Re: [Heathkit:Yahoo] Chirpy HW-16

  • K5MYJ
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
      This is old technology! Chirp is normal!

      All keyed oscillators chirp somewhat. If you don't want chirp buy a modern RICEBOX!

      Bob Macklin
      K5MYJ
      Seattle, Wa.
      "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
        Tnx Bob, I thought the chirpy was certainly to be expected with a VF-1 or
        similar, but not with a crystal.Am I wrong?

        Lou wa5bng

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
          Lhorton@... writes:

          I thought the chirpy was certainly to be expected with a VF-1 or
          similar, but not with a crystal.Am I wrong?

          Hi Lou

          All keyed oscillators will chirp in one form or another. The old grid
          blocked keying techniques were developed to ensure that the chirp never got our
          over the air. I ran full break-in with a VFO/Buffer/Buffer-Multiplier/PA
          for years in the 60s and 70s with no chirp - just had to get the timings
          right.

          The following is an extract from a document by Ken Gordon W7EKB about HW-16
          Chirp:
          "There are several different suggested methods of minimizing the chirp
          which appears when using crystals with some HW-16s.
          Several have suggested voltage-regulating the oscillator voltage.
          I did this first, and it did absolutely nothing to correct the chirp in my
          HW-16.
          Others have suggested reducing the oscillator voltage by changing the
          point from which the oscillator voltage is taken to 125 VDC.
          I have suggested adding an additional feedback capacitor directly from the
          screen of the oscillator, pin 3 (or 8) to ground.
          I got this information after reviewing several articles from the literature
          on crystal oscillators. It was shown that some oscillators needed
          additional feedback between the screen (which is the oscillator's plate in an ECO)
          and ground. In this type of modified-Pierce crystal oscillator, ground is
          the mid-point between the plate (screen) and grid, since the cathode is
          grounded directly.
          I ended up using 220 pfd, but others have found lower values will work as
          well or better.
          In at least one case, adding a small-value (2 or 3 pfd) mica capacitor
          between the GRID (pins 2 or 9) and ground helped eliminate the remaining chirp
          after the screen capacitor had been added. From a careful examination of
          the circuit, it is clear that this provides a bit of additional feedback.
          Prior to “messing with” the feedback, I also voltage-regulated all the
          voltages to the oscillator tube in my own HW-16: the result was no change
          whatever in the amount of chirp!!
          Adding the 220 pfd capacitor between screen and ground eliminated all but
          a very small amount of chirp for me, only noticeable on 15 meters.
          Another user reported that adding the screen capacitor made his crystals “
          sluggish”. However, when he reduced the value of the added screen capacitor
          to a much lower value, activity returned, and chirp was reduced.
          Another user reported that when he connected an HG-10 VFO to the HW-16,
          and left it plugged into the VFO input jack, but powered off when he used
          crystals, all chirp, even on 15 meters was gone. The capacitance of the coax
          between the HG-10 and the grid of the HW-16 oscillator tube was the added
          factor that eliminated the remaining chirp.
          It is all about proper levels and relationships of feedback."

          73

          Bob

          Bob F Burns G3OOU
          C Eng, FIET, MSE
          G-QRP 6907
          Secretary of Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club: www.g3oou.co.uk
          Technical web site: www.qsl.net/g3oou
          @BobFBurns on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BobFBurns

        • K5MYJ
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
            Crystals chirp too. Don't worry about it. The amount of chirp will be a function of the crystal. Does it have a socket for a FT-243 or a HC-6 crystal?

            The new people don't understand.

            A couple of weeks ago there was a CW contest. No chirps but lots of CLICKS! It was so bad that I could not copy because all I heard was clicks and no tone. It may have been computer generated.

            I am not impressed with the way contests are operated these days.

            Bob Macklin
            K5MYJ
            Seattle, Wa.
            "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
              Try adding a 220 pF mica cap from the screen grid of the oscillator
              tube to ground. If gets extremely sluggish try 100 pF
              That's works sometimes.
              If not the chirp is usually caused by power supply "point B" B+ instability. The trick is to ISOLATE the oscillator (V7)from the transmitter B+ by disconnecting the wire coming from C4/R3/R4 to power supply "Point B"
              Tie this wire to Point A in the power supply (supply for the receiver). It +175 VDC but far more stable and enough for V7 to oscillate cleanly.
              (Point A voltage is more stable when transmitting then point B).

              --- In heathkit@yahoogroups.com, "Lou Horton" <Lhorton@...> wrote:

              > I have a Hw-16 that I would like to pass on to a friend. The RX works fine
              > and seems to be stable. The power out seems to be proper. But, the report
              > from others is that it is a chirpy cw signal. If not too difficult, would
              > like to repair this unit.
              >

              > Any ideas, Lou wa5bng Tulsa

            • Bry Carling
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
                This is correct.

                To: heathkit@yahoogroups.com
                From: "Spaceman" <joeamp2000@...>

                > the chirp is usually caused by power supply "point B" B+
                > instability.

              • steven lords
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
                  how old are the caps and they are original size
                  thanks
                  steve
                  wa7isl