Re: [HauntWorld] Re: Best Story for Haunts I've seen this year!!!

  • darkrides@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
      They interviewed me for an hour on this article and the basis of their article was everything I told them. They wanted to know why there are fewer haunts and I told them because walmarts, subdivisions or loft apartments took away a lot of locations. I also told them that the people haunting now are the people who really want to do and not as many get rich quick haunters exist anymore which is a good thing!!!!

      The article I think was too short to get national press like it did.

      Larry

      Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 03:07:07 -0600
      Subject: Best Story for Haunts I've seen this year!!!

      http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=606067

      I did an interview for this paper but the story was on Allen Bennet. I think it came out making our industry look really nice.

      I could have done hundreds of interviews but I just kept turning them down I got kinda sick of it. I must have had 100 requests for interviews this year but I can't do them all day and all night...LOL.

      Anyway out of all the ones I've seen this year I think this one is the best for our industry!

      Larry

      Sincerely,
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      Dark Ride Productions/Halloween Productions
      darkrides@...

      For Haunters Who Do Fright Right!!

      Post message: hauntworld@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: hauntworld-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
        We have a haunted yard (yeah... my home) - with all proceeds going to
        Make-A-Wish....

        The local "big boys" are charging $18 a person.... $18!!!!! That's NUTS!!!

        Earlier in the year, we checked into having the haunt at a closed down
        grocery store... but the insurance was $2000!!!

        This year, we brought in (from Victims donations alone) just over $2000....
        Sponsors give supplies, not much cash.... so if we were to run the haunt 'off
        site' - I would have to charge admission... or eat up the entire donation to
        MAW!!!

        By charging admission - and going off site, we would be "welcoming in" the
        local autorities and worst of all INSPECTORS.... who are the same jerks that
        have closed down about 1/3 of the local "big boys"... cause all of a sudden they
        don't like haunted houses... In fact, we were given the maze from the Ottawa
        IL Jaycees Haunted House, because of such a closing!

        Hopefully, if the big boys close - more of us little guys will start haunting
        for charity, and not for PROFIT.

        Karen
        DoomOnDurham.com

      • Dave Tombleson
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
          Before you go criticizing the "big boys" for making a profit, realize that
          many
          of them give a very significant part of their proceeds to charity. It is a
          long
          standing tradition in the haunt industry, and while not everyone does it,
          you
          will find that many very big haunts raise a lot of money for good causes.
          Let's
          not wish them ill just because they are successful.

          Dave

          ----Original Message Follows----
          We have a haunted yard (yeah... my home) - with all proceeds going to
          Make-A-Wish....

          The local "big boys" are charging $18 a person.... $18!!!!! That's NUTS!!!

          Earlier in the year, we checked into having the haunt at a closed down
          grocery store... but the insurance was $2000!!!

          This year, we brought in (from Victims donations alone) just over $2000....
          Sponsors give supplies, not much cash.... so if we were to run the haunt
          'off
          site' - I would have to charge admission... or eat up the entire donation to
          MAW!!!

          By charging admission - and going off site, we would be "welcoming in" the
          local authorities and worst of all INSPECTORS.... who are the same jerks
          that
          have closed down about 1/3 of the local "big boys"... cause all of a sudden
          they
          don't like haunted houses... In fact, we were given the maze from the Ottawa
          IL Jaycees Haunted House, because of such a closing!

          Hopefully, if the big boys close - more of us little guys will start
          haunting
          for charity, and not for PROFIT.

          Karen
          DoomOnDurham.com

        • Lisa KH
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
            And, in the same vein, if we don't have the "big boys" out there, to what do
            we aspire?

            I volunteer at a charity haunt. We charge for admission, with the net
            proceeds going to local Special Olympics teams. We are completely
            volunteer, all the actors and behind the scene people get nothing out of it
            but an end of season party, and if you put in enough hours, a T-shirt. We
            beg and plead for things to use as props. But, there is not a one of us
            that wouldn't like to have the funding to be one of the "big boys". We
            would love to have the animatronics and high dollar props, instead of the
            dummies made out of foam and old clothes.

            I am not sure how to say what I am trying to say, except that, I think we
            need the big boys. Whether we are home haunters or charity haunts, we don't
            want to see people going out of business.

            Lisa

            "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most
            precious and valuable possession of mankind." - Theodorus Gaza

            "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too
            dark to read." - Groucho Marx

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • joedogndonna
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 5, 2005
              OK, time for my two cents.
              Big Boys vs. Chairity Haunts

              The "Big Boys" or should I say boy here in town has become
              everything the other poster meant. They are a totally for profit
              under disquise as a charity. they allow the chairity set-up a
              trinket stand outside and they get to keep all the money the trinket
              stand brings in. They are known to go and undermine advertising by
              puling flyers down, posing as members of the charity haunts to stop
              information from being told at local schools, and to buy air time on
              competing radio stations (the "owner" works for another station)
              tells them to go ahead cash the check I will bring you "our" pre-
              produced commercials to play.

              Once the check clears he then steps up and says why are you giving
              those haunts "free" air time and making me pay? I demand you give me
              that same time free. Well folks, in the world of radio and TV today
              they sign contracts, legal binding contracts. This weasel penned in
              the small print on his side every "free" spot from a competing haunt
              equals a free spot for his. Effectively killing all PSA's for the
              chairity haunts. BTW he made this deal mid September, he never
              delivered the pre-made spots to our sponsering chairity stations. We
              find all this out last week of October

              In my near forty years I have nevr wished ill-will or bad luck upon
              anyone. Until this year, this so called big boys is only such
              because he has DEEP pockets behind him. My partners and I fought and
              lost a battle to keep our doors open, only to hit another wall in
              funding the move. We overcame that. We then built a small building,
              passed all inspections, and moved our entire haunt. One week later
              from the day we started building we opened. We had news crews
              covering the "Haunt that wouldn't die" that week. Then all of the
              sudden all our good press died to nothing. Do I hate the big boys of
              the haunting world? No, Just one. Do I wish the "for Profit" haunts
              would go away? No, Just one.

              My background before haunting is auto racing. We had a term that
              fits small haunts and the big boys. "Cubic dollars out will run
              cubic inches everytime, but well built inches will make the dollars
              take notice." This one "big boys" is a black eye to the industry.

              Ok, Stepping down from my soap box
            • DoomOnDurham@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 5, 2005
                Amen brother Joe!

                Okay.... first off, PSA's MUST get aired because it's a requirement of the
                FCC..... but ofcourse, that could mean the PSA is aired at 2am....

                Sometimes, it's best to walk your own dog... meaning, you should GO to the
                radio station.... try to get an onair interview with the radio personalities....
                tell your side of the story, without naming names... And NEVER count on
                someone actually DOING what they SAY they will!! I am sure you can make up your own
                PSA - Our local radio people took us under their wings when we stood there
                going "huh? We don't know how to....." And as long as all proceeds are going to
                a charity (we benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation) people usually step up
                quickly.

                Well - there is a lot to do before next year!!

                Karen

              • DoomOnDurham@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 5, 2005
                  Yes, I agree, for wishing ill will is bad charma... I just wonder how much
                  the big boys, who are charging $18 a head, are bringing in... especially when
                  people who were coming to our yard haunt event said we were BETTER than them!
                  $12 would be a lot for a 10 minute event as well!

                  If we want to charge admission, so that hubby and I aren't putting in $3000 a
                  year, to make the haunt work... we then become the punching bag for the
                  city... ugh.

                  The haunt that charges $18 here, is put on by VOLUNTEERS.... I guess I am
                  still trying to figure it all out.

                  Karen

                • Donna M
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 5, 2005
                    that was also in his "prenup" (going to station for on
                    air talks) That was more the main part. He shot dirty
                    pool this year and next year it WILL bite him. But
                    enough of sour grapes....... Time to begin Plans for
                    next year.

                    http://farechase.yahoo.com