Re: [harthomeschool] Art classes for homeschoolers

  • Kristopher Alworth
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2010
      Thanks Tamsin.

      I just got a phone call from Arlys, the executive director of TAAC.  She said they will not take kids that have not yet completed first grade.  (I think this is their policy for the summertime programs, too.  They also do not allow parents to be at the classes with the child during the summertime program.)

      She also said what they need to know first and foremost is how many kids will be attending and the ages of those kids.

      Tamsin, I like your logic...on everything.

      However, I would like to throw out there that if it were possible for our kids to get an extra day or two of ceramics, I would like to see that happen.  Is there anyone who is interested in the ceramics class and who is going on the field trip to Taos on the 22nd?  If not, maybe we can start ceramics then.  If so, then I will be grateful for the four days of ceramics that our kids will get.

      Also, since all the kids that will be in ceramics will now have to be a little older than what was first thought, I am wondering if the two hour time slot would now be appropriate.  In the summer time the time slots for all of the art classes are two hours, and  I would hate to see the teacher/kids have to rush to complete whatever project/learning they were doing.  And I would guess that ceramics would take a little more time than something like drawing, because of the clean-up factor.  But since I don't really have any "little ones" anymore :( , I'll leave the decision of how long the class should be up to those of you who do.

      I'm so excited that Hart Homeschoolers have this opportunity, and wouldn't it be nice if  opportunities like this were offered to us in the future???

      Paula

      On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Tamsin Clark <tamsinjc@...> wrote:

      Hello Paula and homeschool mommas,

      Yes, we would love to participate and would be more interested in the ceramics than drawing and painting.  I will have one 8 year old (who will do jumping jacks for ceramics) and one 4 year old (that I will assists).  I feel 4 weeks would be best this Fall. Why?  Because a) there are already 2 friday field trips planned this month and b) holidays.  Starting friday, October 29th and going to friday, November 19th would not overlap with any already scheduled field trips and would finish right before Thanksgiving.  December is a family month for us so we are less likely to commit to anything then.  As far as time goes I feel 1 1/2 hours starting at 10:00am is good.  Why? Because 1 hour may be too short for our older kiddos and 2 hours may be too long for our younger ones.  As far as donations go I get the feeling that the Arts Council would like us to make our own donation decision.  How about we all agree to a minimum donation per child? If we individually would like to do more than that we can.  What about  a minimum of $2.50/child per day = $10/child for 4 classes ?

      Hope this helps.  :):) Tamsin

      To: harthomeschool@yahoogroups.com
      From: kapahaca@...
      Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 05:33:06 -0600

      Subject: [harthomeschool] Art classes for homeschoolers

      Hello everyone.

      Because of conversations over the summer, the Trinidad Area Arts Council (TAAC) is interested in offering our homeschooled students art classes.  The mediums of art would be drawing, painting, and/or ceramics.  TAAC has said that the ceramics class is for ages 10 and up, but because several of us mothers would prefer ceramics over drawing and painting (with the thought being we can do drawing and painting at home with our children, whereas doing ceramics would be an opportunity most children don't have at home), the TAAC is currently discussing the possibility of allowing younger children to participate with Mom's help.  The classes would most likely be Fridays from 10 am to 12 pm (or just one hour on Friday, depending on what we want).  The program would run as long as we want it to, from as little as 4 weeks to as much as 6 weeks or 8 weeks.

      The TAAC is hoping that we would be willing to donate money for this cause.  However, they will not tell us a specific amount to donate, as they would want each of us to donate money based on what we each think we can afford, what we each think is appropriate.  The lady I spoke with said they are "committed to children's programs" and "committed to helping the community".  She also said that they are in the process of applying for grants.

      The sooner we get back to them with number of participants and what we are willing to donate, the sooner TAAC can start the program.  They said they may even be able to start by next Friday (October 15).  So...please respond to either this group or to me personally (my email is kapahaca@...) with number of children in your family who will be participating, which class/classes you would interested in, if you would prefer a one hour or two hour session, the number of weeks you would like to have this program continue, and how much you would be willing to donate for entire program.

      If you have any questions, please call me at (719) 859-6494.

      Paula

    • Tamsin Clark
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2010
        Hello again Paula and Mommas,

        Thanks for the update.  Lindsey is 8 and will be thrilled to participate. Gavin will have something to look forward to when he's finished first grade. Yes, I agree to up the time to 2 hours.  I understand your wanting to add another week.  We, however, have some other obligations and would not be able to participate until October 29th.  I know we could commit to 4 weeks starting then.  Is there any reason why we couldn't have another or longer session in January/February/March?

        Thanks much, Tamsin

        To: harthomeschool@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2010
          What is the age cut-off? Rolanda mentioned that the child had to finish 1st grade.
          kj

          --- In harthomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Kristopher Alworth <kapahaca@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone.
          >
          > Because of conversations over the summer, the Trinidad Area Arts Council
          > (TAAC) is interested in offering our homeschooled students art classes. The
          > mediums of art would be drawing, painting, and/or ceramics. TAAC has said
          > that the ceramics class is for ages 10 and up, but because several of us
          > mothers would prefer ceramics over drawing and painting (with the thought
          > being we can do drawing and painting at home with our children, whereas
          > doing ceramics would be an opportunity most children don't have at home),
          > the TAAC is currently discussing the possibility of allowing younger
          > children to participate with Mom's help. The classes would most likely be
          > Fridays from 10 am to 12 pm (or just one hour on Friday, depending on what
          > we want). The program would run as long as we want it to, from as little as
          > 4 weeks to as much as 6 weeks or 8 weeks.
          >
          > The TAAC is hoping that we would be willing to donate money for this cause.
          > However, they will not tell us a specific amount to donate, as they would
          > want each of us to donate money based on what we each think we can afford,
          > what we each think is appropriate. The lady I spoke with said they are
          > "committed to children's programs" and "committed to helping the
          > community". She also said that they are in the process of applying for
          > grants.
          >
          > The sooner we get back to them with number of participants and what we are
          > willing to donate, the sooner TAAC can start the program. They said they
          > may even be able to start by next Friday (October 15). So...please respond
          > to either this group or to me personally (my email is kapahaca@...)
          > with number of children in your family who will be participating, which
          > class/classes you would interested in, if you would prefer a one hour or two
          > hour session, the number of weeks you would like to have this program
          > continue, and how much you would be willing to donate for entire program.
          >
          > If you have any questions, please call me at (719) 859-6494.
          >
          > Paula

        • Kristopher Alworth
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2010
            No age cut-off was mentioned...only that each child had to have finished first grade.

            Paula

            On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 1:59 PM, krosebudsmom <krosebudsmom@...> wrote:

            What is the age cut-off? Rolanda mentioned that the child had to finish 1st grade.
            kj

            --- In harthomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Kristopher Alworth <kapahaca@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone.
            >
            > Because of conversations over the summer, the Trinidad Area Arts Council
            > (TAAC) is interested in offering our homeschooled students art classes. The
            > mediums of art would be drawing, painting, and/or ceramics. TAAC has said
            > that the ceramics class is for ages 10 and up, but because several of us
            > mothers would prefer ceramics over drawing and painting (with the thought
            > being we can do drawing and painting at home with our children, whereas
            > doing ceramics would be an opportunity most children don't have at home),
            > the TAAC is currently discussing the possibility of allowing younger
            > children to participate with Mom's help. The classes would most likely be
            > Fridays from 10 am to 12 pm (or just one hour on Friday, depending on what
            > we want). The program would run as long as we want it to, from as little as
            > 4 weeks to as much as 6 weeks or 8 weeks.
            >
            > The TAAC is hoping that we would be willing to donate money for this cause.
            > However, they will not tell us a specific amount to donate, as they would
            > want each of us to donate money based on what we each think we can afford,
            > what we each think is appropriate. The lady I spoke with said they are
            > "committed to children's programs" and "committed to helping the
            > community". She also said that they are in the process of applying for
            > grants.
            >
            > The sooner we get back to them with number of participants and what we are
            > willing to donate, the sooner TAAC can start the program. They said they
            > may even be able to start by next Friday (October 15). So...please respond
            > to either this group or to me personally (my email is kapahaca@...)

            > with number of children in your family who will be participating, which
            > class/classes you would interested in, if you would prefer a one hour or two
            > hour session, the number of weeks you would like to have this program
            > continue, and how much you would be willing to donate for entire program.
            >
            > If you have any questions, please call me at (719) 859-6494.
            >
            > Paula

          • Kristopher Alworth
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2010
              Hello again ladies.

              Tamsin, I apologize.  I must have misunderstood you.  I had thought you said that you were not going on the field trips on the 22nd and the 29th, and I didn't remember you mentioning any other obligations other than the ones starting in December.  That's why I posted that as a possiblity for extending the class to 5 or 6 weeks.  Oops.  Sorry.

              To other participating moms...I also didn't know of any other participating families going on those field trips (other than Cave of the Winds on the 15th).  If I was wrong about that, please accept my apology.  I have been trying to keep everyone's requests in mind, but I have to admit they are getting a little bit jumbled up in my head. :)

              Here is an update on our pursuit of the Trinidad Area Arts Council ceramics class...

              I talked with Arlys Krim of the TAAC today.  I told her the following:

              So far we have at least 8 children who will be attending, and we might have as much as 11 or more children attending depending on a few particular situations.

              These are our little ones who will be attending:

              Lindsey 8; Carson 9; Isiaah 8; Carter 10;  Elijah 10; Hayden 11; Noah 12; Virginia 17.

              Sherry's kids (August 10, and Chaya 8) also might attend.

              Because of Sherry's situation, I had asked Arlys if TAAC would consider offering the ceramics program on any other day of the week, particularly Tuesdays.  She said the only day and time they can do ceramics is on Fridays between 10 and 12.

              Arlys voiced her concerns about doing a two-hour class since some of the children are as young as they are.  She said that even though children 7 and under will not be attending, ceramics is a process that takes a lot of concentration to carry out and she fears some of the younger children might easily become frustrated.  So I requested that she and Ms. Nava (the teacher) discuss what they think will be best, taking into consideration the wide age-range of the children who will be attending, and then let us know.  They may go with only one hour; they may go with 1 1/2 hours; they may go with one hour of ceramics and another hour of some other form of art (I reiterated that we were primarily interested in the ceramics); or they may offer another alternative.  I don't know.  But they are trying to work with us, and at this point in the process, trusting their judgment may be the best thing we can do in order to help make this a reality that will begin soon enough to meet all of our schedule constraints .

              As far as there being any exceptions to the grade-level and age requirement - there are none.  In the summertime TAAC requires that children be at least 10 or more (I can't remember what age exactly, but I know it is at least 10) in order to participate in the ceramics program.  Again, I think it is pretty intense.  So TAAC is already going above and beyond to accomodate our needs by letting our 8 and 9 year olds participate.

              I'll let you know more information as I get more.

              Thanks.

              Paula

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2010
                Oh, well, we can wait till next year. I completely understand the cut-off for age. Katherine still needs "reminders" at story time, one of the disadvantages of not having my kids in a class with 30 kids to all sit quietly, etc.
                Paula,
                Thanks for all your work to set this up!