      From: heathkit@yahoogroups.com [mailto:heathkit@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2014 9:25 AM
      To: heathkit@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Heathkit:Yahoo] Re: Soldering, aka Soldering Guns (and a good buy on one)

      I have two Weller guns, which I've had for years.  The 8200 is a 100W/140W model that I use for heavy soldering on boatanchor gear, such as ground lugs.  My D550 is a monster 240W/325W model that I use only for two things: soldering heavy lugs to a steel chassis and coax connectors.  The problem with PL-259 type connectors, especially with foam coax, is that a lighter-wattage iron or gun requires so much dwell time to get the surface to a temp to flow solder that it heats up the entire area to way beyond the melting point of the coax dielectric,  As a result, you end up with a mess of melted plastic.  Even if you are fortunate and don't create a short, you may as well just cut the connector off and throw it away if it ever has to be removed.

      With the D550, I prep the connector by swabbing a little dab of Weller paste rosin flux (Get some!) around the holes with a q-tip.  Then I squeeze the trigger on the gun until the tip gets hot.   I put the tip on the connector and as soon as the flux starts smoking, I add some solder in the space between the gun tip and the connector.  I only leave the gun on the surface long enough to flow the solder down into the hole and across the top.  I use Kester .050 60/40 solder for this purpose.  60/40 has better 'wetting action' than 63/37.

      My two cents' worth ...Mike Harmon, WB0LDJ
      mharmon at att dot net

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic