Re: b harp

  • David A. Lovatto
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
      --- In harptalk@y..., "Brian Siciliano" <blsharp@m...> wrote:
      > ok, i just ordered a lee oskar in B. it was one of the few keys i
      didn't have. i got it for "gimmee one reason", thanks for the advice.
      my question now, what other songs or harp players can i listen to for
      that key. <br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
      <a
      href='http://go.msn.com/bql/hmtag_itl_EN.asp'>http://explorer.msn.com<
      /a><br>

      > Brian, learning songs in the key of B is great! Although, since
      most harp players learn basically the usual licks from their
      respected heros, I myself would encourage those to write their own
      songs in that key(F#)Since,guitarist usually transpose down or up
      because of their muscle memory, as a composer, one can stick their
      guns and say, I wrote this song in this key for a particular reason.
      I want to use my B harp!
    • Bill Gausman
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
        --- In harptalk@y..., abyss@t... wrote:
        > B is not a commonly used harp key. In second position you are
        playing
        > in the key of F# which I believe is unorthodox for guitar players.
        ---------
        Or, it could be "G flat", or G for those guitar players who like the
        lighter string tension of half-step-flat tuning. That would make it
        much more common.

        Wild Willy
        -------
      • David A. Lovatto
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
          --- In harptalk@y..., "Bill Gausman" <updraft942@a...> wrote:
          > --- In harptalk@y..., abyss@t... wrote:
          > > B is not a commonly used harp key. In second position you are
          > playing
          > > in the key of F# which I believe is unorthodox for guitar
          players.
          > ---------
          > Or, it could be "G flat", or G for those guitar players who like
          the
          > lighter string tension of half-step-flat tuning. That would make
          it
          > much more common.
          >
          > Wild Willy, Speaking of lighter tension. It is said, that the
          reason why Stevie Ray Vaughn would tune down, would be because he
          would play heavier strings for a fatter sound and it was easier to
          play 'em that way. Although one hear the traditional blues licks in E
          tuning, the sounding key is Eb. I am sure he plays some songs in Gb
          (F#) Theorically, Cb exits, enharmonically speaking.
          > -------
        • Mojo Red
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
            --- abyss@... wrote:
            > B is not a commonly used harp key. In second
            > position you are playing
            > in the key of F# which I believe is unorthodox
            > for guitar players.
            <<snip>>

            In my band we have exactly 1 (one) song done in the
            key of F#. It's an original rock/blues tune (You
            Need Love) written by our guitar player.... Lord
            only knows why he chose that key. But since I only
            use the B harp for that one tune, I have not had to
            replace a B harp in a very, ~very~ long time. :-)

            Harpin' in Colorado,
            --Ken M

            =====
            "When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
            ---Li'l Ronnie Owens

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • IronMan Mike Curtis
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2001
              On 2 Sep 2001, at 14:44, Bill Gausman wrote:

              > --- In harptalk@y..., abyss@t... wrote:
              > > B is not a commonly used harp key. In second position you are
              > playing
              > > in the key of F# which I believe is unorthodox for guitar players.

              Actually, F# is a nice guitar key. Play a barred E chord on the 2nd
              fret, and leave the first string open. You can do some nifty open
              leads in F#.

              > ---------
              > Or, it could be "G flat", or G for those guitar players who like the
              > lighter string tension of half-step-flat tuning. That would make it
              > much more common.

              Yup - that too.

              -IronMan Mike Curtis LIVE video of Mikes #1 MP3 hit PLAY THEM BLUES
              Featuring a C diatonic harmonica solo in 7 different keys (G, A, B, C, D, E, F)
              http://bumpngrindrecords.com/ironman_play_blues.ram
              Order IronMans CD-get a FREE vacation! http://www.bumpNgrindrecords.com
            • Simon Maher
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2001
                >From: "Brian Siciliano" <blsharp@...>
                >To: <harptalk@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [HarpTalk] b harp
                >Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 04:24:39 -0400
                >
                >ok, i just ordered a lee oskar in B. it was one of the few keys i didn't
                >have. i got it for "gimmee one reason", thanks for the advice. my question
                >now, what other songs or harp players can i listen to for that key. <br

                Hello there, everyone

                I, too, am toying with the idea of getting a B harp - specifically to be
                able to play a fantastic tune by a British blues band, The Hoax (anyone know
                'em?!). Would everyone rcommend a Lee Oskar? - I am in two minds, because I
                bet I won't use a B harp much for anything alse. How's about any slightly
                cheaper B harps if it's not worth investing?

                The tune is called "Hungry man's blues". If you can, check out The Hoax (who
                have since split and started rather successful solo projects/other bands) -
                as an introduction to them, I would recommend their farewell live CD, "Live
                forever", featuring the above tune, or their other studio albums - all can
                be found at:

                www.the-hoax.com

                and if you haven't ever heard them, you won't be disappointed (follow the
                'Buy CDs' link to listen to samples at MP3.com). There's even links to the
                band's new individual projects here.

                I am learning loads from all the discussion points here, and I thank you
                all!

                yours gratefully,

                Simon Maher,
                London, England.

              • Patrick Lines
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2001
                  Check out Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan's In Session cd. They do "
                  Blues at Sunrise " in F#.

                  Harmonica Prices! http://www.coast2coastmusic.com

                  > TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM HARPTALK - send a blank e-mail message from the
                  subscribed address to harptalk-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • David A. Lovatto
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2001
                    --- In harptalk@y..., "IronMan Mike Curtis" <ironman@i...> wrote:

                    > On 2 Sep 2001, at 14:44, Bill Gausman wrote:
                    >
                    > > --- In harptalk@y..., abyss@t... wrote:
                    > > > B is not a commonly used harp key. In second position you are
                    > > playing
                    > > > in the key of F# which I believe is unorthodox for guitar
                    players.

                    > Actually, F# is a nice guitar key. Play a barred E chord on the
                    2nd
                    > fret, and leave the first string open. You can do some nifty open
                    > leads in F#. Yeah, Mike that's great voicing. I play more like the
                    Allman Bros. position( Sweet Melissa)

                    > > ---------
                    > > Or, it could be "G flat", or G for those guitar players who like
                    the
                    > > lighter string tension of half-step-flat tuning. That would make
                    it
                    > > much more common.
                    >
                    > Yup - that too.
                    >

                    > -IronMan Mike Curtis LIVE video of Mikes #1 MP3 hit PLAY THEM
                    BLUES
                    > Featuring a C diatonic harmonica solo in 7 different keys (G, A, B,
                    C, D, E, F)
                    > http://bumpngrindrecords.com/ironman_play_blues.ram
                    > Order IronMans CD-get a FREE vacation!
                    http://www.bumpNgrindrecords.com
                  • jseever
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2001
                      for cheap harps, I have had success with suzuki folkmaster, but I always
                      enjoy Lee Oskars whether the key is common or not.
                      > >ok, i just ordered a lee oskar in B. it was one of the few keys i didn't
                      > >have. i got it for "gimmee one reason", thanks for the advice. my
                      question
                      > >now, what other songs or harp players can i listen to for that key. <br
                      >

                      > Hello there, everyone
                      >
                      > I, too, am toying with the idea of getting a B harp - specifically to be
                      > able to play a fantastic tune by a British blues band, The Hoax (anyone
                      know
                      > 'em?!). Would everyone rcommend a Lee Oskar? - I am in two minds, because
                      > bet I won't use a B harp much for anything alse. How's about any slightly
                      > cheaper B harps if it's not worth investing?
                      >
                      > The tune is called "Hungry man's blues". If you can, check out The Hoax
                      (who
                      > have since split and started rather successful solo projects/other
                      bands) -
                      > as an introduction to them, I would recommend their farewell live CD,
                      "Live
                      > forever", featuring the above tune, or their other studio albums - all can
                      > be found at:
                      >
                      > www.the-hoax.com
                      >
                      > and if you haven't ever heard them, you won't be disappointed (follow the
                      > 'Buy CDs' link to listen to samples at MP3.com). There's even links to the
                      > band's new individual projects here.
                      >
                      > I am learning loads from all the discussion points here, and I thank you
                      > all!
                      >
                      > yours gratefully,
                      >
                      > Simon Maher,
                      > London, England.

                    • Bill Gausman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 3, 2001
                        --- In harptalk@y..., "David A. Lovatto" <ncblues@e...> wrote:
                        Speaking of lighter tension. It is said, that the
                        > reason why Stevie Ray Vaughn would tune down, would be because he
                        > would play heavier strings for a fatter sound and it was easier to
                        > play 'em that way.

                        A long time ago, I had a guitar player that had a short-necked guitar.
                        He could keep the tension down and still play in standard tuning. He
                        did it because the strings bent better. He was a good guitar player
                        and knew his stuff. Left us to join Elvin Bishop and Mickey Thomas.

                        As a harp player, I hate the guy that started the half-step down
                        tuning. He made me buy twice as many harps. It's not limited to
                        guitar players, though. Maybe it was their defense against us harp
                        players.

                        Back in the days, I used to help Lazy Bill Lucas haul around his
                        piano, he played on the black keys only. Sharp and flat keys weren't
                        available at the local music stores. We gigged with Mojo Buford and
                        Lazy Bill at the time. I don't think I ever heard even Mojo play along
                        with Lazy Bill.

                        Wild Willy
                        --------------------------
                      • David A. Lovatto
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 4, 2001
                          --- In harptalk@y..., "Bill Gausman" <updraft942@a...> wrote:
                          > --- In harptalk@y..., "David A. Lovatto" <ncblues@e...> wrote:
                          > Speaking of lighter tension. It is said, that the
                          > > reason why Stevie Ray Vaughn would tune down, would be because he
                          > > would play heavier strings for a fatter sound and it was easier
                          > > play 'em that way.
                          >
                          > A long time ago, I had a guitar player that had a short-necked
                          guitar.
                          > He could keep the tension down and still play in standard tuning.
                          He
                          > did it because the strings bent better. He was a good guitar
                          player
                          > and knew his stuff. Left us to join Elvin Bishop and Mickey Thomas.
                          >
                          > As a harp player, I hate the guy that started the half-step down
                          > tuning. He made me buy twice as many harps. It's not limited to
                          > guitar players, though. Maybe it was their defense against us harp
                          > players.
                          >
                          > Back in the days, I used to help Lazy Bill Lucas haul around his
                          > piano, he played on the black keys only. Sharp and flat keys
                          weren't
                          > available at the local music stores. We gigged with Mojo Buford
                          and
                          > Lazy Bill at the time. I don't think I ever heard even Mojo play
                          along
                          > with Lazy Bill. I got my first jam with Mojo Buford. Harp player
                          then for Muddy Waters. I have an autographed album, that a friend of
                          mine brought back from Orleans.

                          > Wild Willy
                          > --------------------------
                        • Bill Gausman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4, 2001
                            --- In harptalk@y..., "David A. Lovatto" <ncblues@e...> wrote:
                            I got my first jam with Mojo Buford. Harp player
                            > then for Muddy Waters. I have an autographed album, that a friend of
                            > mine brought back from Orleans.

                            Someone just told me that Mojo is touring with James Cotton right now,
                            or has recently, doing the vocals for him.

                            We used to play a club that had two stages... the Cabooze/Joint in
                            Minneapolis. It seemed that the other stage either had Mojo Buford or
                            Kim Wilson most of the times we played, unless they had a national act
                            like Willie Dixon.

                            Wild Willy
                            --------------------
                          • John Watts
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 4, 2001
                              --- Carrol J Tipper <ctipper@...> wrote:
                              > I just saw a documentary on the JAZZ channel which
                              > featured Muddy Waters. I
                              > watched wondering who the harmonica player was.
                              > After the credits rolled I
                              > found out that it was 'mojo' Buford. Though I had
                              > heard of him, I had never
                              > paid much attention to his playing. He wasn't
                              > James Cotton, but I found
                              > his playing acceptable. I then roamed around the
                              > 'net and found a few audio
                              > clips and then found myself more impressed.

                              We have four of Mojo Buford's CDs available on our new
                              CD page at:

                              http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/general/cds.shtml

                              =====
                              Regards,
                              John Watts, Coast to Coast Music - http://www.coast2coastmusic.com
                              Harmonicas and Accessories

                              http://im.yahoo.com
                            • Carrol J Tipper
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 4, 2001
                                I just saw a documentary on the JAZZ channel which featured Muddy Waters. I
                                watched wondering who the harmonica player was. After the credits rolled I
                                found out that it was 'mojo' Buford. Though I had heard of him, I had never
                                paid much attention to his playing. He wasn't James Cotton, but I found
                                his playing acceptable. I then roamed around the 'net and found a few audio
                                clips and then found myself more impressed.

                                I haven't heard that he was touring with James. I know that James has
                                been hiring vocalists to tour with because of this voice problems. My
                                friend Darrell Nulisch has been on tour with him, and even participated on
                                an album for him.