Heatkit SB-230

  • la2fca
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 26, 2014

      Hello all

      I have a SB-230 , which working good.

      On the meter i read 1800 Volt, but  when i transmit

      the HV is falling fram 1800 Volt to under 1500 Volt.

      The Power output is abt. 400 Watt With 60 Watt from exiter.

      Is that normal or but i plan to change the capasitor bank or something ?

      The Transformer i New from Perter Dale.

      73,s Oddvar LA2FCA

    • bisseks
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 26, 2014
        sounds right. 572B's need 100w for full output of about 600w, lower on 15 and 10, so 400w is nominal for 60w drive.

        Barry
        K6ZA
      • Dwayne
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 26, 2014
          If you are running 117V, yes this is to be expected to some degree.
          If you are running 220V, you need to probably check out your filter caps for starters.

          Definition of a Good Salesman: Screws you and you don't know it.

          Definition of a Superb Salesman: You think you Screwed him!!!

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 26, 2014
            oops... 230 uses 8873 Tube, not 572B's sorry, however power settings as described should still apply with your stated drive power.

            Barry
            K6ZA
          • Bernie
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2014

              The Heathkit SB-230, if I recall correctly, does NOT use 572B finals but rather the single tube 8873 conduction cooled.  I had one for 20 years...and it sounds about right to get 400 watts with a 60 watt drive, and if connected to 117 V-AC mains, it will sag to 1500 - 1600 when you modulate.  In my case, it would even pull down the line voltage by a couple of volts. I had a meter across my 117VAC line, and when I drove the amp with 100W on 80 meters, I could get 600 watts out measured with a peak reading wattmeter.  I also had the household lights slightly dim in sync with my modulation.  I no longer use that amp...sold it.

              Bernie in ND
              WDØGMD

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 27, 2014
                  I also have a 230 and I think your HV is too low.  I have a good solid 2500v at idle and 2100 at transmit using 120vac input.  I have replaced the HV caps on a home-brew PCB and rectifiers on the rectifier board.  With 65w out of my exciter, ( Its getting tired),  I do get 450W out of the 230.  This is measured on a standard reading watt meter - not peak reading.  I have read a healthy 230 should get 600-700 on a standard reading watt meter.

                  Steve  K0SJS
                • Oddvar Haug
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 27, 2014
                    Melding
                    Tanks all for fine inputs to my question.
                    The SB-230 is wired for 240 Volt (the main here in Norway).
                    The HV from the transformer is 850 to 900 Volt as i remember
                    there it's a Voltage dobler, so i thougt the HV should Be around 1700 - 1800 Volt ?
                    The tube in this PA is the original 8873.

                    I have now purchace GI7B tube and socket to have in spare if the 8873 fault in the future.
                    I will then modify the PA  tho this tube.
                    The filter capasitors is old, so i will change them anyway.
                    The Transformer is new , winding from Peter Dahl.

                    73's Oddvar LA2FCA

                    I also have a 230 and I think your HV is too low.  I have a good solid 2500v at idle and 2100 at transmit using 120vac input.  I have replaced the HV caps on a home-brew PCB and rectifiers on the rectifier board.  With 65w out of my exciter, ( Its getting tired),  I do get 450W out of the 230.  This is measured on a standard reading watt meter - not peak reading.  I have read a healthy 230 should get 600-700 on a standard reading watt meter.

                    Steve  K0SJS

                  • Patrick Tocornal