Heathkit HM-2102 Watt meter problems

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2014
      Has anyone experienced this problem with the VHF HM-2102 Watt/SWR meter?
      I am using it with a Kenwood 241-A 2 meter tranciver. I have checked the set with a known good watt meter and the results were: low power is 6 watts. Medium power is 10 watts and high power is 50 watts which is close to the values in the Kenwood manual. There are two scales on the meter, a 0-25 watt scale and a 0-250 watt scale. With the HM-2102 connected If I set the meter to read corectly on the 25 watt scale with the 200K pot it will only show about 40 watts on the 250 watt scale. There is no problem with calibrating the SWR by finding a null with the 200K pot, only a problem with the power readings. If I set the meter to read correctly on the 250 scale it will read very high on the 25 watt scale. I have checked all resistors and replaced two that were out of tolerance.
      Any thoughts?
      Thanks
      Bob W1GTH
    • K5MYJ
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2014
        Are you testing using a dummy load or an antenna?

        Bob Macklin
        K5MYJ
        Seattle, Wa.
        "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2014
          Bob, actually I used a dummy load and then just to compare I switched to the antenna and got almost identical results
          Bob
          W1GTH

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2014
            You need to do the calibration on the dummyload.

            It looks like you have a resistor that has changed value.

            Bob Macklin
            K5MYJ
            Seattle, Wa.
            "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
[...]

          • John & Diana Beckner
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2014

              Bob,

              The problem you describe is common to the HM-102.  A fix was published in Ham Radio magazine a several years ago.  I believe that the fix involved installation of a potentiometer.  I will peruse my old HM-102 manual and see if I made any notes.  Meanwhile some other old-timers might remember this issue.

              John, WB4FEN

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2014
                In addition to the pot there are two resistors. You need to check their values.

                Do you have a manual?

                Bob Macklin
                K5MYJ
                Seattle, Wa.
                "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 15, 2014
                  I have just repackaged an HM2102 and I installed preset pots for all power ranges to enable precise calibration.

                  I also replaced all out of tolerance resistors and found that the adjustment null was much sharper on 50MHz than 146MHz.

                  Now works well.

                  You can see the unit in the following photo on my technical website. The HM2102 is in the lower centre in a die cast box and the yellow multi-turn miniature presets are on the switch wafer to the lower right. The left hand half of this dual Z-Match ATU covers 1.8 - 30MHz and the right hand half covers 50 - 146MHz and it is used with a stub loaded multiband dipole fed with narrow spaced open wire feeders. The HF SWR/Power detector is a repackaged HM102.

                  73

                  Bob

                  Bob F Burns G3OOU
                  C Eng, FIET, MSE
                  G-QRP 6907
                  Secretary of Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club: www.g3oou.co.uk
                  Technical web site: www.qsl.net/g3oou
                  @BobFBurns on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BobFBurns

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 15, 2014
                    Santos, thanks much. I believe that my problem is described in this file. I will get a chance to look it over tonight and let you know what I find.
                    73
                    Bob W1GTH
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 22, 2014
                      The problem with my 2102 watt/swr meter has been solved. I replaced the 68K resistor with a 100K pot and I can now adjust the 25 and 250 watt ranges independently.
                      Thanks to all that contributed
                      73
                      Bob
                      W1GTH
                    • Bob
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 3 2:44 PM
                        Ok I replaced the 68K resistor with a 100K trimmer pot.Problem solved. I can now adjust the 25 and 250 watt ranges independently. Thanks to all that replied.
                        73
                        Bob
                        W1GTH