File - guidelines.txt

  • harptalk@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 136 , Sep 1, 2007
      To all List Members,

      Here are a few guidelines for your posting on this
      mailing list that will make your postings easier to
      read and follow for all list members. Most of them
      are basic email courtesy, but bear repeating for those
      who are not familiar with them. It is not my intent
      to create a lot of rules for the list, but rather to
      make the reading of the postings and the digests
      easier for everyone to follow.

      1. Trim your replies. Many times we will see a post
      other message, or the entire thread with multiple
      replies going back several days, or even an entire
      digest! We really only need to see the portion of the
      preceeding message or thread that applies directly to
      your response. While you SHOULD include enough of the
      talking about, usually a couple of sentences are
      enough for people to understand the context of your
      reply. Please avoid this "lazy quoting" habit so that
      we may all follow threads more easily.

      2. Bottom Quoting. The sentence or two that you
      quote to give context to your reply should be ABOVE
      your answer, not below it. This allows the reader to
      get the context before reading your reply. Replies
      are often hard to understand if they are read without
      context.

      3. Large Signature Files. Reasonably sized signature
      files are fine, but we often see large paragraphs in
      signature files that are totally unnecessary for a
      post intended to be read on a public forum. The
      "privacy" or "confidentiality" paragraphs that are
      attached to some people's signatures are an example.
      This often means that the signature is larger than the
      entire message. Please trim your large signature
      files to a few lines with your basic contact
      information, url, etc.

      4. Subject Titles. Subject titles should be relevent
      to the topic being discussed in the post. Many times
      a discussion will drift far away from the original
      topic. If the subject line on your reply no longer
      reflects the content of the post, the subject line
      should be changed when you reply. A transition can be
      signaled to others by changing subject and referring
      to the old subject, like this: "New Subject (was Old
      Subject)". After a few posts on the new topic the
      "was old subject" can be dropped, leaving an
      appropriate subject line for the new thread.

      5. Please turn OFF the HTML on the email you send to the list. Many mail readers don't convert it so that people wind up with a bunch of code on their screen and whatever message you were trying to send gets lost in the code. Also, many of our non US members pay for their email by the KB, and this type of code costs them money to download something they can't read. Please be considerate and just send your messages in plain text.

      If we all examine our posting habits and make these
      small adjustments, it will make reading the postings
      and digests far more "user friendly" for everyone.
      Thank you for your attention!

      =====

      Regards,
      John Watts, Coast to Coast Music
      http://coast2coastmusic.com
      Harmonicas, Guitars, & Accessories
      800-776-5015
    • harptalk@yahoogroups.com
      Message 136 of 136 , Apr 1 1:22 AM
[...]

        2. Large Signature Files. Reasonably sized signature
        files are fine, but we often see large paragraphs in
        signature files that are totally unnecessary for a
        post intended to be read on a public forum. The
        "privacy" or "confidentiality" paragraphs that are
        attached to some people's signatures are an example.
        This often means that the signature is larger than the
        entire message. Please trim your large signature
        files to a few lines with your basic contact
        information, url, etc.

        3. Subject Titles. Subject titles should be relevant
        to the topic being discussed in the post. Many times
        a discussion will drift far away from the original
        topic. If the subject line on your reply no longer
        reflects the content of the post, the subject line
        should be changed when you reply. A transition can be
        signaled to others by changing subject and referring
        to the old subject, like this: "New Subject (was Old
        Subject)". After a few posts on the new topic the
        "was old subject" can be dropped, leaving an
        appropriate subject line for the new thread.

        4. Please turn OFF the HTML on the email you send to the list. Many mail readers don't convert it so that people wind up with a bunch of code on their screen and whatever message you were trying to send gets lost in the code. Also, many of our non US members pay for their email by the KB, and this type of code costs them money to download something they can't read. Please be considerate and just send your messages in plain text.

        If we all examine our posting habits and make these
        small adjustments, it will make reading the postings
        and digests far more "user friendly" for everyone.
        Thank you for your attention!

        =====
        http://coast2coastmusic.com
        Harmonicas & Accessories