Postdoctoral position at the Australian National University

  • andrew.hassell
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2010
      I'd like to draw attention to the fact that the Mathematical
      Sciences Institute at the Australian National University is
      currently advertising a postdoctoral position for up to 3 years, mostly funded by my research grant, in spectral theory/microlocal analysis/harmonic analysis/PDE.

      A similar position was advertised earlier in 2010. Although two offers were made,
      in the end we didn't appoint anyone to the position. In re-advertising, the position has been
      made (hopefully) more attractive: it can be taken either as a research-only position
      for 2 years, or for 3 years with a 1/3 teaching load (i.e. the equivalent of one
      year's teaching load spread over 3 years).

      The closing date for applications is Sept 27. The official ANU advertisement
      is at

      http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/jobs/A365-10VV/

      but that need not be taken too seriously; all I really need from applicants is
      their CV, together with a list of referees, from whom we can get letters.
      It is best if candidates let me know personally that they are applying, as well
      as submitting their application through the official channels.

      In general terms, I am looking for someone with a recent PhD (most
      likely within the last 3 years, although anyone is welcome to apply) or
      who is expecting to get their PhD in the next few months.
      It is expected that the successful
      candidate will work at least partly on research proposed in my grant,
      possibly in collaboration with myself. Topics in my grant proposal include
      quantum ergodicity and quantum chaos, and global analytic properties
      of Laplace-type operators on noncompact Riemannian manifolds, particularly
      manifolds with structure at infinity such as asymptotically conic, asymptotically
      hyperbolic, etc.

      Best regards,

      Andrew Hassell.