Demonstration to Support Independent Hawaii

  • Hawaii Nation Info
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2001
      Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 10:05:45 -1000
      From: Lcruz <palolo@...>
      Subject: Demonstration to Support the Independent Hawaiian Nation
      To: kanakamaoliallies-l@...

      Aloha all,

      Please join us this Wednesday @ 9 am to stand in support of the
      Independent Hawaiian Nation at the Asian Development Bank annual
      meeting...

      Where: Across the street from the Convention Center on Kapiolani Blvd.
      When: 9 am
      What to bring: pu, red kihei or kikepa, lei po`o
      Who we are: Supporters of Hawaiian independence

      Meet at 8:30 am in front of Moa Mua Tei on Kapi`olani Blvd. Our
      understanding is that the police will barricade Ala Wai Blvd. across
      the Canal from the Convention Center, blocking access to the Local 5
      hall. Kapi`olani Blvd. itself will likely be closed off to traffic.
      Parking is uncertain. However, we will attempt to congregate across
      the street from the Convention Center on Kapi`olani. Please join us
      there on Wednesday morning at 8:30 for brief ceremony at 9 am, and
      banner-holding until the marchers arrive. Those wishing to join the
      march before it begins are encouraged to do so. If you are uncertain
      where to go, LOOK FOR THE HAWAIIAN FLAG.

      We will have brochures to hand out to passersby. We are outlining a
      3-point position:
      1) we stand in solidarity with those who support Hawaiian
      independence, in whatever form
      2) we stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters who have been
      and are being displaced, disenfranchised, and killed, and whose
      poverty and dependence have increased as a result of economic
      policies imposed by global banking and trade agreements
      3) we support the right of the earth to renew itself, free from the
      demands and abuse of global development, and claim our responsibility
      as indigenous peoples of the world to care for and nurture all things
      of nature.

      We hope to catch the eye of international media and share information
      with them. We invite you to join us as fellow supporters.

      For more info, email bchingkahoola@... or palolo@...
      Or call 808-738-0084.