Remus John Lupin

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2004
      Most of us really like Remus John Lupin. He's a very
      good teacher, and he's kind to Harry and Neville. He
      teaches Harry a charm that saves his life several
      times: the patronus. He is extremely flawed, which
      makes us sympathise with him, but at the same time
      fills us with revulsion: he's a werewolf.

      Have you ever noticed how often Jo mentions his
      greying hair? It's five times, actually, plus once
      when she mentions his "grey face". This is what gave
      me the clue that he's the equivalent to the grey king
      in "The Alchemical Wedding". This king is described as
      "a very old king with a grey beard". There, the grey
      king personifies the opposite force to the black king.
      That's Snape, whom I discussed in my previous post. If
      Snape personifies our shadow side, it's obvious that
      Lupin personifies the opposite.

      Why is he grey? Grey is the symbol of ripeness of
      experience. The microcosm of a person going the Path
      of Liberation has an extremely long journey behind it.
      It's "old" in terms of having been through every
      possible kind of experience and having learned a great
      deal from that.

      Grey is also the opposite of black here. As I said in
      my last post, in this time-spatial universe nothing is
      pure white, i.e. good in the absolute sense.
      Everything here, no matter how good, is flawed. We
      know that Lupin is extremely flawed. Through no fault
      of his own he was bitten by a werewolf as a child. I'm
      not sure why Jo has chosen lycanthropy as Lupin's
      flaw. It may be just a plot device to set up the
      marauders. That works extremely effectively, as I'm
      sure we all agree. It explains why James was a stag,
      Peter a rat, and Sirius a dog. I think the most
      essential thing was to give James the ability to turn
      into a stag, as that is the symbol for the longing for
      liberation. Making Peter a rat was extremely
      effective, as his physical presence on Ron's body
      really emphasised his attachment to the old earthly
      personality. Making Sirius a dog was very suitable for
      allowing him to escape from prison and to sneak around
      Hogwarts, and the dog is obvious from Sirius' nickname
      as the "dog star".

      There may be a deeper meaning behind Lupin's
      lycanthropy, but the main point is that Lupin is very
      flawed, as is every type of goodness on earth. For one
      thing, there is no definition of what is "good". It's
      very subjective and usually we define as "good"
      whatever promotes our desires and "bad" as whatever
      thwarts them. In fact we can only get a clear idea of
      goodness by comparing it to evil. It's been discussed
      many times that without evil, there would be no good.
      Good and evil really hold each other in balance in
      this world.

      However the main point is that we're all living in a
      "prison" outside of the real world. Our destination is
      not INSIDE the prison but OUTSIDE of it! Hence
      whatever we do inside the prison is only of temporary
      benefit. The prisoners can help each other or make
      things even more miserable than they are, but their
      one and only task is to get OUT of the prison.

      And now I'm going to say something really shocking and
      controversial. If our task is to get out, but many do
      gooders in the prison are working to make life as
      comfortable as possible under the circumstances,
      trying to forget the bad conditions, trying to forget
      the radiant world of sunshine, fresh air and glorious
      FREEDOM outside of the prison, then is that not
      actually bad? In the opinion of the prisoners these do
      gooders are making life in the prison less unbearable,
      and so they're considered good, but in actual fact
      they're "drugging" the prisoners into forgetting about
      liberation, which is their one and only purpose. So
      doing good may seem wonderful from one point of view,
      but extremely evil from another. And so that's another
      aspect of the grey king.

      Fortunately this is one thing Lupin doesn't do! For
      does he not teach Harry to invoke the patronus? In the
      apprentice alchemist, Remus John Lupin personifies the
      force which realises the impotence of its goodness,
      the flawed nature of itself, and so encourages the new
      soul to long for the fresh, cool, clear Living Water,
      which will refresh it, give it new courage, and drive
      off the forces that oppose it.

      And so we can see that Remus has the lightest shade of
      grey possible in this world. He was a friend of James
      the stag and Lily the priceless flower of eternal
      life. He cares greatly for their son, the new eternal
      soul and helps him as much as possible. He teaches him
      to concentrate his longing for liberation so much that
      it becomes an all-conquering force that can overcome
      the soul's attachment to the astral plane of the
      fallen universe. This longing for liberation comes
      from a strong desire for a goodness which has no
      opposite as it does in this world. The Good in the
      Real World has no opposite; it is not bipolar but
      leads to the Absolute Life in the Ineffable Heights of
      the Father, the Potter of the Universe.

      As I said in my last post, in "The Alchemical Wedding"
      the grey king has a wife who is very young and vital.
      This symbolises the wonderful new opportunity the good
      side of the candidate has to surrender itself to the
      new soul and so enter permanent Good.

      In "The Alchemical Wedding" both the black king and
      the grey king and their wives voluntarily submit to
      decapitation. This symbolises the end of relative evil
      and relative goodness in the candidate. However their
      death is the same as the death of the phoenix: it is
      followed by a glorious resurrection of a new human
      being, the Son of the great Architect. This is the
      homecoming of the prodigal son to the Father, who
      shows greater honour to the one who has fallen than to
      the one who stayed at home!

      Finally, once again I want to point out that Sirius'
      three friends were called James (Potter), Peter
      (Pettigrew) and (Remus) John (Lupin), while Jesus'
      best three disciples were James, John and Peter. I
      believe this is of the utmost importance in realising
      what Harry Potter is really all about. Jo's flag is
      firmly nailed to the mast already, in my opinion.

      May the world soon wake up to this!

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • M.Clifford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7 4:24 AM
        --- In harrypotterforseekers@yahoogroups.com, Hans Rieuwers
        <hansrieuwers@y...> wrote:
        > As I said in my last post, in "The Alchemical Wedding"
        > the grey king has a wife who is very young and vital.
        > This symbolises the wonderful new opportunity the good
        > side of the candidate has to surrender itself to the
        > new soul and so enter permanent Good.

        Valky:
        Hi Hans, this is going to sound probably a bit ditzy, but I venture
        forth anyway. I have been waiting for this confirmation since the
        very first time I finished OOtP. I am almost positive now that Tonks
        is going to marry Lupin.
        Tonks is young and vital, to be honest with you that is the reason I
        was compelled deep down to SHIP the two. I wanted Remus to be
        uplifted by her vitality. I felt that he, like no other, fully
        deserved the sweetness and joy that she resonates to all in her
        presence.
        Now you confirm for me that Remus does indeed have a young vibrant
        counterpart, and I am absolutely thrilled! Even if it's not Tonks as
        his wife, but I doubt that, I am just thrilled that my heart
        instinctively understood the pairing of the grey soul and the
        vibrant colourful girl. It means a lot to me, Thaks Hans! As I just
        said in another post, my mental powers of observation are clinically
        dead. But my heart knows what it's talking about. lol ;D

        Hans:
        > In "The Alchemical Wedding" both the black king and
        > the grey king and their wives voluntarily submit to
        > decapitation.

        Valky:
        Just on another note, I am pretty sure Snape already *has* a wife we
        just haven't met her yet. I wonder if she is a Malfoy?