Hazardous Waste Shipment

  • LMushinski@foth.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2004
      For shipping pallet-sized totes of filter cake of F006 waste (sludge from
      electroplating wastewater treatment), the hazardous material table
      indicates Class 9 placard for domestic shipments for "hazardous waste,
      solid, n.o.s." and "NA3077". On some materials from DOT-RSPA, called "DOT
      Chart 11", the note under the Class 9 placard indicates that it is "not
      required for domestic transportation". Whether a waste or haz mat needs
      to be placarded appears to be significant with respect to the requirement
      to prepare security plans. If you're shipping several thousand pounds of
      F006 filter cake in cubic yard boxes, is a Class 9 placard required or
      not? Thanks!

      Laura J. Mushinski
      Foth & Van Dyke

    • PC
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2004
        Answer: not required--optional--for domestic (within the U.S.)
        transportation. Even if you decide to placard the shipment, it will
        not trigger the security plan requirement, unless it is triggered by
        other criteria.

        See 40 CFR 172.504(b)(9)
        "For domestic transportation, a Class 9 placard is not required. A
        bulk packaging containing a Class 9 material must be marked with the
        appropriate identification number displayed on a Class 9 placard, an
        orange panel or a white-square-on-point display configuration as
        required by subpart D of this part."

        By the way, Chart 11 is old. You should be using Chart 12 and 49 CFR.
        There is PDF copy of the DOT Chart 12 here:
        http://www.hazmat101.com
        (Look under Files)

        Regards,
        ...PC

      • vcament@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2004
          PC: I hope your mean 49 CFR. . .

          Vic Ament

          > Answer: not required--optional--for domestic (within the U.S.)
          > transportation. Even if you decide to placard the shipment, it will
          > not trigger the security plan requirement, unless it is triggered by
          > other criteria.
          >
          > See 40 CFR 172.504(b)(9)
          > "For domestic transportation, a Class 9 placard is not required. A
          > bulk packaging containing a Class 9 material must be marked with the
          > appropriate identification number displayed on a Class 9 placard, an
          > orange panel or a white-square-on-point display configuration as
          > required by subpart D of this part."
          >
          > By the way, Chart 11 is old. You should be using Chart 12 and 49 CFR.
          > There is PDF copy of the DOT Chart 12 here:
          > http://www.hazmat101.com
          > (Look under Files)
          >
          > Regards,
          > ...PC
          >
          > --- In hazmat101@yahoogroups.com, LMushinski@f... wrote:
          > >
          > > For shipping pallet-sized totes of filter cake of F006 waste
          > (sludge from
          > > electroplating wastewater treatment), the hazardous material table
          > > indicates Class 9 placard for domestic shipments for "hazardous
          > waste,
          > > solid, n.o.s." and "NA3077". On some materials from DOT-RSPA,
          > called "DOT
          > > Chart 11", the note under the Class 9 placard indicates that it
          > is "not
          > > required for domestic transportation". Whether a waste or haz mat
          > needs
          > > to be placarded appears to be significant with respect to the
          > requirement
          > > to prepare security plans. If you're shipping several thousand
          > pounds of
          > > F006 filter cake in cubic yard boxes, is a Class 9 placard required
          > or
          > > not? Thanks!
        • PC
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 15, 2004
            YES. Typo. Thanks, Vic.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2004
              I think a MSDS can be used in a pinch, is that correct? Or I am way off the
              road.
              thanks
              Larry