Hagrid

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2004
      After Harry, Hagrid is my favourite character. What
      does he represent?

      It's fairly easy to see what Hagrid stands for. What
      are the clues?

      1. He brings the letter of invitation to Harry.
      2. He opens the door to the magical world for Harry.
      3. He is the "ferryman" for the first-years.
      4. He is the "Keeper of the Keys" at Hogwarts.
      5. He loves dragons.
      6. He is especially fond of a hippogriff.
      7. He was given his position because of a
      "punishment".

      These things all point to one thing: Hagrid is a
      Master of Compassion!

      To understand what this means we should look at "The
      Alchemical Wedding of Christian Rosycross". Christian
      Rosycross on the second day of his adventure meets the
      gatekeeper to whom he shows his letter of invitation
      to the Alchemical Wedding.

      After the Alchemical Wedding Christian Rosycross meets
      the gatekeeper again on the seventh day.
      'Now we arrived at the first gate where the guardian,
      in a blue habit, was waiting. He held a supplication
      in his hand. As soon as he saw me with the King, he
      delivered the supplication to me, with the humble
      request to mention his faithfulness to the King. Now I
      first asked the King what was the matter with this
      guardian, and he cordially answered me that this was a
      famous and excellent astrologer, who has always had
      the high esteem of his Lord and Father. But as he had
      at some time committed an error with regard to the
      Lady Venus, by looking at her when she was resting on
      her bed, he was punished by having to guard the first
      gate until someone should release him from it. Then I
      asked: "May he be released?" "Yes," the King said, "if
      anyone can be found who has as highly transgressed as
      he did, he must stand in his stead, and the other
      shall be free." These words went to my heart, for my
      conscience convinced me that I was the offender.'

      After that an enquiry is held, and Christian Rosycross
      confesses that he has seen the Lady Venus. Although
      the King is very fond of Christian Rosycross there is
      no way the King can transgress the ancient rule, and
      so Christian Rosycross is told he has to become gate
      keeper next day.

      There are people in this universe who have made great
      progress on the Path of Liberation, but who are so
      filled with compassion for humanity that they're
      willing to sacrifice their own immediate advancement
      on the Path and stay behind to help their wandering
      brothers and sisters find the Path.

      This is beautifully described in "The Voice of the
      Silence".

      Verse 145: To don Nirmanakaya's humble robe [the robe
      of compassion -HR] is to forego eternal bliss for
      Self, to help on man's salvation. To reach Nirvana's
      bliss, but to renounce it, is the supreme, the final
      step - the highest on Renunciation's Path.
      Verse 146: Know, O Disciple, this is the Secret Path,
      selected by the Buddhas of Perfection, who sacrificed
      The SELF to weaker Selves.
      Verse 300: [...] Compassion is no attribute. It is the
      Law of LAWS - eternal Harmony, Alaya's* SELF; a
      shoreless universal essence, the light of everlasting
      Right, and fitness of all things, the law of love
      eternal.
      Verse 301: The more thou dost become at one with it,
      thy being melted in its BEING, the more thy Soul
      unites with that which IS, the more thou wilt become
      COMPASSION ABSOLUTE.
      Verse 307: Now bend thy head and listen well, O
      Bodhisattva - Compassion speaks and saith: 'Can there
      be bliss when all that lives must suffer? Shalt thou
      be saved and hear the whole world cry?'

      *Alaya: the Universal Soul or Atman, each human being
      having a ray of it in him and being supposed to be
      able to identify himself with it and to merge himself
      in it.

      It may be difficult to see dear old Hagrid with his
      moleskin coat and boar hound as a Bodhisattva, but the
      symbolism in Harry Potter lies on a certain level
      beneath the surface. The ancient symbols of liberation
      are all dressed in twentieth century clothes and
      manners, but their essence is unchanged.

      1. He brings the letter from Hogwarts to Harry. This
      action symbolises the call from the Masters of
      Compassion to go the Path of Liberation.

      2. He opens the door to the magical world for Harry.
      The gate-keeper idea is very strong here.

      3. He is the "ferryman" for the first-years. This
      symbolises the role of Charon, the ferryman on the
      Styx. The Styx symbolises the borderline between the
      world of the dead (earth) and real life (liberation).

      4. He is the "Keeper of the Keys" at Hogwarts. Once
      again a pronounced reference to being gate-keeper.

      5. He loves dragons. This may be a bit harder to
      understand. In the traditions of those learning to go
      the Path of Alchemy, there is the legend of the
      "six-winged dragon". This dragon symbolises the human
      serpent-fire. The serpent-fire is what they call the
      force that resides in the cerebro-spinal system of the
      human being. In the case of the fallen, earthly human
      being it's regarded as a dragon because of the
      unholiness of the fire that burns in our system. The
      six wings represent properties that emanate from the
      serpent-fire.

      The dragon: that's us!! To the pure and holy Masters
      of Compassion we are like dragons because of our
      selfishness, our base desires, the unholy fire we
      radiate. We have only to look at the world around us
      to see what we've done to Paradise. If you ever start
      to admire this human world please watch "Der
      Untergang", the new film about the last days of Hitler
      in his bunker in Berlin. Just think about the 50
      million people killed in the war, and keep in mind
      things like Auschwitz and the Gulag Archipelago. And
      if that's too long ago look at Iraq today.

      If any of us think, "I would never participate in
      that", please read post 280. Everyone is responsible
      for the war crimes and atrocities that happen because
      all of us radiate an unholy fire which accumulates in
      the atmosphere and builds up to gigantic proportions.
      In this way we create the dragons that wreak havoc in
      the world and cause immeasurable suffering. See post
      189. Certain people are open to the accumulated forces
      which humanity radiates, and there you have your
      Stalins and Hitlers and Sadam Husseins. This is what's
      behind the Rwanda massacres, the holocaust and and
      every war that's ever been fought. And we're all
      responsible. But despite being dragons, the Masters of
      Compassion love us! That's why Hagrid loves dragons.

      6. He is especially fond of a hippogriff. In message
      321 I explained what the hippogriff symbolises. The
      Masters of Compassion have a living body, i.e. an
      astral force-field that radiates an intensely
      spiritual power into the world. If we tune in to that
      power it will liberate us - it will raise us up and
      fly up to the highest regions. If we try to go the
      Path of Liberation but preserve the ego, it will harm
      us with its sharp claws. The gate-keeper can handle
      the hippogriff and he loves it because he is a member
      of the Brotherhood.

      7. He was given his position because of a
      "punishment". The gate-keeper in "The Alchemical
      Wedding" was given his position as a "punishment". It
      may be hard to understand the joke, but this is
      humour. Well, I think it is. It may also be a veil to
      hide very holy things to the profane.

      When people behold "Lady Venus" it means they are
      beholding Divine Love! This Love is inside them, as
      I've tried to explain before. We all have a chamber in
      our heart that is magically sealed until Harry or
      Christian Rosycross open it. Once the door's opened
      and we behold what is within, we are seized by "a
      force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible
      than death, than human intelligence, than the forces
      of nature." This force, Love or Compassion, is what
      "punished" Hagrid by making him gate-keeper. And I
      believe it will seize Harry.

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • Alison Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2004
        This post is not about any particular aspect of the HP books themselves but
        about how we (here on this list especially, but also other people) go about
        discussing them.

        We struggle to put into words what we understand as the themes and messages
        of the books. To explain in rational, logical terms our understanding of
        the meaning. Very often this means translating it into terms that come from
        our own particular belief system. Sometimes I think we are in danger of
        translating from one form of symbolism to another, without necessarily
        coming closer to understanding what either stand for in larger terms.

        I suspect that the books have caught the popular imagination to the
        unprecedented extent that they have because they are making use of a far
        richer and also more easily understood method of communication that rational
        argument - that of story and symbol - and so are communicating their meaning
        directly to peoples intuitive understanding. People understand it even if
        they can't always explain exactly what it is they understand or why they do.

        I'm not saying we shouldn't try to analyse the story, I wouldn't be here if
        I thought that! But I think we should remember that you don't need to
        undertand *how* it works for it to work. Analysis is fun, but its not
        necessary, and those who spend no time at all analysing the story may
        understand it just as much as those of us that join lists like this one.

        Alison