the sexuality of liberation

  • Marianna Marinda
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2006
      The sexuality of liberation is an interesting topic that Hans has
      touched on recently. Without searching back to find the exact quotes, I
      remember Hans having said in the past a few comments to the effect of
      'there is no sex in Heaven', and that giving up one's sexuality is part
      of the effort of liberation. (Hans- please correct me if I am
      referencing you wrongly!) I find this to be both true and not true, and
      finally have an idea about how to explain it.

      Sexuality is usually recognized as a hunger of the flesh. Thus, it is
      can be compared with money, which is another thing humans hunger for.
      Just like as illustrated in Harry Potter and the
      Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, in regards to Harry being able to
      retrieve the stone from the mirror, true fulfillment of either of these
      hungers (or any other) is not and cannot be found by pursuing them for
      their own sake. In this way, as I see it, the hunger in question must
      be given up in the effort of liberation. However, the hunger fulfilled
      is also a blessing of liberation.

      As I see it, there are two sides to a hunger. Monetarily speaking, we
      can observe Harry's inheritance from his parents (physical gold), which
      has also been discussed as representing his spiritual inheritance
      (spiritual gold= light). I've heard of gold being otherwise known as
      liquid/solid light, and so this imagery can be representing either or
      both types of richness. If someone was rich in money (or physical
      wealth), but not spirit, would not liberation mean attaining richness of
      spirit (auric light)? And, if someone was rich in spirit (auric light),
      but not money/wealth, would not liberation come with richness of
      physical wealth also? What I mean to say, is that the fulfillment of
      one richness comes in the nature of the other- physical vs. spiritual,
      emotional vs. mental. It is not to be said that 'there is no gold in
      heaven', but that the nature of Heaven's gold is different than what we
      put value on here.

      I see it is the same with sexuality. On the one hand sexuality refers
      to the intimate union of two physical bodies. On the other hand,
      however, it is also the intimate union of two spiritual bodies (two
      bodies of light). Generally, we only think of sexuality according to
      the context in which we see ourselves, but since our opaque bodies don't
      see the play of light involved, the united reality often remains out of
      sight/ out of mind. Spiritual bodies might be described as the auras of
      personalities, which come together much like colors on a page. Bright
      blue and red clash when they are close together, but they can also blend
      to make royal purple. It is the blending of two auras into one that is
      the sexuality of Heaven (as I identify Heaven, anyway :) ). Therefore,
      it is suggested that if some person was rich in sexual/social
      interaction, but not spiritual union, liberation would mean attaining
      spiritual union (aka: Unity). And, for a person who was rich in
      spiritual union, but not sexual/social interaction, liberation would
      involve sexual/social interaction.

      Other hungers, such as family/belonging or immortality, have this
      dual-nature fulfillment also. One (person/aspect) who identifies
      according to their community must be able to find worth within their
      self, and one who knows the worth of their self must be able to
      appreciate/share with their community (dependence turning into
      independence, ignorance turning into consciousness, etc.). One that
      lives (in any sense of the word) must be willing to die in order for
      that life to be fulfilled, and one that is dead (or living as if in
      death/hell) must be willing to accept life and/or do what it takes to
      live. Women's liberation will be accomplished at the hands of a man,
      and the liberation of Man will be accomplished at the hands of Women.
      All kinds of fulfillment symbolisms are resolved in this concept of
      complements: division vs. unity, singular vs. plural, loneliness &
      separation vs. wholeness & togetherness... and all of these hunger
      forces are at work within every individual in totally unique
      combinations & ways.

      No doubt, there are also a myriad of other ways the complementary nature
      of liberation could be interpreted. This is simply how I see it and
      describe it best. I suppose one could even get lost in the complexity
      of the possibilities, trying to get every aspect of their soul at
      harmony with its complement at the same time, but there is one thing I
      find they *all* have in common: Divine Love is the only motivation true
      enough to cause someone to transcend a hunger (*any* hunger), and find
      it is fulfilled. In the end, just like it is about 'doing what is
      right, instead of what is easy', it will be about doing/being what is
      Loving, instead of what appears to get one to the goal. It is in
      successfully making that transcendental choice, that one *knows* Love,
      and thus knows God.

      Anyway, please understand that I feel this topic is not presented as
      warmly/personally as it truly applies, or as completely as it deserves,
      and for my part in that I must beg your pardon while the expressive
      capacity develops. But since I find it does apply so personally to the
      quest for liberation, well, I hope whatever I can offer helps.

      Thanks, everyone...
      :)
      Marianna
    • Hans AndrĂ©a
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2006
        Marianna Marinda <marianna@...> wrote:
        The sexuality of liberation is an interesting topic that Hans has touched on recently. I remember Hans having said in the past a few comments to the effect of 'there is no sex in Heaven', and that giving up one's sexuality is part of the effort of liberation. I find this to be both true and not true, and finally have an idea about how to explain it.

        Hans:
        Thanks for raising this important topic, Marianna. Yes I did say that. Actually, that's not very original. After all, the New Testament says In the resurrection (of the original divine human being) they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. (Matthew 22:30)

        I also wrote a post on the symbolism of lycanthropy. I stated there that this symbolises sexuality. Since then a friend who knows the Path of Liberation much better than I do told me that sexuality is completely ruled by the moon. Every aspect of life is governed by the celestial bodies, including the moon. Perhaps Temple Richmond would like to say more about this. Anyway, this makes me 99.9% certain that turning into a werewolf once a month does indeed symbolise the fact that we human beings have an extremely powerful urge that we can never master, no matter how hard we might try. The fact that Lupin is the victim emphasises all the more strongly that it's the grey king within us, i.e. the part of our soul that is trying to be good, and trying to help the new soul, who (Lupin) can never rise above his biological urges unless he gives up his life, as I'm sure he will in Part 7. I'm still working on the symbolism of why it is the black king, Snape, who gives Lupin the potion that stops him losing his mind when he transforms. This means that it is the bad side of our soul that stops the good side losing its control and giving into sexuality altogether. Very intriguing. But I'll get there!

        I probably did say we have to give up sexuality to become liberated, but I would like to qualify that. What I mean is this: to become liberated, both our good side and our bad side will have to die before the new soul can become conscious. In The Alchemical Wedding both the good king and the bad king sacrifice themselves so that the young couple can be resurrected. I think we'll find in Part 7 of Harry Potter that Lupin will sacrifice himself, and so his lycanthropy will die with him, symbolising that when our earthly goodness dies, so does our sexuality.

        The alchemical process of liberation is extremely radical. In fact nothing is more radical than that. It means that the whole earthly human being is replaced by a new human being who is totally free, totally without any uncontrollable urges, compulsions, or desires. He does exactly what he wants, and that is to carry out God's perfect plan for the whole of creation and all its creatures. There is no death, no disease, no suffering, no deprivation. Obviously if there is no death there is no need for birth, and hence no need for reproduction.

        I'm not saying there's anything wrong with sexuality. It's part of our dialectical nature and is an absolute necessity for providing new physical bodies. But it's no more than that either.

        So what happens when we are liberated? If there is no sexuality, what happens to our gender when we're liberated? Are there male and female angels?

        The most wonderful reference I can find is in Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu. Chapter 28 says: He is the valley of the kingdom who knows his masculine strength, yet retains feminine gentleness.

        Jan van Rijckenborgh has written a commentary of this Chinese Bible, in a book with the name of The Chinese Gnosis. http://www.harrypotterforseekers.com/books/chinesegnosis.php Here, the word Gnosis means divine knowledge. He explains what chapter 28 is saying. I would like to explain this and words in italics are quotes from this book.

        The microcosm in its original state is part of Tao. Tao expresses itself in the macrocosm. The macrocosm expresses itself in the cosmos. The cosmos expresses itself in the microcosm. Tao lives in the macrocosm, in every cosmos, and in every microcosm.

        From every microcosm two currents emanate. These two currents are equal in value and significance. In relation to each other, one is positive and the other negative. There are two types of microcosm, and in one type it is the first current which is positively polarised, while in the other type it is the second. The two types, although equal, can be sharply distinguished. Jan van Rijckenborgh uses the term 'inversely proportional polarisation'.

        One of these two currents is called 'strength' in the 'Tao Te Ching', and the other 'gentleness'. 'Strength' refers to the microcosm's causative power. The microcosm possesses a mighty power, a whole series of mighty faculties with the help of which the great, divine plan must be carried out.

        The term 'gentleness' or 'meekness' refers to the essence of the microcosm. This is what it means, for instance, when Jesus says: 'Learn from me that I am meek'. It means the meekness - the gentle courage - of divine love.

        So the divine essence is inherent in the microcosm in a twofold way: as the divine causative power, and as divine love; as masculine strength and feminine gentleness. Because of the inversely proportional polarisation, one aspect of the divine essence - causative power - is epitomised by the original prototypical man, while the other aspect - love - is epitomised by the prototypical woman. Of course this does not mean to say that the opposite pole of the microcosm is not also present in each prototype.

        So to sum it up, Marianna and all other friends: there are two types of angels or liberated human beings. Both types radiate creative power and love, but in one type creative power is positively polarised and love negatively, while in the other type creative power is negatively polarised, and love positively.

        In this context positive means creative, creating possibilities, starting the process, while negative here means receptive, working out the possibilities, finishing the process. The positive aspect fertilises the egg, the negative feeds the embryo and bears the child, so to speak.

        The important thing about this is that in the true universe, the universe of Tao, people don't work as individuals but as groups, and in order to achieve any success, there has to be a balance between the two forces. There has to be an equal amount of positive and negative creative force and an equal amount of positive and negative love.

        I have mentioned this concept in my discussion of Molly and Arthur Weasley. I mentioned there that they personify the pituitary gland. This has two lobes, which are oppositely polarised to each other. One lobe rules the heart while the other rules the head. The lobe that is positively polarised in men is negatively polarised in women, and vice versa. I mentioned in my posts that when people form a group to strive for liberation, there has to be a total cooperation between men and women. To achieve liberating 'magic', there has to be a balance between the two above mentioned forces.

        I just want to refer to the term 'valley of the kingdom'. This reminds me of the term 'Godric's Hollow'. This is the place where the Inner God lives. When a person has achieved the balance between the two divine forces - strength and love - he has become the place where God lives! He is therefore liberated.

        Marianna:
[...]

        My response to this is that in addition to the two fundamental types of microcosm, there are actually seven groups, distinguished by the nature of their radiations (by their colour if you like) but at the same time absolutely equal. Once again, to make a perfect creation according to God's Plan, there has to be a balance among the seven types of microcosm. In addition each of the seven groups can be divided up into seven sub-types, and so we reach an amazing complexity in creation.

        Every microcosm is equal of course, but different. It reminds me of the beautiful image of a group of diamonds. Each diamond is the same size, but has different facets, and so refracts the light differently.

        I hope I have been able to give you something to think about. This is obviously a subject that is virtually inexhaustible.

        "Rowling said she couldn't answer the questions about the book's religious content until the conclusion of book seven." CST 99
        "If I talk too freely about whether I believe in God I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what's coming in the books." JKR

      • Temple Richmond
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2006
          As for the astrological rulership of sexuality, the celestial bodies involved are Venus, Mars, and Pluto.  Venus stands for conventional female roles and Mars for the conventional male roles and characteristics, though all persons have some of each within them (obviously).

          Pluto and its correlates - the sign of Scorpio and the 8th house - are pretty well universally recognized as the ruler of the "golden moment" in the sex act itself, though Mars plays a strong role here as the astrological ruler of desire and arousal.  Venus stands for satisfaction and pacification.  So as can be seen, all three figure in.  One each for the two parties (assuming that one is discussing conventional sexual attraction between two members of the opposite sexes), and a third for the interaction.

          Then there's Uranus, which appears very strongly to be related to non-conventional modes of sexuality (such as homosexuality, bi-sexuality, transgenderation, cross dressing, and so forth).  Conjunctions and squares from Venus and Mars to Uranus in the individual chart sometimes (but not always) show a non-conventional orientation to sexuality.  Uranus is also recognized in comparison astrology to show strong attraction between heterosexual persons - such as one person's Venus opposite the other's Uranus.

          And certainly the Moon plays in as well, being a general indicator of emotion and of the life of the form - whether this is in the individual chart or the comparison of two charts.

          However, a decent check into astrological literature would not support the notion that all of sexuality falls under the rulership of the Moon.  This is not even true in the esoteric astrology of Alice Bailey, which could very well be considered an astrology of liberation.  There, yes, the Moon rules the life of the form, but Mars rules desire and intensity of emotion.

          I hope that all readers can be at least temporarily at peace with my choice of the terms conventional and nonconventional.  No value judgments are implied.

          MTR

        • Marianna Marinda
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
            Hans Andréa wrote:
[...]

            .
            This is very interesting to me, probably because it touches on something I am coming to understand about myself and my course.

            I recognize that successful triangulation of the transcendent goal understanding requires a foundation based in more than one perspective.

            There is a time at the peak/cusp of the liberation effort, when the candidate comes 'home'- into their native emotional environment.  However, since the candidate has been so long deprived of the emotional joys this environment represents, there is a major danger of them falling into the trap of embracing that native reality in its yet fallen state, instead of being able to transform it into its true nature.  Here are some examples:
            • A wild animal, raised in captivity, is finally set free.  It's primary danger is in (emotionally) embracing that freedom without the wisdom (mind) of being able to live in the wild, which would result in its death.  That wisdom (if it has learned it) was learned through the efforts of its captors.
            • A poor yet humble man, always having yearned for the richness that he deserves as a child of God, one day inherits all the wealth he could ever have wished for.  What is his primary danger?  Losing it ALL, due to 'losing his mind' in the grand excitement (emotion) of it.  The ability to approach the situation in contemplative peace (if he has learned to do so) was learned during all the years he did not have it.
            • Snape, for so long having tutored under the influence of Dumbledore, is suddenly irrevocably destined to live surrounded by the influence of Voldemort (back to his Slytherin 'home').   Will Snape keep his mind, and ultimately help Harry? Or will he succumb to the emotional environment he is comfortable in and screw the whole thing up?  The mental ability and motivation to NOT screw the whole thing up (aka: the emotional control & understanding needed to constructively collaborate with your enemies [Lupin & Sirius]) will have been something he learned under Dumbledore's influence.
            In these cases, the potion for success= true wisdom.  (If that is what 'knowledge' Snape has been looking for, here is his chance to find it!)

            Anyway, when comes that moment of truth... When the candidate for liberation (Harry) reaches that pivotal point at the mirror of backwards desire, where he will either pursue his natural emotional tendency or receive the stone instead... it is the Truth/wisdom gleaned from the sum of his/her existence in the blackness of the soul (away from one's true family, or other divine inheritance) that causes one to 'keep his mind' when the opportunity of his inheritance emotionally presents itself (in his native environment/home [Godric's Hollow] that is yet tainted with grief/despair), and be able to retrieve the philosopher's stone instead (the final piece/clue of the understanding puzzle that makes the transcendental goal REALizeable).

            As far as sexuality being completely ruled by the moon:  (I believe [Warning- unusually bold statement to follow]) Sexuality (the way of creation) is properly and wholly the domain of the feminine (though dominion of it has been usurped by the fall of man), and there is no question about there being a lunar cycle in relation to that (refer to the feminine creative power, below).  Lupin embodies its fallen yet tragically persistent condition- no wonder Tonks is finding it difficult to connect up with him (or more precisely, to get him to connect up with her).

            Hans Andréa wrote:

[...]

            First of all, Hans, about this 'positive' and 'negative' terminology... use of these terms is an inherently biased and/or scale-tipping way to approach such a (delicate) subject, since we as humans associate values and judgments with such terminology, and cannot see (or seek!) past those associations we make.  Instead, I (highly) recommend using descriptive but non-value-tainted words such as 'expressive' & 'receptive', so we can see the picture properly.

            Second of all, to translate & summarize what I see you're describing here:
                The prototypical man embodies the essence of the causative power; the divine nature of masculine energy expresses Love and receives creative power
                The prototypical woman embodies the essence of Love; the divine nature of feminine energy expresses creation and receives Love
                Divine man(kind) & woman(kind) together create, and are bathed in the power of Love, in an unbroken circuit.

            (Compare this to the fallen state of the wizarding/muggle world: )
                Voldemort embodies the absence of the causative power; his fallen nature receives destructive power and expresses misery
                Dementors embody the absence of Love; their fallen nature receives misery and expresses living death
                Together they maintain Hell.

            (Or to the world we live in: )
                Man carries the seed/potential of the causative power; what does he do with it?  (Does he 'hide his light under a bushel, or on a candlestick where it can give light to all that are in the house?')
                Woman carries the seed/potential of Love; what does she do with it?  (Does she 'bury her talent, or bravely invest and multiply it?')
                'It takes two to tango.'

            :)  OK, it looks like I'm starting to ramble (or otherwise be more bold in my speech than I am used to)... please pardon.  :)

            Hans:
            My response to this is that in addition to the two fundamental types of microcosm, there are actually seven groups, distinguished by the nature of their radiations (by their colour if you like) but at the same time absolutely equal. Once again, to make a perfect creation according to God's Plan, there has to be a balance among the seven types of microcosm. In addition each of the seven groups can be divided up into seven sub-types, and so we reach an amazing complexity in creation.

            This is something I mean to discuss in Part 2...  :)

            For me, this topic of liberating/ed sexuality is oh-so-beautiful to explore, but rather nerve-racking to bring out the full essence of.

            :)
            Marianna

            º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤
            		To truly understand something
                is to no longer be susceptible to the condition of it.
            °º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°

          • Aldo Cauchi Savona
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006

              > As far as sexuality being completely ruled by the moon: (I believe
              > [Warning- unusually bold statement to follow]) Sexuality (the way of
              > creation) is properly and wholly the domain of the feminine (though
              > dominion of it has been usurped by the fall of man), and there is no
              > question about there being a lunar cycle in relation to that (refer to
              > the feminine creative power, below). Lupin embodies its fallen yet
              > tragically persistent condition- no wonder Tonks is finding it difficult
              > to connect up with him (or more precisely, to get him to connect up with
              > her).

              A nice description on creation can be found in the The Gospel of The Egyptians, one of the text recovered from the Nag Hammadi library. The text can be found here:  http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/goseqypt.html
              An easier site to read is http://ashejournal.com/index.php?id=30 (but unfortunately it has corny images).

              From the sethian story of creation, the fall happened due to the femal aspect (sophia) acting out of her own will and creating something withouth the consent of the Father/God out of which she originated. From this point-of-view, creation is an act that requires both the male and female aspects.

              (this is also one of the gospels that give an alternate view on the 'tree in the garden of eden'.)

              ... drop back into oblivion - Aldo...