Re: [harthomeschool] Re: Possibly Moving

  • Ashley Hawkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2012

      Thanks I'm am a little taken back by Colorado being considered pro-homeschooling growing up in Texas & Oklahoma home there are no requirements for homeschooling so all this "registering" & record keeping & testing is a little foreign & worrisome to me but we will just have to see where the good lord takes us.

      On Jul 4, 2012 10:30 AM, "krosebudsmom" <krosebudsmom@...> wrote:

      Raton is just south of the NM border and Trinidad is just north of the border. We made this group to include both towns, but so far all our members live in the Trinidad area, so I can not tell you about the legal issues in NM.

      Colorado is very pro-homeschooling. Only have to do three things- write a letter of intent every year (I don't because I pay $25 a year to belong to an umbrella school,) keep records for hs 4 hours a day, and take an approved test every odd year and send the records to a school district. The state will even provide all your curricula if you choose, several k-12 online programs, but then you are still being overseen by the state.

      Job openings In Trindad are just as bad as anywhere else, especially in a small town. We have 700 natural gas wells all over the hills around Trinidad, but supposedly they laid off a bunch of people recently. The re-opened a coal mine about 6 months ago and everyone got all excited about a boosted economy in Trinidad, but I don't think hired as many people as they had hoped and production is slower than then predicted. I don't know anything about Raton, but it is smaller then Trinidad. Cimarron is very tiny and very far from anything else. Taos is way, way to expensive. Eagle Nest is mostly recreational.

      Good luck.