OJAC (online journal of analytic combinatorics)

  • Alex Iosevich
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2005
      Dear all,

      I am writing to let you know about a new online mathematics journal,
      founded by Izabella Laba, Sinai Robins, and Alex Iosevich, dedicated
      to the interaction between harmonic analysis, geometric combinatorics,
      number theory and other areas. The web page of this journal is
      http://www.ojac.org We are now accepting papers, so please keep us in

      I am enclosing below the message from the founding editors, taken
      directly from the aforementioned web page.

      Best wishes,

      Alex Iosevich

      An exciting new branch of mathematics is emerging at the crossroads of
      analysis, combinatorics, and number theory. The last decade has seen
      an impressive array of results bringing various parts of these fields
      together, through newly discovered connections and analogies,
      ingenious combinations of techniques from different areas, and their
      applications to a wide variety of problems. There is an unprecedented
      level of collaboration between analysts and combinatorialists,
      interested in closely related questions but approaching them from
      different points of view. This has already opened highly promising new
      directions in research, where further significant developments are
      certain to be expected. To give just a few examples:

      The recent work on questions related to Szemeredi's theorem on
      arithmetic progressions is giving rise to a new rapidly developing
      area of mathematics, drawing on ideas and methods of combinatorics,
      harmonic analysis, number theory, and ergodic theory.
      Fourier-analytic techniques are being used to answer questions in
      Euclidean geometry (e.g. convex geometry, tiling and packing
      problems). Conversely, combinatorial geometry techniques, developed in
      connection with classic problems in combinatorics, are being applied
      to Fourier-analytic questions, especially those concerning Fourier
      transforms of singular measures. Our decision to launch OJAC was
      motivated by the growing need for a journal dedicated to publishing
      this type of work. While there are many excellent existing journals
      specializing in analysis, number theory, or combinatorics, our
      particular focus will be on contributions which "live in between"
      these fields. We feel that this will complement well the existing
      publications, while providing the necessary outlet for those papers of
      a more interdisciplinary nature which may be hard to classify and
      difficult to evaluate by the standards of only one area of

      We are currently working to assemble an editorial board of
      mathematicians whose collective expertise will cover the somewhat
      eclectic scope of the journal. We hope to ensure a competent and fair
      refereeing process, timely publication, and easy world-wide access to
      all published articles. At a later date, we may consider publishing a
      printed version of the journal, but only if it can be done without
      compromising our principles.

      Founding and managing editors:
      Alex Iosevich, Izabella Laba, Sinai Robins
      June 2005