Ron

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2004
      In my theory that Harry Potter is a road map to total
      human liberation, I equate Ron to John the Baptist.
      Harry equates to Jesus; Ron to John.

      It's a very radical proposition to interpret the
      Bible, as I do, as a set of instructions for
      liberation rather than a historical record for events
      that happened 2000 years ago. I'm not saying they
      didn't happen! What I am saying is that what happened
      2000 years ago is of little relevance to us today. The
      most it can do is inspire us to realise that Jesus was
      a man who showed that it is possible to vanquish
      death. He was a wonderful example that can give us
      great faith, but that means we see the Christ epic as
      an event OUTSIDE of us rather than as a process that
      should happen INSIDE of us. I quote again, as I have
      several times:
      "Though Christ a thousand times in Bethlehem be born,
      but not in thee, thou shalt be yet forlorn." (Angelus
      Silesius)

      If we see the New Testament as a set of instructions
      for an alchemical transformation that enables us to
      vanquish death, the whole thing takes on a very
      powerful meaning for us personally. My theory is that
      Harry Potter gives exactly the same message.

      Jesus and Harry personify a new, immortal soul that is
      born in a seeker whose lily has opened in God's hollow
      place. This is not something that just happens by
      chance. There is quite some preparation needed.

      The story begins with a microcosm that is completely
      shut off to the calling Light of the Brotherhood of
      the Lords of Compassion. The Light is calling, but the
      auric ring (Voldemort) of the microcosm shuts it out.
      However there is also a latent ring that eons ago
      shone in refulgent glory in God's Immovable Kingdom.

      When eventually a person begins to realise that life
      is an endless repetition of things without any real
      progress, one of the twelve original lights in the
      latent ring, the sixth ring, gradually begins to
      resume its work of letting in the Divine Light. Such a
      person realises that "what has been is what will be,
      and what has been done is what will be done; and there
      is nothing new under the sun." (Eccl. 1:9) A new sun
      is born in the firmament of the person. This new sun
      is only a small star at first, but a tiny ray of light
      falls on the divine spark of the spirit in the heart
      of the person. The seeker has been born! He has become
      a seeker because the divine spark has begun thirsting
      for the Living Water.

      As I have explained earlier in this series, the new
      sun we call Sirius, and the force causing the thirst
      for God we call James. Ron/John is the earthly seeker
      who is reacting to the calling power of the
      Brotherhood of the Masters of Compassion. This is the
      person who has found the Path of Liberation and is
      willing to dedicate his whole life to it. He realises
      that the only way he can reach liberation is to give
      up the earthly self. Very soon after John the Baptist
      is born, Jesus is born.

      In Harry Potter, Ron and Harry are best friends, and
      Ron tacitly accepts Harry as his leader. One of Ron's
      greatest talents is chess. Chess is mentioned in "The
      Alchemical Wedding" and I see it as the symbol of
      right versus wrong, or "virtue against vice" as "The
      Alchemical Wedding" puts it. In other words, the
      apprentice alchemist has to have a very clear
      perception of right and wrong. He has to know what is
      the right thing to do under all circumstances.

      I have explained the seven trials in Book 1. In the
      fifth trial Ron conducts a chess game of gigantic and
      dangerous chess pieces in which the three children
      take the place of certain chess pieces.

      'Their first real shock came when their other knight
      was taken. The white queen smashed him to the floor
      and dragged him off the board, where he lay quite
      still, face down.
      "Had to let that happen," said Ron, looking shaken.
      "Leaves you free to take that bishop, Hermione, go
      on."
      Every time one of their men was lost, the white pieces
      showed no mercy. Soon there was a huddle of limp black
      players slumped along the wall. Twice, Ron only just
      noticed in time that Harry and Hermione were in
      danger. He himself darted around the board, taking
      almost as many white pieces as they had lost black
      ones.
      "We're nearly there," he muttered suddenly. "Let me
      think, let me think..."
      The white queen turned her blank face toward him.
      "Yes..." said Ron softly, "It's the only way... I've
      got to be taken."
      "NO!" Harry and Hermione shouted.
      "That's chess!" snapped Ron. "You've got to make some
      sacrifices! I take one step forward and she'll take me
      -- that leaves you free to checkmate the king, Harry!"
      "But --"
      "Do you want to stop Snape or not?"
      "Ron --"
      "Look, if you don't hurry up, he'll already have the
      Stone!"
      There was no alternative.
      "Ready?" Ron called, his face pale but determined.
      "Here I go - now, don't hang around once you've won."
      He stepped forward, and the white queen pounced. She
      struck Ron hard across the head with her stone arm,
      and he crashed to the floor - Hermione screamed but
      stayed on her square - the white queen dragged Ron
      to one side. He looked as if he'd been knocked out.
      Shaking, Harry moved three spaces to the left. The
      white king took off his crown and threw it at Harry's
      feet. They had won.'

      (I must say, on a personal note, that there are very
      few scenes where the film excels over the book, but
      this is certainly one (No offence, Jo). And John
      Williams' music is so powerful here!)

      Ron's willingness to sacrifice himself teaches us that
      liberation requires the giving up of self. "He who
      loses his life for my sake will find it" (Matt.
      10:39).

      In "The Alchemical Wedding" six kings and queens are
      beheaded in self sacrifice, and John the Baptist is
      also beheaded. I'm sure Ron will go the same way. The
      earthly personality, no matter how pure, how noble,
      how self-sacrificing, cannot enter the Kingdom of
      Heaven. He is the product of an error, the Fall from
      the Divine Life. However if he can give up his life
      for the new soul, he will dissolve into the original
      human being who is the Only Begotten Son of the
      Father. Why decapitation? Because the old
      consciousness, situated in the head, is gone. It has
      merged into the new consciousness as a candle flame
      merges into the sun. It no longer exists as an
      individualised self-consciousness but has become part
      of the universal, omnipresent consciousness. This
      particular decapitation is not gruesome or bloody, but
      extremely serene and means that the apprentice has
      completed his training and is now an Alchemist by the
      Grace of God.

      That's Ron's future. I don't know how Auntie Jo is
      going to put this into the story without millions of
      Ron's fans heading for Edinburgh to lynch her, but I'm
      sure she can do it in such a way that tears will flow
      by the bucketful, but everyone will accept it. (Or I'm
      wrong.)

      Good on yer, Jo! We all love yah!
      Your world No. 1 fan, Hans

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com