Web site up for comment

  • simoncraig12000
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2007
      Hi Guys,

      please go to:

      http://www.hilorcflyers.com/

      and let me know what you think. Captions (clean!) for the photographs
      would be welcome.

      I have not submitted it to any search engines yet as I think it needs
      a bit more work.

      I want to add a photo of the access gate to the flying field page.
      Also if we are going to try and attract people in on a Sunday, we
      should perhaps think about getting a banner made up to display out on
      the highway next to the gate.

      Let me know any links you specifically want added in.

      The web sight does not for some reason display images as thumbnails
      which means we are going to have multiple pages soon. No big problem
      but I would have preferred it that way.

      We need a contacts page. Clicking on the email button brings up my
      email which is fine but we should add contact addresses and phone
      numbers.

      Also we need a News page with things like the next meeting, the next
      work day etc. We could put a calender on but I think this would be
      overkill. Possibly we could put the last meeting minutes on though
      this could be on a private page.

      Finally the tax man was good which means this year's site rental is a
      donation by me.

      Cheers

      Simon
    • Office 2004 Test Drive User
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2007
        Re: [hcrc] Web site up for comment Simon,

        Wow, Great Job!  I think it’s really good.  And thank you so much for the time and the donation of $$ to get the site up and running for the first year.  It’s great. Thanks!

        I’ll read through it carefully and may provide some “wordsmithing” for you later, but have two quick comments:
        1. Instead of the link “email” , and relative to your point about “contacts”,  I’d suggest changing the link to “How To Join”.  Perhaps there we could explain our process, which I would like to be email based.  There you are welcome to put my email address (which I’ve updated, it is now mark.timares@..., I’m trying to terminate my yahoo account).  But I believe that no other information such as phone numbers should or needs to be published.  Perhaps we could even create a special email box (like hcrc@...) and trade off who watches it.   I’m happy to be on email inbox watching duties the rest of this year. I’ve thought a lot about this question, and I do not want to  publish my home phone as the club’s phone number.  In the past I’ve even had a hard time getting club members to give me their phone numbers.  So my conclusion was and continues to be that our club basically doesn’t have a phone number.  Also, when the club was bigger, and at the other field, I’d get all kinds of calls at all hours that were not very important.  So I feel that for contacts and to join, an email should be sent.  I think that should be fine.  In fact I had an email from a guy from California the other week who found us through the AMA and wanted to visit us.  We exchanged phone numbers and spoke, but the timing didn’t work for him.  The point is that the process for “how to join” should be to send an email.  We can use my email for now, I also could create a new email address that is less personal.  What about mail@...?  Do we have the type of service that would allow this to exist? I noticed that’s how the Kona guys’ site works (they use mail@...).  Let me know what you think about this suggestion.  I can also create an hcrc@... and pull the email from the POP server into my regular inbox with no hassles.
        2. The home page has a very cool layout, but appears very small in my browser.  Can it be made larger, louder, or splashier?

        Also, we can’t and don’t leave the gate open, ever, even on Sundays.  As you know we share the land with some farmers and some window testing company, and must restrict access at all times. The club has been very lukewarm on publicizing the field’s location, for fear of vandalism, druggies, squatters, unauthorized pig hunters and the like. So I’m not sure that it’s a good idea or necessary to put a picture of the gate, or super precise directions to the field, since it’s private and locked anyway.  We’ve discussed signs and banners on the road, and the idea has always been nix’d by the club members.  Anyway I’ll read the text you’ve written some more, but we should probably amplify that the field is private (what a cool benefit!), and probably be a little bit vague about precisely where it is, and amplify that people can send us an email and we’ll gladly arrange a private tour, or something like that

        Thanks again!! More later.
        Mark.

        On 3/27/07 9:43 PM, "simoncraig12000" <simoncraig12000@...> wrote:

[...]

        Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.
      • simoncraig12000
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2007
          Hi Mark,

          thanks for the comments...

          I thought we agreed to leave the gate open on Sundays at the last
          meeting. Did something change after I left?

          Cheers

          Simon

          --- In hcrc@yahoogroups.com, Office 2004 Test Drive User <mdtima@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > The web sight does not for some reason display images as thumbnails
          > > which means we are going to have multiple pages soon. No big problem
          > > but I would have preferred it that way.
          > >
          > > We need a contacts page. Clicking on the email button brings up my
          > > email which is fine but we should add contact addresses and phone
          > > numbers.
          > >
          > > Also we need a News page with things like the next meeting, the next
          > > work day etc. We could put a calender on but I think this would be
          > > overkill. Possibly we could put the last meeting minutes on though
          > > this could be on a private page.
          > >
          > > Finally the tax man was good which means this year's site rental is a
          > > donation by me.
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Simon
          > >

          > Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.

        • Mark Timares
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2007
            Message
            Simon,
            We discussed it but I recall we concluded we will not.  I believe when I brought up that there were other lease holders, such as the window testing company that share the property, and that we should not leave their testing gear exposed to the public by leaving the gate unlocked.  Everyone agreed we should continue to keep the gate locked.
            Thanks,
            Mark.

            Mark Timares

            mdtima@...