The golden chakra and the Prince (re: Finished!/ My immediate review...)

  • iris_ft
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2007

      Bonjour Seekers,

      Hans wrote :

      What on earth Jo killed Fred for is beyond me. To newcomers to the group: the Weasleys symbolise the chakras, and certainly there are still seven of them now, only George has to do all the work for the navel chakra on his own now. Perhaps there is some highly arcane fact I'm not aware of in the liberation of the chakras, for example perhaps the colour changes from red and green to one colour. I just don't know.

      Chris and I have been discussing the death of Vincent Crabbe. He creates a fire and dies in it. I guess that's an alchemical fire. Vincent: victorious; Gregory: watchful. If you look back at the old posts you'll see that the two strings are feminine and masculine. In the Bible they're referred to as Ananias and Sapphira, and in the ancient Indian traditions as Ida and Pinggala. Our guess at the moment is that the alchemical fire created by Vincent fused the masculine/feminine into one androgynous force.

      Iris now:

      Hi Captain, I'm glad you are back on the Pitch, and even gladder the Pitch exists, because I'm sure that here, there won't be JK Rowling bashing, as it seems it's going to have on other lists.

      Back to what you wrote. You don't understand why JK Rowling made Fred die? Wasn't it because he was red-haired? In your paragraph about Crabbe, you talk about Alchemy. Well, this is the Rubedo book, don't forget. There are many references to the red work, all along the book. Harry's bleeding when we meet him for the first time in the story. Many other characters are shown bleeding. There are of course many references to fire (explosion at the Lovegoods, the dragon in Gringotts, Crabbe's spell, the battle of Hogwarts, I can't mention them all). JK Rowling made Fred die because he was not only red-haired, but also because he was a flamboyant personality. In the fifth book, the twins escaped from Hogwarts when it was sunset, i.e., when the sky turns red, remember? It shows clearly their connection to the Rubedo phase. One of them had to die, it was logical.

      As for your missing chakra, what do you do with Harry becoming red-haired himself in the wedding chapter? I don't master the chakra theory myself, but if you need one more to make it work, try Harry. He's like a universal charka, isn't he? Did you notice which colour Polyjuice becomes when it contains a bit of Harry? It turns to liquid gold. Harry is like the drinkable gold of alchemists. The universal medicine, the elixir of life. Incorruptible, as it appears during the whole series, when he resists the evil influence of the locket Horcrux (Ron doesn't have the same reaction when he has the locket on his heart), and when he renounces the Elder Wand. Indestructible, as we can see at the end of the story. You could nearly take the lyrics of "Gold", by Spandau Ballet ("Gold, always believe in you soul, you've got the power to know you're indestructible, always believe in – Gold, glad that you're bound to return; there's something I could have learnt, you're indestructible, etc…") and say JK Rowling decided they would be his agenda and the lesson Voldemort was unable to understand. Moreover, JK Rowling makes Harry change his aspect many times in the story, she dissolves him through her literary universe; and at the end, she makes him go back to normal life. It is said that the Stone and the Elixir of Life are there on a sole aim:  to dissolve themselves through the universe in order to heal it. So does Harry. And you wouldn't try him as a golden chakra? You wouldn't try the best option? Merlin's pants…

      Leah commented:

      Snape was not Voldemort's man. I had expected a more dramatic end
      for Snape too, it seemed a bit of an anti-climax on first reading.
      But having thought about it, I think it would have been wrong to let
      Snape die a wonderful hero's death. He was a wonderful character,
      one of the pivots of the whole series, a great tragic figure, brave
      and motivated by love, but deeply flawed. He had been a Death Eater
      and had been forced to endure the sufferings of others (eg the death
      of Cicely Burbage). His death paved the way for Harry's victory, a
      final deception of Voldemort, but I think it was somehow fitting
      that he died at the hands (or fangs) of evil, the serpent in her orb
      being the death of the Spinner.

      Iris now:

      Hi Leah,

      I totally agree with you. Severus Snape had to die the way he died, and in the Shrieking Shack. It's one of the most beautiful deaths in the series, if you can say death is beautiful. It happens in the Shrieking Shack, a symbolic place. It's said to be haunted, it's destroyed from inside and it used to hide a tremendous suffering. Snape is like the Shack. He is haunted by his lost love, remorse and memories; he's destroyed from inside, and he hides an unbearable suffering. Snape dies in a cage, because he lived in a cage since his childhood. A snake kills him. It's a terrible scene, but I couldn't help thinking of the Little Prince. The Little Prince died in order to come back to his planet, where a rose was waiting for him. Our Prince died and probably, a lily was waiting for him. I just love the way he dies, asking Harry to look at him, because the last thing he wants to remember are Lily's eyes. It's not only a hero's death, because it is tragic, like in an antique tale, it is also incredibly romantic (literary and sentimentally speaking). Oh yes, it's a beautiful death. And consider what he gives to Harry while he is loosing his life: he gives him his love for Lily; he tells him that they share the same loss and love. He could have chosen to give him only what was necessary in order to help him defeat Voldemort, and to keep his secret. But he gave it to Harry. We know the importance of secret and love in the story. In Harry's case, they are vital. When Snape offers Harry his secret and his love, he offers the boy his only treasure. Snape has always been secretive, and he wasn't the kind of man who accepted to show his weaknesses. And he didn't like Harry too much. But now, there's no more room for secret, for appearance; it's a moment of truth. And he shows Harry what he always hided. He gives him his heart, in a way. It's also a moment of faith, because Snape trusts Harry. They finally share the same essence: love and faith.  Snape is like a fallen version of Harry, and Harry is there to redeem him. Isn't that much more beautiful and heroic than any other "banging" option?

      It shows that Snape was really a prince. A lost prince, a prince in exile; just like Harry at the beginning of the series.  And that's why the chapter following his death is called "The Prince's Tale".

      I wouldn't be surprised if besides Harry, Snape was actually JK Rowling's favourite character. May as it be, he's a great achievement. From a literary and a human point of view, he deserves our admiration and sympathy.

      Amicalement,

      Iris