Daily Almanac - December 1

  • pkrampert@ameritech.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      Harmonicats lead chromatic harmonica player Jerry Murad was born on this day
      in 1920. Murad grew up on Chicago's west side, where he joined the Walla
      Walla Harmonica Club, meeting Al Fiore and Bob Hadamik. The three would
      form their own professional band and that band would evolve over the years
      into The Harmonicats.
      For more information on Jerry Murad and his recordings visit:
      www.eharmonica.net/jerry_murad.htm

      Jazz / Rock violin player Don "Sugarcane" Harris died on this day in 1999.
      Harris, who could also play the harmonica, played with John Mayall, Frank
      Zappa and others.
      For more information on Don "Sugarcane Harris and his recordings visit:
      www.eharmonica.net/don.htm

      It is extremely sad to note the death of Beatle George Harrison. Harrison
      was a musician's musician, always playing exactly the right lead part for
      whatever song he was working on. It should be noted by folks on the various
      harmonica lists that George was one of several musicians credited with
      playing harmonica on "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite". There is an
      excellent photo of George and John playing harmonicas from the recording
      session included in the booklet from "Beatles Anthology 2".

      That's all I have for today. Have fun and practice.

      Peter Krampert, author
      The Encyclopedia of the Harmonica
    • pkrampert@ameritech.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        The great Jerry Murad was born on this day in 1920. Jerry was the lead
        harmonica player for the Harmonicats from it's beginnings in the mid-1940's
        until Jerry's death in 1996. Their record, "Peg O My Heart" still stands as
        the third best-selling single record of all time.
        For more information about the life, career and recordings of Jerry Murad,
        please visit:
        http://www.eharmonica.net/jerry_murad.htm

        Blues / Rock multi-instrumentalist Don "Sugarcane" Harris died on this day
        in 1999. known mostly for his violin playing, Harris often cited Little
        Walter for the tone he used on all of his instruments.
        For more information on the life, career and recordings of Sugarcane Harris,
        please visit:
        http://www.eharmonica.net/don_harris.htm

        That's all I have for today. have fun and practice.

        Peter Krampert, author
        The Encyclopedia of the Harmonica
        http://www.eharmonica.net
      • Cromwell, Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
          I have a good friend and teacher, Alex Axiotis. Alex is 76/77 and started
          playing harmonica when he was about 16. He played with the Harmonicats and
          Jerry Murad. Alex is still playing and is presently playing at Value City at
          the Mall in Lynchburg, Virginia. He has been playing from 1PM to 10 or 11
          depending on the crowd. Hey, if you're in the area drop in and listen to a
          great harmonica player. If you ask I'm sure he would do "Peg O My Heart".

          Tom

[...]

          Go Coast to Coast Music for Free Harmonica Tips and Great Harmonica Prices!
          http://www.coast2coastmusic.com

          TO MODIFY YOUR SUBSCRIPTION - send a blank e-mail message from the
          subscribed address to harptalk-help@yahoogroups.com

          TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM HARPTALK - send an email to: