandpaper until the scratch is gone and the lastic has a universal milky finish, and then use the polish on a soft piece of cotton cloth (not paper towels, although news print works)....

                                From: "Howie" <esrman@...>