Reverse Diabetes by Understanding the Causes of Insulin Resistance

  • Mark Hyman. M.D.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2008
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Mark Hyman, M.D.
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * health-articles@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      Reverse Diabetes by Understanding the Causes of Insulin Resistance

      Article Description:
      ====================

      Think diabetes is irreversible? Nothing could be further from
      the truth. Despite what the medical establishment tells you, you
      can reverse diabetes -- without insulin or medication. Today,
      I'd like to tell you about a new way of viewing -- and treating
      -- diabetes. First, though, you need to understand why diabetes
      is such a problem

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2008-02-05 11:24:00

      Written By: Mark Hyman, M.D.
      Copyright: 2008
      Contact Email: mailto:hymanarticles@...

      Mark Hyman, M.D.'s Picture URL:
      http://www.ultrametabolism.com/files/images/drhymanbio.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Mark Hyman, M.D., please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/mark-hyman,-m_d_.html

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=5645&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/h/reverse-diabetes-by-understanding.shtml#get_code

      Reverse Diabetes by Understanding the Causes of Insulin Resistance
      Copyright (c) 2008 Mark Hyman, M.D.
      UltraMetabolism

      Think diabetes is irreversible?

      Nothing could be further from the truth.

      Despite what the medical establishment tells you, you can reverse
      diabetes -- without insulin or medication.

      Today, I'd like to tell you about a new way of viewing -- and
      treating -- diabetes.

      First, though, you need to understand why diabetes is such a
      problem.

      A Growing Epidemic

      The disease has reached epidemic proportions: Type 2 diabetes
      (formerly called adult onset diabetes) now affects nearly 100
      million people worldwide, 20 million of which are Americans.

      And it's on the rise -- especially in kids. One in three
      children born today will have diabetes in their lifetime.

      That's because the path to diabetes starts very early.

      The culprit is insulin.

      When you eat a lot of sugar and other refined carbohydrates like
      bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, your body eventually becomes
      resistant to the effects of insulin. It requires more and more
      insulin to keep your blood sugar balanced. High insulin levels
      increase your appetite -- and your belly fat.

      High levels of insulin can occur decades before you're diagnosed
      with diabetes. They are warning signs of this condition.

      So are the other symptoms of insulin resistance, like belly fat,
      sugar cravings, feeling tired after meals, high blood pressure
      and triglycerides, and inflammation.

      A family history of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and even
      dementia can increase your chances of developing insulin
      resistance and pre-diabetes.

      And pre-diabetes is just as bad as full-blown diabetes. It, too,
      can cause heart attacks, strokes, dementia, cancer, and
      impotence.

      So why is diabetes on the rise?

      The answer is as close as the food on your plate.

      Our bodies were meant to consume a diet that's high in
      nutrients, fiber, and omega-3 fats and low in sugar. So when we
      eat unhealthy foods -- like sugar, trans fats, white flour, and
      processed foods -- we activate genes that promote diabetes.

      Yet type 2 diabetes is almost totally preventable. In fact, in
      one major study, Harvard researchers found that lifestyle and
      diet changes could prevent more than 90 percent of all type 2
      diabetes cases.

      Early Diagnosis is Key

      Diagnosing type 2 diabetes early is crucial to its management and
      reversal.

      Because damage to the body can occur with even small changes in
      insulin and blood sugar, doctors should diagnose pre-diabetes as
      soon as possible.

      The proof is in the research. One recent study found that people
      whose fasting blood sugar was higher than 87 were at increased
      risk of diabetes.

      Yet most doctors don't worry until the blood sugar is over 110
      -- or worse, over 126, which is diabetes.

      Instead, I recommend early testing with anyone who has a family
      history of type 2 diabetes, belly fat, or abnormal cholesterol --
      regardless of your blood sugar level.

      Ask your doctor for these tests:

      1. Insulin glucose challenge test with 2-hour glucose challenge,
      75 grams measuring fasting, 1 and 2 hour blood sugar AND
      insulin.

      Your blood sugar should be less than 80 fasting and never rise
      above 110 or 120 after one to two hours. Your insulin should be
      less than 5 fasting and should never rise above 30 after one to
      two hours.

      I recommend this test for everyone over 50, and for anyone with
      any risk of insulin resistance, even children.

      2. The hemoglobin A1C is an important measure of glycated
      hemoglobin, which can be an early indicator of sugar problems. It
      should ideally be less than 5.5. Anything over 6 is considered
      diabetes.

      3. Lipid profiles are important. An HDL under 40 and a
      triglyceride level over 150 usually means diabetes.

      4. An NMR lipid profile identifies the size of your cholesterol
      particles.

      5. High sensitivity C-reactive protein is a measure of
      inflammation, which is both a cause and result of insulin
      resistance and diabetes. It should be less than 1.

      6. Homocysteine is often abnormal in people with diabetes. It
      should be between 6 and 8.

      7. Fibrinogen measures your risk of clotting and is associated
      with insulin resistance and diabetes. It should be less than
      300.

      8. Ferritin is a nonspecific marker of inflammation associated
      with diabetes. It should be less than 150.

      9. Uric acid should be less than 6. Higher levels indicate
      problems with insulin resistance.

      10. Elevated liver function tests result from insulin
      resistance.

      These are tests any doctor can perform and are covered by
      insurance. If you're at risk for diabetes, I urge you to get
      tested.

      Mark Hyman, MD is a pioneer in functional medicine, practicing
      physician and best-selling author. A sneak preview of his book
      "The UltraSimple Diet" is available. See The UltraWellness Blog
      for more on http://www.ultrawellness.com/blog/insulin-resistance
      Testing for Insulin Resistance

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/h/reverse-diabetes-by-understanding.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Mark Hyman, M.D. can be reached at:
      hymanarticles@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:hymanarticles@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Mark Hyman, M.D.