RE: [harrypotteranonymous] Re: Godric

  • Jennifer Keenan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2000
      Well, if we're talking baby names - my speciality! This from my fave source,
      the Oxford Dictionary of English Christian Names:

      Godric (m): Old English _Godric_, compound of _God_ and _ric_ "ruler". It
      seems to be a specifically Old English name, without any corresponding Old
      German form. It was very common in England before the Norman Conquest. The
      Normans used it as a nickname for an Englishman, and called Henry I and his
      queen Godric and Godiva in allusion to her English blood and his supposedly
      English sympathies. It seems to have died out in the course of the 13th and
      14th centrues, but not before giving rise to the surnames Godrich, Goodridh,
      Goodrick, Goodridge.
      Godric(us) was noted in the Domesday Book in 1086.

      FWIW, of course. <g>

      Jennifer K.