fall activites for our group

  • harthomeschool-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 13, 2010
      Dianna would like to plan a day to invite everyone to come out to her property and sort of a fun fall day, apple bobbing, roasting marshmallows, look for fall leaves, take a hike, etc.
      Would everyone rather do that on a Tuesday or on a weekend with dads?

      Daina and Karen Jo would also like to plan a day to make firestarters with parafin using sawdust, pinecones, and newspaper. We can make a good science project out it. We can do it at the park with camp stoves. Karen Jo has some training for work next Tuesday as well as the first three Tuesdays in November and then Thanksgiving is the next week, so Oct. 26th is really the best day for Karen Jo

      We had talked about maybe doing something fun on the 26th. Since some of our families aren't too keen on the whole halloweeen thing, we could do more of a Fall theme.

      So, what are everyone's thoughts about
      1. do we want to plan something for the 26th- firestarters or something fun with fall/halloweeen or going to Dianna's?
      2. another day to go to Dianna's property?
      3. Another day for the firestarters?
    • Kristopher Alworth

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
          Sounds good to me, assuming Dianna is up for it. Dianna and I both have camp stoves, so we should be able to do the firestarters there. Everyone can bring a snack for potluck lunch.
          As for little ones, mine never wears out playing!
          kj

          --- In harthomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Kristopher Alworth <kapahaca@...> wrote:

          > It sounds like you are tied up for most Tuesdays. So could we roll all the
          > activites into one? I mean, could we go to Dianna's and do the fall theme
          > thing and include the firestarter project. Since the time spent doing these
          > things would most certainly take longer than the time spent at Round-Up
          > Park, maybe we could even have a picnic - we can each bring our own food or
          > we could all bring food for a potluck.
          >
          > But I don't have little ones, so maybe this would be too long and too
          > difficult for those who do???
          >
          > Paula
          >
          > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM, <harthomeschool-owner@yahoogroups.com>wrote:
          >

          > > Dianna would like to plan a day to invite everyone to come out to her
          > > property and sort of a fun fall day, apple bobbing, roasting marshmallows,
          > > look for fall leaves, take a hike, etc.
          > > Would everyone rather do that on a Tuesday or on a weekend with dads?
          > >
          > > Daina and Karen Jo would also like to plan a day to make firestarters with
          > > parafin using sawdust, pinecones, and newspaper. We can make a good science
          > > project out it. We can do it at the park with camp stoves. Karen Jo has some
          > > training for work next Tuesday as well as the first three Tuesdays in
          > > November and then Thanksgiving is the next week, so Oct. 26th is really the
          > > best day for Karen Jo
          > >
          > > We had talked about maybe doing something fun on the 26th. Since some of
          > > our families aren't too keen on the whole halloweeen thing, we could do more
          > > of a Fall theme.
          > >
          > > So, what are everyone's thoughts about
          > > 1. do we want to plan something for the 26th- firestarters or something fun
          > > with fall/halloweeen or going to Dianna's?
          > > 2. another day to go to Dianna's property?
          > > 3. Another day for the firestarters?

        • a du
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
            I think this sounds great.  What day does everyone want?  A Saturday would be fun for us- if the Dads can come.:)
            Andrea

            To: harthomeschool@yahoogroups.com
            From: krosebudsmom@...
            Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:47:50 +0000
            Subject: [harthomeschool] Re: fall activites for our group

            Sounds good to me, assuming Dianna is up for it. Dianna and I both have camp stoves, so we should be able to do the firestarters there. Everyone can bring a snack for potluck lunch.
            As for little ones, mine never wears out playing!
            kj

            --- In harthomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Kristopher Alworth <kapahaca@...> wrote:

            > It sounds like you are tied up for most Tuesdays. So could we roll all the
            > activites into one? I mean, could we go to Dianna's and do the fall theme
            > thing and include the firestarter project. Since the time spent doing these
            > things would most certainly take longer than the time spent at Round-Up
            > Park, maybe we could even have a picnic - we can each bring our own food or
            > we could all bring food for a potluck.
            >
            > But I don't have little ones, so maybe this would be too long and too
            > difficult for those who do???
            >
            > Paula
            >
            > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM, <harthomeschool-owner@yahoogroups.com>wrote:
            >

            > > Dianna would like to plan a day to invite everyone to come out to her
            > > property and sort of a fun fall day, apple bobbing, roasting marshmallows,
            > > look for fall leaves, take a hike, etc.
            > > Would everyone rather do that on a Tuesday or on a weekend with dads?
            > >
            > > Daina and Karen Jo would also like to plan a day to make firestarters with
            > > parafin using sawdust, pinecones, and newspaper. We can make a good science
            > > project out it. We can do it at the park with camp stoves. Karen Jo has some
            > > training for work next Tuesday as well as the first three Tuesdays in
            > > November and then Thanksgiving is the next week, so Oct. 26th is really the
            > > best day for Karen Jo
            > >
            > > We had talked about maybe doing something fun on the 26th. Since some of
            > > our families aren't too keen on the whole halloweeen thing, we could do more
            > > of a Fall theme.
            > >
            > > So, what are everyone's thoughts about
            > > 1. do we want to plan something for the 26th- firestarters or something fun
            > > with fall/halloweeen or going to Dianna's?
            > > 2. another day to go to Dianna's property?
            > > 3. Another day for the firestarters?

          • cdmorefield
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 17, 2010
              A Saturday would be fun. I am having a birthday party for my mom at our place this Saturday the 23rd. I was thinking the 26th or the 30th would be the best, but I would really be happy to do any day that the most people can make it.

              I was planning on having apple bobbing and I have a big pile of leaves for the kids to play in. We also have a trampoline and sandbox, there is a target and throwing knives that can be used to at each mamas discretion. I was also going to start a fire and have marshmallows to roast. If it is cold we can do hot cocoa. It is hunting season right now so we can hike around the upper 10 acres but I wouldn't feel safe having hikes in the creek bottom.

              As far as a lunch goes I don't mind doing a potluck or each family bringing picnic lunches. For my moms party I am going to do dutch oven cooking is that something that is of interest? I will bring plenty of water for drinking and washing and we have a port-a-potty but other than that there are no modern conveniences.

              Let me know what you all think would work best.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 18, 2010
                Ok, it is official. I made a post in the calendar for the 26th.
                Fun, potluck, and firestarters.
                Can everyone save sawdust and lint.
                We also need either large one-gallon tin cans or someone to donate an old pot to the cause.
                kj

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 20, 2010
                  Some of us who attended the homeschooling playgroup yesterday were discussing the logistics of having a potluck at Dianna's 20 acres.  We concluded that because the Fall Activity Day is going to be outside (and thus we will not have access to refrigeration for keeping foods cold or stove/ovens for keeping foods warm), a picnic style lunch may be a better choice for food.  So how about each of us bringing food for our own little ones?  It'll probably be much more simple that way..  And of course, if someone wants to bring something to contribute to the whole group, that is welcome.

                  Thanka you, Dianna, for beingi willing to do this.  Is there anything that any of the rest of us can do or bring in order to help make this Fall Activity Day happen?

                  Paula

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 20, 2010
                    We are actually brining the propane cook stoves if someone does want to bring something. Not too worried about keeping things cold, I bet an ice chest will do fine in October. We can bring things like pasta salad or cheese sticks or sausage balls or other finger snacks.