SB-301 to SB-401 interconnect cables???

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
      Does anyone have any info on building a set of interconnect cables for my SB-301 & SB-401?
      Thanks
      Dan
      W3QL
    • Will Rogers
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
        Hi Dan!

        Had this gentleman make me a set of cables for my Sb-303/SB-491 twins. They
        work perfectly! Here is the website address:

        http://rtoham.com/

        They were not inexpensive, but they were professional in their appearance
        and have been trouble-free for me. Check it out!

        73!

        Will Rogers

        K5WLR

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
          I think the information is in the SB-401 manual. It's 24" of RG-62.

          Check Surplus Sales of Nebraska. They used to have it.

          Bob Macklin
          K5MYJ
          Seattle, Wa.
          "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
            Hi Dan,

            The three critical cables: HET OSC, LMO and BFO must be 24" long RG-62U (93 ohm cable) with an RCA plug on each end. If shorter they won't reach!

            The RCVR ANT to HF ANT is RG-58 and length is not critical. (actually any 50 ohm coax will work electrically if not physically!) I'd keep away from the very thin RG-174 due to loss.

            The remaining cables, MUTE, SPKR to RCVR AUDIO, and ANTI VOX can be any RCA to RCA shielded cable available at audio stores or "Electrode Hut".

            I can send you the page from the SB-301 manual that shows making up the RG-62 cables if you'd like.

            Bob, AF6C

            --- In heathkit@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <cdandeville@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have any info on building a set of interconnect cables for my SB-301 & SB-401?
            > Thanks
            > Dan
            > W3QL

          • Danny Howell
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013

            • Will Rogers
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
                Hi Dan!

                I am using an Electrovoice model 638, which is what Heathkit recommended for
                the SB series radios. I think that any high impedance microphone would work
                fine, i.e., D-104, etc. The main thing is to have fun!

                What I really enjoy with my twins is that, once the rig warms up, the SB-303
                vfo is very stable and quite accurate. I find that amazing for a rig that is
                close to 50 years old. I hope you enjoy your twins as much as I enjoy mine.

                Look for me on the air when you get them going!

                73!

                Will Rogers

                K5WLR

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
                    Any of the old Turner plus mics. . .Turner plus 2 Turner plus 3, turner anything sound great on the heathkit twins. . .
                  I also own the heathkit twins. . .I have the sb303 and the sb401.

                    The receiver is excellent in stability. . .just turn it on, and presto. . .no drift at all for me.
                  My sb401 has the crystals, so as soon as it warms up, I immediately switch to the separate transmitter and receiver.

                  Hope to see you all on the air. . .I run 7.208

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013