Re: [hardbat] Re: a weekend of LIHA in San Francisco area

  • martyreis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
      Bigman,

      LOST YOUR NUMBER

      PLEASE CALL ANYTIME.

      LOT'S TO TELL YOU..

      DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR GREAT POETRY

      MARTY

      SEND YOUR Address as well

      marty
    • Lobo
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
        It was great! We had many of the old gang there: Al, Hermann, Bob, Bruce, the Twin Dragons, Andy, Matt, all the drop ins at ICC, and lots of great rallies. Peter beat us up pretty bad. It was great to see Al back to his old form and playing so well, without back pain.

        Lobo

        --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "bjgmann615" <bjgmann615@...> wrote:

        > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@> wrote:
        > >
        > > A weekend of LIHA table tennis in the Bay Area!
        > > Featuring Mr. Liha himself: Peter Cua.
        > >
        > > 1. Friday July 30, 6:30pm at ICC (Milpitas)
        > > 2. Saturday July 31, 1:30pm at Potrero Hill (SF)
        > > (and hopefully dinner to follow at a local spot)
        > >
        > > If you can, try to attend both! A good turnout
        > > of hardbatters will ensure the continued growth
        > > of Liha and strengthen the connections with our
        > > Philippine classic table tennis partners.
        > >
        > > Bring your favorite sandpaper or bare wood paddle.
        > > If you have extras, bring those too... we plan
        > > to have some loaners, but we might not have
        > > enough to go around.
        >
        > Hi Scott,
        >
        > How did the liha exhibition go over the weekend?
        > I really wish I could have attended it, though I don't presently have the resources to come to Northern California from Southeastern Arizona. Still, having seen liha on YouTube, I am mightly impressed with the all-round virtuosity of its finest lihadors. In many ways, liha is the closest thing to the hardbat I remember of my youth, in which service did not play a major role; it was how well one attacked or defended once a point had started with counted.
        >
        > Give my best regards to Mr. Cua and tell him that I truly wished all of the lihadors could have come and demonstrated, albeit under American rules for hardbat, their beautiful version of table tennis at our U.S. Open. My best wishes to all lihadors, and viva liha!
        >
        > Berndt Mann
        > > For those of you who have been away from the
        > > planet for a few years, "Liha" is SANDPAPER.
        > > It's also a traditional method of play in the
        > > Philippines, and it's stars are called "Lihadors".
        > > Liha features "easy-serve-easy-return", and a
        > > lot of fun rallies mixing offense and defense.
        > >
        > > After a successful Liha event at the U.S. Open
        > > in Grand Rapids, Peter Cua is taking the Liha
        > > tour through California, with stops at Balboa
        > > Park, El Monte, and ending up in the Bay Area.
        > > San Francisco is his last stop before heading
        > > back to Manila.
        > >
        > > The plan is for Peter and fellow Lihador Andy Abad
        > > to demonstrate Liha and its rules to us, and then
        > > we will all have plenty of time to experience
        > > Liha in its true traditional and cultural form.
        > >
        > > Peter also has a video that he hopes to show us
        > > which assembles a mix of liha topics with rare
        > > modern training footage that is sure to interest
        > > both classic and modern table tennis players.
        > >
        > > If you like hardbat, you'll love Liha!
        > >
        > > For questions or directions, please contact me:
        > > Scott Gordon, 916-978-0117, sgordon@
        > > RSVP if possible, but not necessary.

      • peter
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
          Gentlemen ,

          Im now back in the Philippines,

          Such a physical torture ! just for travel and just for pingpong
          Glad and good I have other agenda on my trip , my other side of business in order to hit 3 birds with one stone. Hoping to be able to get my expense back which im sure will down the road

          Now I cannot sleep well . its now 5 am
          So I have to adjust back time zone ,will take me days again to adjust. Jet lag my greatest dilemna

          Anyway just to tell everyone im back
          And with good memories what had happened in America with so called
          ' liha diplomacy `
          Its like a complete dream almost come true – almost

          Happy to play with scot and many hardbat players in California a few days ago in liha on my last leg of the whole U.S. trip and showed them what I mean by--- Filipino rule. ------- table tennis the aerobic style.! And they seems to like it very much and seemingly make a lot of sense to them

          -----------

          scot !!! plan how you are going to get here philippines , to film to play and to indulge so that we join hands to help the vintage table tennis community worldwide to grow bigger and to educate. - im serious! and let other join you. oskie is open to this . accommodation to his international university hotel is free.

          Be back

          diplomatically yours,

          pete

        • bjgmann615
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
            --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@...> wrote:

            > It was great! We had many of the old gang there: Al, Hermann, Bob, Bruce, the Twin Dragons, Andy, Matt, all the drop ins at ICC, and lots of great rallies. Peter beat us up pretty bad. It was great to see Al back to his old form and playing so well, without back pain.
            >
            > Lobo

            Dang, I miss all of you guys. And I'm really glad to hear that Al is back again; last year when I talked with him at the Bud Light he was doing freelance work and kinda out of pong for a while. I hope you have some videos of the play.

            P.S.: Being No. 2 in liha, as far as anybody knows, ain't all that bad.

            Berndt

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2010
              my observation :

              hope you guys will adopt liha play using' easy serve easy return rules' and apply it somewhere

              from the viewpoint i see in the states. you guys using international rule in sandpaper is like practicing a form of martial art which supposedly is a slower form of martial art called "tai chi" with great aerobical movement and stroke follow thru and yet what i saw is appllying fast karate movement on a 'tai chi' martial art
              ( as a figure of speech ) oh my god.!!! I see no no relaxation !. i saw people even drilling using liha. thats all odd for me to look at.

              i thought you guys wish to revive the old chop and classical table tennis whos one is to chop and one is to drive and so on and so forth , even back and forth with great rallies --------- thats where ESER rule will somehow guarantee, it will end up that way.

              scot -you think it over and you fly over here Philippines to film the underground liha play here.

              unfortunately with only a few of us who was able to flew over there to join , and we are just class c players (in philippine standard) . how i wish richard gonzales our liha king ------was there.

              pete

            • Albert Papp
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 5, 2010
                Hi Pete,

                Thank you very much for visiting and bringing Liha to the Bay Area! It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person, and to play Liha with you. You are indeed a diplomat and an ambassador! I am particularly interested by the Easy Serve, Easy Return (ESER) rule which leads to so many more rallies by its very definition. And even more importantly, as you pointed out, ESER makes the game so nicely balanced between offense and defense. The capable Lihador must be skilled in both halves of this game. That's outstanding!

                I'm glad to hear that you got home safely, and I look forward to the next time that we meet, wherever it might be.

                Al

                On Aug 2, 2010, at 2:53 PM, peter wrote:

                > Gentlemen ,
                >
                > Im now back in the Philippines,
                >
                > Such a physical torture ! just for travel and just for pingpong
                > Glad and good I have other agenda on my trip , my other side of business in order to hit 3 birds with one stone. Hoping to be able to get my expense back which im sure will down the road
                >
                > Now I cannot sleep well . its now 5 am
                > So I have to adjust back time zone ,will take me days again to adjust. Jet lag my greatest dilemna
                >
                > Anyway just to tell everyone im back
                > And with good memories what had happened in America with so called
                > ' liha diplomacy `
                > Its like a complete dream almost come true – almost
                >
                > Happy to play with scot and many hardbat players in California a few days ago in liha on my last leg of the whole U.S. trip and showed them what I mean by--- Filipino rule. ------- table tennis the aerobic style.! And they seems to like it very much and seemingly make a lot of sense to them
                >
                > -----------
                >
                > scot !!! plan how you are going to get here philippines , to film to play and to indulge so that we join hands to help the vintage table tennis community worldwide to grow bigger and to educate. - im serious! and let other join you. oskie is open to this . accommodation to his international university hotel is free.
                >
                > Be back
                >
                > diplomatically yours,
                >
                > pete
                >
                > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > It was great! We had many of the old gang there: Al, Hermann, Bob, Bruce, the Twin Dragons, Andy, Matt, all the drop ins at ICC, and lots of great rallies. Peter beat us up pretty bad. It was great to see Al back to his old form and playing so well, without back pain.
                > >
                > > Lobo
              • Albert Papp
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 5, 2010
                  On Aug 3, 2010, at 4:32 PM, bjgmann615 wrote:

                  > Dang, I miss all of you guys. And I'm really glad to hear that Al is back again; last year when I talked with him at the Bud Light he was doing freelance work and kinda out of pong for a while. I hope you have some videos of the play.
                  >
                  > P.S.: Being No. 2 in liha, as far as anybody knows, ain't all that bad.
                  >
                  > Berndt

                  Hi Berndt,

                  I am, indeed, still doing freelance work and have not yet really returned to the ping pong scene. I'm feeling better from my back injury (finally!) and will try to get playing a bit more in the coming months, in preparation to travel to the US Nationals this December.

                  I played liha with Pete and the local gang last Friday and last Saturday. While I ended up quite sore (the Liha game keeps you moving plenty). I recovered pretty well though, which is encouraging. The way I played was a bit like 0 to 100 in no time flat -- perhaps a slight easing into the activity over a couple weeks would have been more prudent. I went pretty much immediately into full-on no-restraints play and had a great time, and I lived to tell about it!

                  I sincerely hope that we'll be able to meet up in Las Vegas for the US Nationals this year, along with many of the gang, whether old members or new.

                  Al
                • peter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 5, 2010
                    --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, Albert Papp <al@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Pete,
                    >
                    > Thank you very much for visiting and bringing Liha to the Bay Area!
                    = what a journey

                    aIt was a pleasure to finally meet you in person, and to play Liha with you.
                    = i was hoping a lot more to turns out ahahahah
                    i wasnt able to get yo in deter greys castle i was there. haha

                    You are indeed a diplomat and an ambassador!
                    = i want to ------i know the essence of the game why it should be like that

                    I am particularly interested by the Easy Serve, Easy Return (ESER) rule which leads to so many more rallies by its very definition.
                    = yap , im not saying its completely correct
                    it was formerlly designed for "underground betting "not tournament
                    so time is not the essense even if you play till midnight. nothing is perfect in this world.
                    any minor adjustment can yet be done.

                    how i wish we can make an international organization about this and brainstorm on this . get together everyone . since young and old , liha can be played , its like the tai chi in martial art. its so "harmless "

                    And even more importantly, as you pointed out, ESER makes the game so nicely balanced between offense and defense.
                    = yap it eventually gets into that, observe the old lihadors youtube very well how 2 of our liha king plays.

                    The capable Lihador must be skilled in both halves of this game. That's outstanding!
                    = usually.

                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    all i see in the states unfortunately is somebody who is to mimick the new sponge game, using liha ---- oh boy. diregard chop and the old ways. im not saying its totally wrong.

                    but im saying i thought you guys would like to go to the old so called : dick miles wonderful strokes of the vintage game. aerobically and seemingly dance like a butterfly thing,like a ballet dancer with wonderful follow through stroke. . we must separate our liha out from the sponge momentum, even your hardbat has that tendency to lean more on sponge momentum oh boy!

                    larry hodges forehand a good momentum when striking forehand i must say , with the hip and the good pick up timing ---like a dancer. if there is a good chopper of his opponent im sure it will be fun to watch. haha

                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    > I'm glad to hear that you got home safely, and I look forward to the next time that we meet, wherever it might be.

                    = yes , it was a long way but worth it
                    it does enlightened me ------ im sure so does the crowd there.

                    i need the email address of the 2 twin brothers we went to that basketball court , i forgot to ask them . they are very nice guys

                    best,
                    pete

                    pete

                    > Al
                    >

                    > On Aug 2, 2010, at 2:53 PM, peter wrote:
                    >

                    > > Gentlemen ,
                    > >
                    > > Im now back in the Philippines,
                    > >
                    > > Such a physical torture ! just for travel and just for pingpong
                    > > Glad and good I have other agenda on my trip , my other side of business in order to hit 3 birds with one stone. Hoping to be able to get my expense back which im sure will down the road
                    > >
                    > > Now I cannot sleep well . its now 5 am
                    > > So I have to adjust back time zone ,will take me days again to adjust. Jet lag my greatest dilemna
                    > >
                    > > Anyway just to tell everyone im back
                    > > And with good memories what had happened in America with so called
                    > > ' liha diplomacy `
                    > > Its like a complete dream almost come true – almost
                    > >
                    > > Happy to play with scot and many hardbat players in California a few days ago in liha on my last leg of the whole U.S. trip and showed them what I mean by--- Filipino rule. ------- table tennis the aerobic style.! And they seems to like it very much and seemingly make a lot of sense to them
                    > >
                    > > -----------
                    > >
                    > > scot !!! plan how you are going to get here philippines , to film to play and to indulge so that we join hands to help the vintage table tennis community worldwide to grow bigger and to educate. - im serious! and let other join you. oskie is open to this . accommodation to his international university hotel is free.
                    > >
                    > > Be back
                    > >
                    > > diplomatically yours,
                    > >
                    > > pete
                    > >
                    > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > It was great! We had many of the old gang there: Al, Hermann, Bob, Bruce, the Twin Dragons, Andy, Matt, all the drop ins at ICC, and lots of great rallies. Peter beat us up pretty bad. It was great to see Al back to his old form and playing so well, without back pain.
                    > > >
                    > > > Lobo

                  • bjgmann615
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 5, 2010
                      --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, Albert Papp <al@...> wrote:

                      > On Aug 3, 2010, at 4:32 PM, bjgmann615 wrote:
                      >
                      > > Dang, I miss all of you guys. And I'm really glad to hear that Al is back again; last year when I talked with him at the Bud Light he was doing freelance work and kinda out of pong for a while. I hope you have some videos of the play.
                      > >
                      > > P.S.: Being No. 2 in liha, as far as anybody knows, ain't all that bad.
                      > >
                      > > Berndt
                      >
                      > Hi Berndt,
                      >
                      > I am, indeed, still doing freelance work and have not yet really returned to the ping pong scene. I'm feeling better from my back injury (finally!) and will try to get playing a bit more in the coming months, in preparation to travel to the US Nationals this December.
                      >
                      > I played liha with Pete and the local gang last Friday and last Saturday. While I ended up quite sore (the Liha game keeps you moving plenty). I recovered pretty well though, which is encouraging. The way I played was a bit like 0 to 100 in no time flat -- perhaps a slight easing into the activity over a couple weeks would have been more prudent. I went pretty much immediately into full-on no-restraints play and had a great time, and I lived to tell about it!
                      >
                      > I sincerely hope that we'll be able to meet up in Las Vegas for the US Nationals this year, along with many of the gang, whether old members or new.
                      >
                      > Al

                      Hi Al,

                      I'm glad your back is in sufficiently good shape to play liha, which, as I have seen, though not in person, does seem pretty strenuous. Living to tell about it is better yet.

                      Though Tuscon is only about 400 miles from Vegas, I'm not sure I'll have the disposable income to make it this year, either as spectator or participant, as my nephew, with whom I am presently living, has both pick-up truck and medical problems, which I am helping him out with as best I can. But rest assured Vegas and the good old times are still very much on my mind and I'd love to be a part of another Nationals, again whether as participant (perhaps with a style police confounding two-handed backhand and forehand, as I have a condition called benign essential tremor, which makes one-handed shots problematic.) Matt Seeburger, who played Scott almost to a standstill last year, is an inspiration for the possibility of a two-handed game.

                      Berndt