Snape

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2004
      First of all welcome to a few members who have joined
      in the last week or so. I believe we have another
      Pagan now. I hope one day this group will become a
      forum for a wider range of opinions. Meanwhile you'll
      just have to put up with my humble contributions.
      Before you new members start reading about Snape I
      would warn you that it won't make much sense until
      you've read the other posts in this series, starting
      with post No. 250.

      Snape!!!
      One of the most intriguing and thought provoking
      characters, judging by the heated discussion he
      provokes on HPFGU.

      I think Severus Snape and Remus John Lupin belong
      together. In my opinion they represent respectively
      the black king and the grey king in "The Alchemical
      Wedding of Christian Rosycross".

      As I said in my last post, these two characters
      personify two voices that speak forcefully in the
      candidate for alchemical transformation. They
      represent a harvest of experiences that has built up
      in the microcosm for hundreds of incarnations. These
      experiences have all been caused by the interplay of
      two opposite forces in our lives: good and evil -
      black and grey. How apt! How superbly and cunningly
      appropriate! Not black and white, but black and grey!
      For there is no Good; there is no pure white goodness
      in this fallen universe! There are only shades of grey
      and black. Good is where the Spirit is, Good is in the
      original divine universe we've left behind. One of the
      greatest examples of a person who had reached
      liberation, Jesus, said: "Why do you call me good? No
      one is good but God alone." (Mark 10:18)

      We'll discuss Lupin in the next post.

      Snape, as you know, always wears black. He is the
      black king and therefore the voice of our shadow side,
      our black side, our sinful aspect. He also symbolises
      the accumulated bad experiences we've had. He is the
      cup of bitterness we've had to drink throughout
      hundreds of incarnations. How many times have we
      committed intensely evil actions, how many times have
      we given in to the evil around us, how often have we
      made grave errors of judgement that have caused great
      suffering to others? All these things have caused
      extremely painful karmic consequences for each of us.
      We all have our black side!

      We human beings are unable to learn without making
      errors. The word "error" literally means "to wander".
      What we do in life is to wander around in the dark.
      Originally this was not so. Before the Fall we were
      always guided by the Light of the Spirit and there was
      no wandering, no errors, and so no sin. But we chose
      to turn away from the Light and go our own way. The
      more we turned away the more we wandered, and the more
      we wandered the more we fell into error and blackness.
      That's Snape.

      Snape therefore is not just our evil side, he is that
      aspect in us which caused us to turn away from the
      Light. And whenever we turn away from the Light we
      seek the darkness. The darkness is any place where the
      Spirit is not present, and that's this whole universe,
      which Jacob Boehme calls "the nature of death".
      Whenever we seek life fulfilment in any aspect of this
      fallen universe, Snape is talking to us.

      One of the most dangerous aspects of our personal
      Snape is a tendency to engage in occult activities.
      The human being has a conscious or unconscious desire
      to rule over his life (the black "KING"), to make his
      temporary state permanent, to conquer death. We know
      that Severus Snape studied the black arts in his
      youth. He was a death eater and was marked by
      Voldemort with the dark mark.

      What is the essence of Occultism? It is in fact very
      close to alchemy. It's Harry Potter without Harry.

      What I mean by that is that the occultist goes the
      same path as Harry does, but without a new soul born
      to Lily and James. As I said in my post about the
      Chamber of Secrets (Harry 10 - post 316) the occultist
      goes to the serpent of the kundalini in the plexus
      sacralis and drives this upwards through all the
      chakras, endowing him with great occult powers. You
      can read about these in "The Chakras" by C.W.
      Leadbeater (Theosophical Publishing House).

      No wonder Snape has such skill at legilimens and
      occlumency! Those are occult powers. Jo shows us in
      the most powerful way possible that Harry can't do
      that, and in any case he doesn't need it! His love is
      what drives Voldemort out, not occult power.

      The liberating message of Harry Potter is so clear, so
      bright, so pure, so obvious I'm amazed so few people
      can see it!

      In the Alchemical Wedding the black king voluntarily
      submits to decapitation. When a person decides to go
      the Path of Liberation through alchemical
      transformation, he surrenders his whole being to the
      New Soul, personified by Harry. This is why Snape
      leaves Voldemort and later joins the Order of the
      Phoenix. He tries to save Harry's life during the
      quidditch match in Book 1.

      The apprentice alchemist knows that both his good side
      and his bad side have to be sacrificed so that the
      original divine human being can resurge in an
      alchemical process of death and rebirth. He tries to
      restrict and restrain his black side as much as
      possible, but it is still very painful to the new
      soul. This is why Harry suffers whenever he is in
      contact with Snape. Snape's very essence is abhorrent
      to Harry, as our shadow side is abhorrent to the new
      soul.

      Now you know why Dumbledore would never want Snape
      teaching Defence against the Dark Arts. That subject
      symbolises the lessons the new soul needs to grow and
      become mature. It would be too big a temptation to
      Severus. I quote Jo from the Albert Hall interview:
      "when Professor Dumbledore took Professor Snape onto
      the staff and Professor Snape said he'd like to teach
      Defence Against the Dark Arts please and Professor
      Dumbledore felt that it might bring out the worst in
      Professor Snape." It all makes sense now, doesn't it?

      It is obvious that Snape hates Sirius, James and
      Remus.
      Sirius: the archetype of liberation.
      James: the longing for liberation.
      Remus: the striving for goodness. These three aspects
      of the candidate on the Path of Liberation are
      intensely abhorrent to the shadow side. This is why he
      tries to get Sirius "kissed" by the dementors. Sirius
      is the very opposite to everything Snape stands for!
      This is why he opposes Remus' appointment to Hogwarts.
      This is why he loathes James with the utmost
      intensity.

      But I'm sure that although he hurts Harry deeply and
      makes his life miserable, he will ultimately sacrifice
      himself for Harry. I guess he will hate him to the
      end; nevertheless he will see that the only way to
      defeat Voldemort is to die for Harry.

      In the Alchemical Wedding the black king has a very
      old and frail wife. As I said in my last post, the
      wives of the black king and the grey king symbolise
      their passive aspects. The wife of the black king is
      very old and near death. This symbolises the fact that
      when the alchemist is approaching liberation, the evil
      in him is weak, and close to its end.

      The grey king's wife is quite young and vivacious,
      symbolising the fact that the good side of the
      alchemist is approaching the rebirth of Absolute Good.
      She rejoices in her self-surrender to the new born
      king.

      Jo once said that some of the teachers indeed do have
      wives, and so I wonder if Snape has an old frail wife
      and Lupin a young vigorous one. If they do she's
      nailing her flag to the mast, as Alison put it the
      other day. Then she's admitting what I've been saying
      for the last two years: Harry Potter is a new version
      of the ancient alchemical Path of total human
      Liberation from suffering, sorrow and death. Jo is
      bringing this message to the world in the form of a
      story that is so rapturously beautiful I can't find
      words for it. The words "Harry Potter" are enough to
      bring tears to the eyes!

      Good on ya, Jo, yer blood's worth bottlin!

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com