Harry (5)

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2004
      The seven trials

      The seven trials in book 1 sum up what the person who
      has a nascent immortal soul has to go through to be
      able to perform his first liberating act - detachment
      from the physical plane.

      First he encounters Cerberus (Fluffy), the
      three-headed dog. I will discuss Cerberus in more
      detail when I start the discussion on the symbols in
      Harry Potter. For now let me say Cerberus personifies
      the forces of the past which tie us to the universe of
      time and space. The river Styx symbolises the border
      between the fallen universe and the original pure
      universe of God. To cross the border, we first have to
      pass Cerberus. He is the mirror of the past, in actual
      fact: delusion.

      Why is he three-headed? It reminds us of the three
      temptations of Jesus in the wilderness. He too was at
      that moment ready to cross the border between earth
      and heaven, i.e. the seventh and the sixth cosmic
      plane - Nirvana.

      One of the great forces tying us to this universe is
      fear. The person who wants to be liberated from fear
      has to have the right motivation. Harry was motivated
      by a great purity. He wanted to save the world from
      Voldemort. Unselfishness is the only way to overcome
      fear. It cannot be overcome by courage alone. Armed
      with only courage, Harry would have been devoured by
      Fluffy. Harry was able to make "fear" go to sleep by
      playing the flute. The music played by Harry
      symbolises the vibrations of his purity, his pure
      motives.

      Another force tying us to this universe is dogma.
      "Give up learning, and put an end to your troubles,"
      says Lao Tzu (Chapter 20). Yes, to live in this world,
      we have to study. We need a certain amount of learning
      to live a meaningful life. And so we think we can
      "learn" our way into Nirvana. Bad mistake! Lao Tzu
      adds: "Other men are sharp and clever, but I alone am
      dull and stupid." But!! "I am different. I am
      nourished by the great mother." Who is the great
      mother? Why, Lily, of course.

      Dear Friends, no learning, no study, no knowledge
      contained within the brain can prepare us for the
      overwhelming beauty of the Kingdom of Heaven. It lies
      in another universe, in another plane, in a dimension
      where time and space do not exist. There is nothing in
      our universe that we can compare with that. No words
      can describe it; no pictures can give us even the
      vaguest idea. Not even the most heavenly music can
      give us a slight hint of what it's like.

      But we DO have a little piece of heaven inside us.
      That's the great mother, the Lily inside the heart. We
      must give up dogma and turn to the voice of Tao
      within.

      When Harry turned eleven he received a letter of
      invitation to attend Hogwarts. In Harry 2 (Post 264) I
      explained that the candidate for liberation has a
      letter in his heart. The apprentice alchemist has the
      instructions in his heart. They have been there for
      millions of years but we've been too busy to read
      them. Then James married Lily and Harry was born. We
      can now read the letter in the heart and carry out the
      alchemical processes with great joy.

      We can throw away dogma. We live from the instructions
      in the heart given to us by the great mother.

      The third head is false idols. This is a very big,
      dangerous head, because in our past lie many idols we
      have worshipped through hundreds of incarnations. When
      we go the path of liberation we'll be confronted by
      this aspect of the past, and we'll discover that some
      of those idols are a long way from being dead.

      In my last post (296) I mentioned that we are all
      surrounded by thought forms we have accumulated in the
      past. These are our personal idols and must be given
      up, one by one. How? By turning to the great mother.
      She will give us Harry, the new soul, and our heart
      will be so filled with love for him that all the
      accumulated idols in our aura will fade away and die.

      The big word for defeating Cerberus is:
      self-surrender. If we surrender to the inner Christ He
      will drive out fear, attachment to dogma and false
      idols. He will give us the magic flute of purity and
      put ol' Cerberus to sleep. It's a cinch!

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • Brianna HP
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2004
        --- Hans Rieuwers <hansrieuwers@...> wrote:

        > The seven trials in book 1 sum up what the person
        > who
        > has a nascent immortal soul has to go through to be
        > able to perform his first liberating act -
        > detachment
        > from the physical plane.

        Hans:

        I read your posts and it disturbs me.

        In many spiritual traditions, the physical world is
        considered good. Within both kabbalistic and buddhist
        traditions, the physical world is the spiritual realm.
        It is waking up to this that matters.
        Even in the Indian Sanatana traditions, maya or
        illusion doesn't necessarily mean that the physical
        world must be trascended. Rather, it is materialism
        that must be seen as an illusion. Of course, some yoga
        systems counter this, but then add that the physical
        body must be tamed and that it is through the body
        that samhadi is attained.

        I see HP draw much from biblical and celtic
        traditions, both which honor the world of nature and
        human as a spiritual place. Again, they don't affirm
        materialism, which is a different thing. It is saying
        only crude reality and personal gratification counts.
        Spiritual reality, especially in the Jewish and
        Christian biblical tradition, absolutely affirms the
        physical world as good, imbued with at very least a
        spark of the divine. That is what allows for "magic."

        Comparisions with other traditions are great, and I
        think in keeping with the books. But understanding of
        the base traditions, I find, is important .
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2004
          --- Brianna HP <brianna_hp@...> wrote:
          ---------------------------------
          In many spiritual traditions, the physical world is
          considered good. Within both kabbalistic and buddhist
          traditions, the physical world is the spiritual realm.
          It is waking up to this that matters.
          -------------------------------------

          First of all many thanks for your post, Brianna. The
          fact that you disagree with me doesn't disturb me in
          the least. I think most of us in this group would find
          ourselves in the minority. The important thing is that
          we form a market place for ideas using Harry Potter as
          the point of departure, and we can let the buyers shop
          around and choose for themselves what, if anything,
          they choose as their own philosophy. So thanks for
          your post, which I hope will get people thinking. I
          would once again like to encourage others to post
          their ideas, irrespective of whether they agree with
          anyone else's views.

          I hope you've read post No. 1 which set up this group.
          There I said that I recognise the philosophy of
          liberation, as taught by all the great masters in the
          past (or so I believe). I believe Harry Potter is
          being written by a superhuman genius and a
          characteristic of that is that everyone can see their
          own views reflected in it. So if you see the exact
          opposite of what I see, that's only to be expected and
          just confirms the genius behind Harry Potter.

          I think it's important, though, not to try to convince
          each other of the truth of our own point of view.
          Let's just display our wares in our stall in the
          market, and allow the public to make up their own
          mind.

          I would therefore now like to ask you to explain your
          point of view in detail. You said in your first post
          that Harry Potter is full of Kabbalah, and so I'd like
          to ask you to show that.

          As a matter of fact I would like to ask you, and all
          the other members, to think seriously about writing an
          essay which can be put in the files for people to
          read. So far I'm the only one to have written one, but
          Terrell has promised to write one on Tao and it would
          be marvellous to have one on the Kabbalah, as well as
          the Buddhist point of view, the Pagan, etc.

          Aldo is working hard on the group's website and we'll
          put the essays on there. The essays will be submitted
          to search engines, and anyone searching, for example,
          for "Harry Potter" + "Kabbalah", (or whatever) will
          find the essay, plus the website, and from there the
          group. In that way we can all help seekers find the
          spiritual depth in Harry Potter. They can make up
          their own mind about which spiritual point of view
          they wish to adopt.

          I look forward to hearing from everyone.

          http://au.movies.yahoo.com
        • Alison Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2004
            Brianna's post helped me to pinpoint what it is in some of the spiritual
            interpretations of HP (and actually, now I come to mention it, some
            spiritual beliefs in general) that I can't agree with.

            I find HP tremendously life affirming - *this* physical life affirming. Not
            just the next great adventure but THIS great adventure too. (Which is
            partly why I still believe the boy will live in the end!)

            Some spiritual viewpoints seem to see the physical life as, at best,
            imperfect, at worst something totally twisted and opposed to the spiritual
            life, as something we should be seeking to transcend rather than as a gift
            that we should accept gratefully and live as fully as possible. The former
            view, taken to extremes, almost makes suicide seem an attractive option - a
            short cut out of the pit! The only drawback being in leaving others behind
            to suffer.

            I'll think some more about exactly why I find HP so life affirming and try
            to come up a more substantial argument for this viewpoint, but for now
            that's all I have time for!

            Alison
            (Rushing about with too little time for things at the moment.)