MHC Updates

  • Barry Schieferstein
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
      Midwest Haunters Convention News and Updates February 6, 2009

      The Midwest Haunters Convention is a weekend event planned for Haunted
      Attraction Producers, Actors, and Home Haunters. Our goal is to
      provide you
      with educational seminars and workshops with experienced presenters, a 75+
      vendor tradeshow with the latest in haunt offerings, and place to network
      with others in the industry during our fun social activities. If you are
      involved in a haunted house in any way then MHC is the place to be!

      Pre-Con Bus Tour Details
      2 Days, 5 Haunts and More!

      Complete details of this exciting trip have been posted at
      www.midwesthauntersconvention.com/thursday.htm on our website .
      Make plans now to join us as we make a three state tour of some great
      Halloween and Haunted attractions. Included in this very affordable trip
      are five haunts, an amusement park, behind the scenes tour of a brand new
      dark ride, a prison tour, and a Halloween museum.

      Prices start at only $175 per person and includes the haunts, amusement
      park, hotel, meals, and bus! Visit
      www.MidwestHauntersConvention.com/thursday.htm
      for all of the details and reserve your spot now. Spaces are filling
      fast; our first bus is nearly full!!

      HauntBots Seminars Posted
      Unique Classes, New Speakers added

      MHC is proud to welcome the return of HauntBots as the sponsor of our
      industry renowned seminars.

      The bulk of the 2009 HauntBots Seminar lineup has been posted at
      www.MidwestHauntersConvention.com/seminars.htm .

      We will once again be offering a wide array of classes in Make-up, Acting,
      Business, Design, and Props from some industry veterans as well as fresh
      new faces.

      For a list of classes along with descriptions please visit the link above
      and be sure to check out the Speaker Bio link at the bottom of that
      page to
      learn about this year's presenters!

      Visit HauntBots at www.HauntBots.com

      Contest Registrations Open
      Register now for our most popular events

      Registration is now open for both the Miss Scary Midwest Pageant as well
      as Monster Makeup Wars!

      The Miss Scary Midwest Pageant will feature eight of the top female haunt
      characters competing for the title of scariest! Applications are being
      accepted now through March. Download the application at
      www.midwesthauntersconvention.com/data/docs/pageantreg.pdf.

      Monster Makeup Wars is another signature event for MHC. Five teams of
      make-up artists will compete to create a monster on their victim. The
      only
      catch is that will not not know what supplies they have to work with until
      the competition starts! Makeup Wars is as much a spectator sport as it is
      a competition so join us Saturday afternoon for all of the fun. If
      you are
      interested in registering a team please download
      www.midwesthauntersconvention.com/data/docs/mmwreg.pd

      IAHA Masquerade Party
      Largest Haunt Party Free to Members!

      The International Association of Haunted Attractions has renewed their
      sponsorship of our industry's largest party. The Saturday night IAHA
      Masquerade Party at MHC will once again feature heavy hors d'oeuvres,
      music, dancing, contests and much more! All IAHA members will receive
      free
      admission, a $40 value.

      Check out all the IAHA has to offer at www.iahaweb.com

      Other Weekend Events
      More Details Coming Soon!

      Once again MHC will be a weekend packed with fun and exciting events. We
      are still working on many of the details of some of the events including
      the Friday workshops, Friday evening reception and bus tour, vendor trade
      show demo area, and a Sunday raffle!

      Check our website at www.MidwestHauntersConvention.com for details as
      they become available.
    • mdftv
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 11, 2009
        Hi Barry
        I'll be there this year.
        As soon as I am done at Transworld in LV I'll be planning for MHC
        with all the usual goodies:
        Water-Melon Seminar, show specials, whatever it takes to help
        Haunters make Halloween THE yearly event for families in these tough
        times. This year haunts should be very buisy - everyone can use a
        good scream.
        With the recent void in the midwest for Haunt Trade Events this
        year's MHC is not to be missed.
        Michael Davy
        www.michaeldavy.com
        Airbrushers: be sure to check out our Airbrush Make up Sale

        --- In hauntworld@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Schieferstein"
        <scaryohio@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > The International Association of Haunted Attractions has renewed
        their
        > sponsorship of our industry's largest party. The Saturday night
        IAHA
        > Masquerade Party at MHC will once again feature heavy hors
        d'oeuvres,
        > music, dancing, contests and much more! All IAHA members will
        receive
        > free
        > admission, a $40 value.
        >
        > Check out all the IAHA has to offer at www.iahaweb.com
        >

        > Other Weekend Events
        > More Details Coming Soon!
        >
        > Once again MHC will be a weekend packed with fun and exciting
        events. We
        > are still working on many of the details of some of the events
        including
        > the Friday workshops, Friday evening reception and bus tour,

      • RUSS MCKAMEY
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7 8:15 AM
          Hi, does anyone know a company that sells "Turn Key" trailer haunts. I thought a company called R & J Productions (Rich Strelak) out of Las Vegas was in that business, but I have had no luck in contacting them. Does anyone have any information on this subject?
          Thanks, Russ

        • RUSS MCKAMEY
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7 8:16 AM
            Hi, does anyone know a company that sells "Turn Key" trailer haunts. I thought a company called R & J Productions (Rich Strelak) out of Las Vegas was in that business, but I have had no luck in contacting them. Does anyone have any information on this subject?
            Thanks, Russ

          • mm_shotzie
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 9 1:27 PM
              --- In hauntworld@yahoogroups.com, RUSS MCKAMEY

              I checked in on this and I found out they are out of business. It seems the trailers were too pricey for the amount of space. Based on the "Rule of Thumb" appearently the monetary value of the resultant haunt wasn't worth the cost. I also considered Scair Structures. They are an inflatable structure but not quit the turn-key the trailers were but had more potentail to earn back the investment much quicker. I hope this helps.
            • peter475@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 9 2:23 PM
                Our haunt consists of 10 tractor trailers. We bought the trailers used for
                between $600 and $900 each and fixed them up ourselves. I think used
                trailers are a tremendous bargain, but you need to have more than just one or two.

                Bruce Allen
                www.harvestofhorrors.com
                Falmouth, MA

              • Rich Strelak
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 14 12:54 PM
                  At 01:27 PM 3/9/2009, you wrote:

                  >--- In
                  ><mailto:hauntworld%40yahoogroups.com>hauntworld@yahoogroups.com, RUSS MCKAMEY
                  >
                  >I checked in on this and I found out they are out of business.

                  IF you are referring to R&J Productions, I am FAR from out of
                  business!!!! I do not sell or provide any complete Trailer Show
                  or any Trailer "kits"!! I am the one who has wrote the several
                  articles on Trailer Shows in Hauntworld. I DO consult on a limited basis.

                  >It seems the trailers were too pricey for the amount of space.

                  A well designed and "correctly" built Trailer show can be the MOST
                  cost effective attraction available.
                  There may have been others trying to capitalize on this and offer
                  their own variations. However with out the correct knowledge they may
                  unfortunately have a "less that satisfactory" result!

                  >Based on the "Rule of Thumb" appearently the monetary value of the
                  >resultant haunt wasn't worth the cost.

                  Again, a properly designed trailer haunt is very cost effective over
                  the long run. There are many variable to consider.
                  You have the upfront cost of buying trailers, installing all the
                  systems; electric, air, emergency systems. lights, walls, structural
                  changes, etc.
                  However the BIG advantage is this is a one time install! ANY
                  temporary event (tent or building) requires you to this EVERY year,
                  then UN INSTALL everything.
                  As in any attraction style, this one may or may not be the optimum
                  solution for your particular situation.

                  We thought of offering turnkey attractions but the market isn't
                  there. Haunters are "artisan operators".
                  By this I mean that Haunters get into the business for the creative
                  aspect of the business.
                  They want to BUILD a haunted house, not BUY a haunted house.
                  Operation becomes secondary to the creation.
                  This is why at TW you have classes for marketing or safety that are
                  absolutely VITAL in the success of
                  your attraction are virtually unattended.
                  But if you have any class with SCARE in the title.....standing room only.

                  So why would a haunter want to buy someone else's vision??
                  I have assisted haunters in the construction and design of the unique
                  space in the "trailer attraction".
                  I have design and operation secrets that I learned the hard way...and
                  they cost me lots money!!!
                  All I do is save you the expensive trial and error.
                  I feel this is what haunters want, the tricks of this unique environment.
                  Many already have props, animations, costumes, equipment...
                  they just need somewhere to display it.

                  >I also considered Scair Structures. They are an inflatable structure
                  >but not quit the turn-key the trailers were but had more potentail
                  >to earn back the investment much quicker. I hope this helps.

                  Scair is only effective for a very limited application. Unfortunately
                  it will never be a "haunted house"., a "Haunted balloon" maybe, but
                  because of its design and construction it will never be a "house" .
                  It can be utilized as a secondary attraction for a kids attraction or
                  a 3D blacklight maze. Here the design lends itself to the
                  application, much as the trailer haunt will. A Scair structure can be
                  a very effective secondary attraction, but not usually a main attraction.

                  So again, not to confuse things, R&J Productions is responsible for
                  the promotion and education of the benefits of the Trailer Style Haunt.
                  We are very much alive and "kicking" however we do not sell turn key
                  attractions. We can assist you in developing your own attraction.
                  It is only available on a limited basis as our emphasis is on
                  actually operating the attractions.
                  No one. ourselves included, is offering anything that is "new"
                  "original" or "earth shattering".
                  The trailer haunt is merely an adaption of existing and preexisting
                  concepts and applications, not of us invented it!
                  All one can hope for is experience in the style (11 season's of
                  actually building, owning and OPERATING trailer haunts) and maybe
                  your own unique style.
                  Anything above that is hype and suspect!!

                  Thanks,

                  Rich
                  Alive and kicking

                  R&J Productions
                  www.LasVegasHaunts.com
                  Las Vegas, Nevada

                • Brent Ross
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 14 1:36 PM
                    DC Design Studio would like to offer everyone our "Transworld Haunt Show"
                    discount prices prior to the show.

                    All of our armatures, books, DVD's and plug and play props are a minimum of
                    10% off with the sale running from today thru April 30th.

                    We are also offering the same 10% discount on all custom prop design and
                    labor*.

                    Check it out at www.dcprops.com <http://www.dcprops.com/> under the sales
                    section

                    Brent Ross

                    DC Design Studio, LLC.

                    P.O. Box 132

                    Mountain View, CA 94042

                    650-962-9254

                    Fax 302-338-0550

                    www.dcprops.com <http://www.dcprops.com/>

                    * Discount does not apply to raw materials, controllers, pneumatics or any
                    other non-DC Design Studio manufactured items.

                  • paulb205@verizon.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 15 7:26 AM
                      Thank you very much for your response. I do sincerely apologize for my assumption. I was looking in a trade magazine and saw a trailer that was prewired (electric, sprinkler, airlines, etc). It had hydraulics on the side walls that opened to make it bigger. All that was needed was to decorate and staff. I really liked this concept but when I looked into it I discovered this company was out of business due to cost, etc.
                      I, However, have been interested in how to do a trailer haunt but my feeble mind can't work out how to make it work in such limited space (I might just be over thinking it) so I will be visiting your website.
                      Thank you very much for correcting my error while providing me with a resource for future projects.
                      Again I apologize for starting rumors of your "untimely demise".

                      Cheers,
                      Paul Bragg
                      Chillingham Manor
                      Jackson, Ohio
                      Sent from my BlackBerry� smartphone with SprintSpeed

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 16 12:37 AM
                        The company you are referring did go out of
                        business a number of years ago (it must have been a "old" magazine!!!!)
                        They even brought it to TW Vegas one year. It was
                        in a Wells Cargo trailer. The sides dropped down and became the floor
                        of the extension. They didn't have any structural
                        engineering to back up such a design. It was WAY expensive!!!

                        I would suggest getting a hold of the first issue
                        of Hauntworld or looking up the archived article I did on Trailer Haunts.
                        It will at least get you started "wrapping your head".!!!

                        Working in the tighter environment does require a
                        special knack, but once you learn the tricks of
                        the trade it is no different than any other environment.
                        In any environment you learn to maximize the
                        benefit and minimize the drawbacks.

                        rich

                        R&J Productions
                        www.LasVegasHaunts.com