Re: [HarpTalk] chord progressions

  • wtaylor283@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2001
      Harpin' in Colorado,

      I sure did appreciate your e-mail to tilecutter. That was a good explanation
      of the (I-IV-V) chord progression. The best I ever heard. Now sir, show me
      how to do it. I mean can you break it down further. Maybe an example.
      Thanks!

      Wild Bill - Baltimore

    • Mojo Red
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2001
        --- wtaylor283@... wrote:
        > Harpin' in Colorado,
        >
        > I sure did appreciate your e-mail to tilecutter.
        > That was a good explanation
        > of the (I-IV-V) chord progression. The best I
        > ever heard. Now sir, show me
        > how to do it. I mean can you break it down
        > further. Maybe an example.
        > Thanks!
        >

        > Wild Bill - Baltimore

        Hi Wild Bill. Thanks for the kind words!

        I think the place to start in getting around the
        chord changes for Blues is to chug chords and plug
        in very simple riffs with ~much~ emphasis on your
        rhythms.

        To me, Blues is rhythm much more so than melody or
        actual riffs. A riff without proper rhythm is just
        a bunch of notes. So, my advice would be to start
        with blowing those chords rhythmically until you're
        getting a good Bluesy feel.

        That said, I'll offer you here a simple, Simple tab
        to walk you through the changes, just for practice
        sake. Should get you started with the riffing
        end... but you'll have to supply your own rhythm.
        :-)

        As review, here's the basic 12-bar structure
        showing the chord changes:

        |I|I|I|I|IV|IV|I|I|V|IV|I|V|

        Here's a tab-walk through the changes with a simple
        example for a blues in G using your C harp. Only
        one half-step bend required. Each tab line
        represents one 4-count bar:

        (I) G
        2, 2+, 1, 2+
        2, 2+, 1, 2+
        2, 2+, 1, 2+
        2, 2+, 1, 2+

        (IV) C
        4+, 3', 2, 3'
        4+, 3', 2, 3'

        (I) G
        2, 2+, 1, 2+
        2, 2+, 1, 2+

        (V) D
        1, 4, 4+, 4

        (IV)
        1+, 4+, 3', 4+

        (I) G
        2, 2+, 1, 2+

        (V) D
        2, 1, 1, 1

        (Pepeat progression)

        Tab:
        2 = 2 draw
        2+ = 2 blow
        3' = 3 draw with 1/2 step bend

        Play around with this and once your very
        comfortable (and rhythmic), try to encorporate
        notes from those scales I showed you earlier and
        you'll start really having some ~Fun~ with this.

        Good luck!

        Harpin' in Colorado,
        --Ken M.

        =====
        "When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
        ---Li'l Ronnie Owens

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • wtaylor283@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 5, 2001
          Harpin in Colorado,

          Thanks again for your e-mail response. How about a midi file to hear how
          this progression should sound. You seem to know what you're talking about.
          The Blues will never die with folks like you. Thanks!

          Wild Bill

        • Mojo Red
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 5, 2001
            Wild Bill,

            Alas, I am living a midi-free existence and cannot
            create an audio example for you. It is as simple as
            I could make it, however, so you should be able to
            play around with it until you get your own bluesy
            feeling from it. The point was to walk you through
            the chord changes.

            Again, the rhythm and note mephasis are what will
            make it fly, and those must come from you.

            Good luck! Have fun with it!

            Harpin' in Colorado,
            --Ken M.

            =====