The Physical Plane and the Philosophers Stone part 3

  • M.Clifford
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2005
      We're going down the trapdoor...

      Once the seeker has meditated on the principles of his counsel for a
      due time there is only one thing left to do. The seeker must take
      his leap of faith
      (detach from his physical place).

      The Through the Trapdoor sequence is one of the most popular parts
      of the whole series. Maybe this is because it resonates so deeply
      with a the leap of faith allegory that, at least, most of us feel
      rather strongly about. Instinctively and from the literary angle we
      realise that the whole story is about the under the trapdoor
      sequence and is revealed in it. This is also true of the seeker
      journey, it is all about the leap of faith and the leap of faith
      encompasses it all.

      The first trifle Harry encounters on his journey through the
      trapdoor is Fluffy, a Cerberus guardian of the underworld. Fluffy,
      is the contemplation that every seeker will go through in his
      detachment from his physical place, Death.

      The way to pass Fluffy is to soothe him to sleep with beautiful
      music. Now that, as an answer to death, is an analogy of some
      complexity, that I don't think can be explained. It can be felt and
      believed in (hence the soothingness) received like a beautiful song
      (hence the music allegory) and put to a temporary restfulness (hence
      the sleeping Fluffy). What Dumbledore says about death being the
      next great adventure, is probably as close as anything can get.
      While facing Fluffy Harry also sees the great adventure beyond him,
      just as Dumbledore sees the adventure beyond death. It is clear to
      me that HP deals with death quite a while sooner than we might
      realise.

      Under the trapdoor the children fall in and land on the Devils
      Snare. Here is where JKR is letting us know in some 'not so subtle'
      ways that Harry has taken his great leap of faith.
      First they jump into the door without knowing or being able to see
      what is below.
      Secondly they are caught in Devils Snare which wraps tighter if you
      struggle and releases if you just remain calm. (Faithful) Hermione
      and Harry are able to do this and they are released from the Snare.

      Ron, the past self, struggles and finds it difficult to remain calm
      and faithful. This makes sense in that it is the mortality (past
      self) of the seeker that struggles with the leap of faith. The mind
      and the transforming self are a step ahead because they have less
      dependence on the physical place than the mortally bound past self.

      Further to this we see that Hermione (the mind) sheds light on the
      Devils Snare for Ron (the past self ) and he is freed by the Light
      from Hermione. We call this the Enlightenment of the Mind.

      The next room challenges the seeker to find the winged key. I like
      the winged key a lot, partly because I recognise the symbol in a
      personal way, and also because it has great meaning, and does a
      really good job expressing the souls allegory of flying and becoming
      the holder of the winged key to the reader.

      The Winged Key is faith, old fashioned and bent on one side like its
      been treated roughly before but, it is the one thing that will open
      the 'heavy' wooden door ahead. Harry the youngest seeker in a
      century has a knack of spotting things that others don't see. He
      catches the Key.

      This, all, is the seekers *Faith* fully realised. So from here the
      Trio begins to represent detaching from the physical place.

      I have been putting this one off for a while. I have known from the
      start that this will be the best part analysing the Philsophers
      Stone and will also be the hardest.

      The next room is the Chess board. This is where the past self of
      mortality is left behind by the seeker. So logically this is where
      Rons journey ends too. Getting across the Chess board represents
      going through motions of physical detachment.

      I have thought long and hard about doing this... I am doing it.

      Luke 18: 18 A Certain Ruler Asked him, saying Good Master, what
      shall I do to inherit eternal life?

      *** Harry: "Now What do we do?" [To get to the Philosophers Stone]***

      Luke 18:22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack
      one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you
      will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

      *** Ron : Its obvious isn't it! [ Play Chess ]***

      [23] When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of
      great wealth.

      [24] Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to
      enter the kingdom of God! [25] Indeed, it is easier for a camel to
      go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the
      kingdom of God."

      *** Hermone: How? [nervously] ***

      [26] Those who heard this asked, "Who then can be saved?"

      [27] Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with
      God."

      *** Ron to the Black Knight: "Do we - er - have to join you to get
      across" *** Narrative: The Black Knight nodded ***

      [28] Peter said to him, "We have left all we had to follow you!"

      *** Harry : "We're not offended Just tell us what to do" ***

      [29] "I tell you the truth," Jesus said to them, "no one who has
      left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of
      the kingdom of God [30] will fail to receive many times as much in
      this age and, in the age to come, eternal life."

      *** Ron: "That's Chess! You've got to make some sacrifices." ***

      After that is the Troll which is already defeated and I will talk
      more about it in an appendix of things in this series of posts.

      The Logic Puzzle, oh gosh, now how do I top the Chess game... (I
      wonder if JKR thought the same thing..)

      This Logic puzzle is one that is solved by deduction, Syllogisms,
      the historical founder of syllogism was Aristotle. Aristotle was
      called not a great philosopher, but "The Philosophers Stone" by
      Scholastic thinkers. Aristotles works on logic were compiled into
      six books at about the same time of Christ (historical).

      Aristotles three term syllogisms were a favourite of Lewis Carroll
      (Alice through the Looking Glass), who compiled them in numbers and
      was often to be found campaigning that children should rather be
      taught to devise logical conclusions than have the wonder stifled by
      the insistence of so called *facts*.

      Now the logic puzzle, as well as being totally stuffed overflowing
      with juicy plot portends, including the fact that it was Snapes
      choice of protection, is abundant with three term syllogisms. There
      are 16 lines in all which is Four Squared, more than plenty for
      enough logic fun to represent the way Aristotle saw God.

      God to Aristotle is a being with everlasting life, and perfect
      blessedness, ****engaged in never-ending contemplation.**** (I.
      Encyclopaedia of Philosphy James Fieser, Ph.D., founder and general
      editor)

      Now rather than saying JKR is here making an idol of the 'The
      Philosopher' to children, which I seriously doubt, I am saying that
      the Logic puzzle refers to a poignant thought about the nature of
      his choice of existence.
      2 Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman
      that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

      Finally there is the mirror, and as I have said in other posts on
      this, Harry's only desire is to serve. He has no want for the
      material possession of the stone and as such finds it in his pocket.
      I totally concur with Hans interpretation of this scene as set out
      by his texts on Liberation.

      For me, as I have tried to show by this series on PS/SS, Harrys
      disinterest in material desire is the culmination of all of the
      physical and spiritual motions he has gone through to get there as
      they occur in the seeker journey.

      It becomes such as a culimination of all the seekers efforts to be
      closer to the great force (Love-God-Faith-Truth) that it is
      apparent and obvious to the seeker no material thing or gain can
      surpass the reward of being in the eternal presence and being of
      service to it. This is the Newness of the New Soul.

      This is the the last part of the series, considering that COS was
      able to be fit in a single post, it is quite amazing to me just how
      much Jo fit into the tiny PS book.

      Although I have come to the end of this series, I anticipate many
      questions about 'missed pieces' will need to be answered, especially
      for the resident LOON's. Which is why I am currently working on an
      appendix to this set. In it will be answers to questions you might
      ask such as:
      Why isn't DADA listed in part 2,
      What is the Troll all about, it seems pretty important.
      and not least of all....
      Why is Snape the Professor of Wisdom shouldn't that be DD or someone
      else?

      It's taking a long time to get through PS/SS and I'd like to have a
      go at POA and maybe even GOF eventually, if you're still interested
      in my analyses after I have talked your ear off about this one.. lol

      I just want to thank Hans personally for his encouraging words, and
      I appreciate your perpective that my musings are rather abstract,
      which kind of made me laugh. If they're abstract to you now, you
      wouldn't want to see my working copies... *snicker* I am pretty
      talented at wading through large chunks of abstract thought all at
      once, but most people don't do that as habitually as I do, so I
      reach the conclusion sometimes a bit quickly for some, and unless I
      was willing to write several chapters describing my method, the some
      that find my conclusion premature are bound to either write it off
      as thoughtless jibberish, or else perhaps still a little abstract in
      its reasoning.

      Anyway, I prefer to leave it in abstract forms too because like
      Lewis Carrol, and JK Rowling I prefer not to underestimate the
      abilities of others to reason for themselves, and I think laying
      down a scientific method to every last conclusion for the reader to
      follow only taints the truth. I'd rather campaign that we teach our
      children to study and logic for themselves than to dictate what
      logic has provided to us.

      Valky
      Rushing to get as much of this done as possible before term starts.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2005
        "M.Clifford" <Aisbelmon@...> wrote:
        We're going down the trapdoor...

        Hans:
        I have read through this post several times, each time enjoying it more. I seriously think we should start thinking about putting the best posts into a book eventually. It would be a wonderful book, but whether anyone would want to read it is another question. I wonder if we'd find a publisher.

        Anyway I'm putting this one into my "Beautiful Posts" folder for future rereading.

        No immediate relevant comments come to mind, but this post will merge into my thoughts and become part of them for future contemplation and discussion.

        Hans

        "If I talk too freely about whether I believe in God I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what's coming in the books." JK Rowling
        Hans Rieuwers

      • M.Clifford
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2005
          > Hans:
          > I have read through this post several times, each time enjoying it
          more. I seriously think we should start thinking about putting the
          best posts into a book eventually. It would be a wonderful book, but
          whether anyone would want to read it is another question. I wonder
          if we'd find a publisher.

          > Anyway I'm putting this one into my "Beautiful Posts" folder for
          future rereading.

          > No immediate relevant comments come to mind, but this post will
          merge into my thoughts and become part of them for future
          contemplation and discussion.

          > Hans

          Oh Gosh Hans you flatter me way too much.
          My words are clumsy and intellectual, if God is in them then it is
          because he is looking for you, and by no manner because I put him
          there.

          Still I thankyou Hans for your wonderful kindness and for being here
          as a companion seeker, and the same to Marianna and Aldo, Alison,
          Linda, John, Iris, Renee.... goodness the list is enormous... I
          shouldn't rattle on with that so much now should I.. *blush*

          Hmmm now I wanted to talk some more about faith. I hope nobody minds
          if I cleave to this subject just a little longer.

          Just a little aside: I was reading the Tao of Pooh just yesterday
          and was truck with just how much I related to this allegory lately.
          The writer made note that Pooh and Piglet were discussing what they
          first thought every morning.
          Pooh says each morning he wonders what there is to eat today.
          Piglet said each morning he first thinks what exciting thing will
          happen today.
          To which Pooh replies yes, it's the same thing...

          Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it..

          Now on Faith, I have spent a good deal of my posting lately talking
          about Faith fully realised and that as metaphors this translates
          into Principle/Faith, Loyalty/Faith, and Trust/Faith.

          The historical Jesus Christ manifestly realised each one, I believe.
          To some degree I assume he must have done, because his faith was
          perfect. His principle faith is clear, as he made no secret of his
          firm belief in everlasting life. His loyalty faith also clear,
          manifestly realised in two obvious places in the historical account,
          firstly in the desert (sacral plexus, Hans! Just like Harry) when he
          resisted the temptations of the 'Devil' for an enduring time, the
          second being when he had been nailed to the cross of his crucifixion
          and loyal in his love of the people asked God for their forgiveness.

          The third, Trust Faith, may not be so clear, and that is the
          contemplation I have been mulling over today. Trust Faith I related
          in words, as the identification of faith and the belief in faith
          itself. This realisation of faith corresponds, interestingly to the
          two books in the Harry Potter series the inversly represent each
          other. Fascinatingly the average reactions to these two books are
          equally inverse.

          Ask many Harry Potter fans which book is their favourite and quite
          often the answer will be Prisoner of Azkaban. Inversley ask which
          has been least favourite to date, and do not be surprised if that
          person says with equal conviction that their least favourite is
          Order of The Phoenix.

          These books are the mirror books of Trust/Faith.

          So what is Trust/Faith, and why is the realisation of it wonderful,
          while the immortal significance of it, perfectly awful?

          Well first I'd like to look to Jesus Christ and find his manifest
          Trust/Faith.. I would like to propose that this is Miracles.

          I propose we loved Sirius so much because he was Harry's miracle,
          and POA was the book of miracles.

          Lets look at some of the stuff that shows it.
          Sirius - the Star of the East - a miracle
          the Firebolt - miraculously appears when Harry needs it most.
          The Weasleys the poorest Wizards win Sweepstakes, Ron gets a wand of
          his own
          Gryffindor finally wins the Quidditch Cup just in time for Oliver
          Wood to share the Glory that he has so longed for.

          There are probably more but I think that pretty much makes it clear.

          The book of miracles (POA) realises trust faith for us, and our
          hearts swell with joy. Then OOtP strips away the mortality of it and
          we are dashed and confounded, is this because we don't truly believe
          in miracles, although we want to?

          Valky