Chapter 8 Discussion: Snape Victorious

  • iris_ft
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16 12:18 PM
      A double post for the eighth chapter. When I started preparing the
      chapter discussion, I thought it wouldn't be long… and I finished
      with a 12 pages long analyze. The matter is that there are many
      things to say concerning "Snape Victorious", because it mirrors
      several of the most important themes of the novel.
      That's why you'll have two posts instead of one.
      In this one, there's the "light version", with the summary and
      suggestions for possible discussions. In another post, there's
      everything I wrote while I was working on the chapter.
      In both cases, I divided "Snape Victorious" between eight sequences,
      and gave each of them a title, trying to make it fit what seemed to
      be the general meaning of the sequence.

      1)THE LONE TRAVELLER
      (from "Harry could not move a muscle" to "…and nobody knew he was
      still on it")

      What happens:

      •Draco Malfoy jinxed Harry, broke his nose, hided him under the
      Invisibility Cloak and left him alone in a compartment of the
      Express.
      •Petrified, silent, invisible and covered in blood, Harry listens
      with anguish the other students leave the train. At the same time,
      he feels stupid for being in such situation.
      •He tries to break the curse performing a silent spell. As he fails,
      he hopes the others will worry and look for him.
      •The train starts leaving the station back to London, and nobody has
      come.

      What could be interesting:

      * Harry's situation foreshadows what will happen at the end of the
      book, on the Astronomy Tower.
      * Harry loosing his blood isn't just one more dramatic detail. Every
      time JK Rowling spreads Harry's blood, she seals an important change
      in the boy's evolution
      * When Harry tries to liberate himself, he tries to imitate
      Dumbledore. We couldn't find a better metaphor for what will happen
      all along the rest of the book.
      * As in every decisive moment, Harry is alone.
      * One last thing about this sequence: Dumbledore's silences can be
      very eloquent indeed.

      2) VISIBLE DIFFERENCES AND HIDDEN PERMANENCIES
      (from "Then he felt the Invisibility Cloak fly off him" to " I
      suppose I'll just have to sleep out here and wait for the morning")

      What happens:

      •Tonks comes and rescues Harry. They leave the train as it moves out
      of the station.
      •Tonks heals Harry's broken nose, makes him hide under the Cloak,
      and before they start walking towards the castle, she produces a
      strange Patronus as a message telling that Harry is with her.
      •During their walk towards the castle, Tonks tells Harry how she
      managed to find him, and that she's protecting the school.
      •Harry notices how different Tonks is by now. She's not the one she
      used to be the year before.
      •They reach the Hogwarts gate, but it is closed and Harry is unable
      to enter.

      What could be interesting:

      * "Wotcher, Harry!" In this chapter, Tonks repeats towards Harry
      what she did and said the year before, when she had come to find him
      in 4 Privet Drive with the Advance Guard.
      * Things are different now, but the essential remains unchanged. In
      a few lines, JK Rowling evocates books 1, 2, 3 and 5, and tells both
      us and Harry that this is an entirely new world, in which the boy's
      childhood and teenage belong definitely to the past. By now Harry is
      a young adult.
      * The new Tonks is worth a short comment. She seems weaker, like her
      Patronus tends to prove it. But weakness isn't necessarily an
      inconvenient in the series, and Harry is the main example, because
      he defeated Voldemort when he was a baby. As for Tonks, her visible
      change will puzzle the reader.
      * The most important, from a narrative point of view, is hidden
      behind trivial appearances: someone in the castle is an impostor
      and/or a traitor.

      3)THE UNEXPECTED GATEKEEPER
      (from "Someone is coming down for you" to "You can walk in so that
      everyone sees you, which is what you wanted, I'm sure")

      What happens:

      •Someone comes to the gate, holding a lantern. Harry thinks it is
      Filch, but he finds himself face to face with Snape.
      •The gate opens. Snape comments ironically Harry's aspect and
      Tonks's new Patronus.
      •As they walk in silence, Harry struggles against the hatred he
      feels towards Snape. He considers Snape is responsible for Sirius's
      death.
      •Snape takes 70 points from Gryffindor because Harry is late and
      dressed up like a Muggle. He declares Harry wanted to "make an
      entrance". Harry is furious, but he remains silent.
      •Snape makes Harry enter the Great Hall without his Cloak, so
      everyone can notice him.

      What could be interesting:

      * Snape is shown in his inherent ambiguity.
      * Harry is at the same time different and unchanged.

      4)END OF THE FEAST?
      (from "Harry turned on the spot…" to "The talk and laughter echoing
      around the Hall died away almost instantly")

      What happens:

      •Snape makes Harry enter the Great Hall, and Harry hurries towards
      the Gryffindor table, hoping the others won't notice him. He's still
      covered in blood, and Hermione has to clean him. Ron and she would
      like to know what happened, but Harry refuses to talk, hoping they
      will imagine he has been involved in something heroic.
      •Harry tries to reach some food, but it vanishes. He missed the
      feast, and also the Sorting, but the Hat didn't say anything new.
      •Harry watches different people around him: Hagrid, Mac Gonagall,
      Malfoy, and Trelawney, who has come to the feast for the very first
      time.
      •Hermione, Ron and Nearly Headless Nick tell him that everybody
      wants to know if he was really the Chosen One.

      What could be interesting:

      * We find another foreshadowing of what will happen at the end of
      the book, when Hermione exclaims that Harry is covered in blood.
      * Harry has missed the feast and the Sorting, but he hasn't missed
      the most important.
      * We see that Harry has now for good what we can call "a political
      status".
      * We find a reference to the Prophecy. Later in the book, we'll have
      to consider whether omens are trustworthy.

      5)DUMBLEDORE'S LAST WELCOME SPEECH
      (from "The very best of evenings to you!" to "…Quidditch
      commentators, who should do likewise.")

      What happens:

      •Dumbledore welcomes his students with his arms wide open, and
      everyone can notice that his hand is wounded and dead-looking.
      •While Dumbledore is speaking, Harry and Hermione have a short chat
      about his hand.
      •Considerations about using joke items, and about Quidditch.

      What could be interesting:

      * Dumbledore welcomes his students opening his arms, "as though to
      embrace the whole room".
      * What Hermione tells Harry about Dumbledore's hand foreshadows
      several important revelations involving magic.

      6)CONCERNING WISHES AND THEIR ACHIEVEMENT
      (from "We are pleased to welcome a new member…" to "… the silence
      was absolute before continuing".)

      What happens:

      •Dumbledore tells the students their new Potions master will be
      Slughorn. As for DADA, it will be Snape's job.
      •Harry and his friends are astonished; Harry can't understand how
      Snape could be given the DADA job. He also remembers that Dumbledore
      has never said that Slughorn would teach them DADA. It was Harry's
      deduction, not reality.
      •Snape seems to react to his nomination with arrogance; as for
      Harry, he feels so furious that he wishes Snape will leave the
      castle by the en d of the year, and he hopes he will die.

      What could be interesting:

      * Though Harry is the Chosen One, he still has to learn, and he is
      not omniscient.
      * When JK Rowling writes that Harry "was unable to recall Dumbledore
      ever telling him what Slughorn would be teaching", we can say she's
      trying to make us understand there's a gap between what people want
      to believe and reality.
      * "How could Snape be given the Defence Against the Dark Arts job
      after all this time?" This is more than Harry's question. It's a key
      question.
      * Snape's triumph is ambiguous.
      * "Well, there's one good thing. Snape'll be gone by the end of the
      year. The job's jinxed… Quirrell actually died doing it. Personally,
      I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for another death."
      Harry announces what is going to happen by the end of the book.

      7)"I URGE YOU, I IMPLORE YOU, I TRUST YOU"
      (from "Now, as everybody in this Hall…" to "Pip pip!")

      What happens:

      •Dumbledore tells the students that Voldemort and his followers are
      back, and gaining power. Malfoy doesn't pay attention to what the
      Headmaster says.
      •Dumbledore explains that the castle's fortifications have been
      strengthened and that the students must be vigilant, tell the
      teachers whenever something strange happens, and care for each
      others.

      What could be interesting:

      * Dumbledore's insistence about protecting the castle from exterior
      danger.
      * "I urge you, I implore you, I trust you": in a few words,
      Dumbledore is foreshadowing what he will do on the top of the
      Astronomy Tower.

      8)THE HEIRS OF DUMBLEDORE
      (from "With the usual deafening scraping noise…" to "he did not like
      to think")

      What happens:

      •The students leave the Hall. Hermione takes care of the first-years.
      •Harry and Ron remain at the back of the group. Harry tells Ron what
      happened on the train, but Ron doesn't want to believe that Draco is
      planning something.
      •Hagrid comes and explains he couldn't welcome Harry at the gate
      because he was with Grawp. He also gives news of Buckbeak.
      •Harry, Ron and Hermione won't study Care of Magical Creatures, but
      the boys don't dare tell Hagrid.

      What could be interesting:

      * Hermione and Ron immediately obey Dumbledore's recommendations.
      * Hagrid's character seems to loose importance.
    • M.Clifford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25 5:59 PM
        Iris wrote:
        3)THE UNEXPECTED GATEKEEPER
        (from "Someone is coming down for you" to "You can walk in so that
        everyone sees you, which is what you wanted, I'm sure")
        * We find another foreshadowing of what will happen at the end of the
        book, when Hermione exclaims that Harry is covered in blood.

        Valky:
        I put these two together to illustrate something that JKR is careful
        not to make explicit in the narrative. Snape has seen Harry's face
        covered in blood, and he wants everyone to see Harry exactly this way.
        Why? I wonder, does Snape *want* the blood to be seen? Can that have
        meaning from some spiritual angle?

        Iris also wrote:
        * Harry loosing his blood isn't just one more dramatic detail. Every
        time JK Rowling spreads Harry's blood, she seals an important change
        in the boy's evolution

        Valky:
        Just off the top of my head, Harry bleeds in his battle with the
        basilisk; He bleeds in the Triwizard tournament and after his blood is
        shed by (ego) Peter for Voldemort. These *are* especially two very
        important moments in Harry's evolution, and they are also perhaps even
        more relevant to Voldemort's evolution as well. They seem to be
        connected in that both times there is some physical ressurrection of
        Voldemort in direct contrast to Harry bleeding, and notice, Harry's
        blood is on the basilisk tooth which destroys the Diary Horcrux, which
        is in direct parrallel to Dumbledore's gleam of triumph in response to
        the details of Voldemort's graveyard resurrection.

        Later in HBP Dumbledore intimates that Harry's blood is somewhat
        *precious* and rather Dumbledore spills his own blood to open the gate
        into Voldemort's cave. Harry, later in Voldemorts cave, cuts his arm
        on a rock and his blood is spilled in the cave. The cave, to me
        symbolises the inner Astral emotional core of Voldemort, the Heart of
        Voldemort. In the cave is still dark water filled with *bloodless*
        (voided) entities (inferi), the "heart" of Voldemort is gone from it's
        place, and all that is to be found is a pernicious green bane in the
        place of honour where the heart (and love) should be. Within the core
        of Voldemort's Astral Body instead of a bright shining star (Sirius)
        as we see in Harry's Astral body, we find a bloodless, soulless, cold
        void, which Regulus (Star) has fled, taking the gold with him.
        Harry's blood is spilled in this void, it is spilled from his arm,
        like in the resurrection. At this time I am seeing Harry's blood in
        the cave as a symbol of his compassion, a symbol of the tears of the
        brotherhood falling on the empty heart in sadness for this terrible
        loss. The cave is also symbolic of Voldemort's childhood, his very
        early loss of innocence, he emptied his heart in that cave so very
        young. When Harry bleeds here, he symbolises the brotherhoods longing
        for the seeker to return, the dropping of the seed on infertile soil
        which symbolises the eternal hope. Harry leaves his blood at the door
        of the cave foreshadowing the sealing of Voldemort at the end of the
        series, Voldemort will be sealed inside the door of a heart in the
        end, I suspect, as I have said before, that heart wil be Nagini's.

        One more thing about Harry's bloody nose in HBP. In OOtP Neville is
        kicked in the face and his nose is broken and bleeding , exactly as
        happens to Harry later. Is this another symbol of the knocking on the
        door of the seeker or something of a similar calibre. In OOtP after
        Neville's nose is broken he becomes unable to perform spells, and
        despite Harry's warning to him not to follow Neville goes with him to
        take on the Death Eaters, leaving Hermione alone and unconcious, and
        leaving Ron battling the brain in his weakened state. Harry does a
        similar thing in HBP, despite that he is powerless to act he runs for
        the battle with Draco, Voldemrt and the Death Eaters, later he starts
        to regret that he has left his friends and loved ones in so much
        danger, and this leads him to end his relationship with Ginny.

        Harry's bloodied face in chapter 8 Snape Victorious, seems to have
        some profound meaning spiritually. We could suppose that Snape wanted
        the Hogwarts crowd to see blood on Harry's face as proof that Harry is
        fallible. This would give Snape a lot of satisfaction, but Snape's
        shallow desires are often not only that, as in the case of POA where
        he, as a symbol of the dark past of the seeker, symbolised the
        seekers doubt through his wanton wish to see Sirius destroyed for his
        crimes. I therefore suspect that Snape here symbolises a soul bearing
        aspect of the seeker in HBP. By wishing that the whole of Hogwarts
        will see Harry's bared soul Snape is perhaps symbolising the will of
        the seeker to display power. Harry does not really want it, but the
        Snape aspect of him does want it, has strived for it, and wants it to
        be recognised. Harry does not get to eat after his display of power,
        he goes hungry instead, while Snape instead gets the recognition that
        it seems he has craved so long.

        Valky