Re: expanding association

  • Francis L
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010

      Hi Peter,

      I'm the president of the french hardbat association, Hardbat France. We try to develop hardbat in France, mainly by increasing the number of events with the TT clubs. We also have our website (100 to 200 visitors [IP] per day), and created the French Hardbat Ranking. We have some projects, one will take place in May, in which french top players will participate.

      There's also an English hardbat association, called HEATT, which was created in summer 2009 : http://www.tabletennistalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2103

      Francis.

    • Neven Duzevic
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
        it`s nice to hear that i have neibours in europe. Here in Craotia, i meat only two person with completly hardbat blade in last 3 years!

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
          I know hardbat players in Germany, especially around Berlin, Hambourg
          and Dortmund. Some of them play hardbat permanently.

          --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, Neven Duzevic <nduzevic@...> wrote:

          > it`s nice to hear that i have neibours in europe. Here in Craotia, i
          meat only two person with completly hardbat blade in last 3 years!
        • Boneman
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
            Thus far, aside from the folks I've "met" here, I've only come across two other fellows that swings hardbats full time. Like myself, 99% of their games are against sponge players.

            I have played other folks that play hardbat as a "fun" alternative to their much more serious sponge game.

            Still, many do actually fear the hardbat. How many times at a tournament I've heard... "You're playing a HARDBAT? Oh.. great..."

            Those are the folks that seem to have much difficulty with a fast, flat serve.

            Many folks are intrigued by my hardbat playing. Best way to promote is through example.

            That.... and my "bat case" has an 8.5" x 11" graphic on the side... the "Classic Hardbat Table Tennis" from hardbat.com proudly labeled:

            "Don't be a SOFTIE"

            ;-)

            Cheers!

            Larry "Boneman" Bone
            Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA
            80421

            http://www.dingmansbridge.com
          • Neven Duzevic
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
              Don`t be softy, sounds well and make me smile, be hard like a bat!

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
                I've heard that back then, they called it softbat rather than hardbat. Presumably because the now 'hardbats' followed racket types that made the short pimpled rubber bat appear soft in comparison. I think Helen Elliot did so and maybe Aubrey Simons and other well known players (perhaps all of them from that era) but I know several old timers who play in Bournemouth (UK)who instinctively refer to their Barna bats as softbats, even today. So maybe we should all become 'softies' therefore?

                David Hughes

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
                  > I've heard that back then, they called it softbat rather than hardbat. Presumably because the now 'hardbats' followed racket types that made the short pimpled rubber bat appear soft in comparison. I think Helen Elliot did so and maybe Aubrey Simons and other well known players (perhaps all of them from that era) but I know several old timers who play in Bournemouth (UK)who instinctively refer to their Barna bats as softbats, even today. So maybe we should all become 'softies' therefore?
                  >
                  > David Hughes

                  I'll be darned.... well, I suppose it's all "relative". I wonder what they would have called the modern sponge bats... had they come across them.

                  I think pursuant to our rules, etc., I shall continue to refer to mine as an hardbat. After all... relative to the majority of bats out there, it's pretty doggone hard.

                  Cheers!

                  Larry "Boneman" Bone
                  Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA
                  80421
                • Bruce Robinson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010

                    Maybe the reference terms should be:

                    Deceptive Pong-a game built upon deceiving one’s opponent

                    Athletic Pong-a sport of skill

                    Just like golf is a “game” and tennis, baseball, basketball, etc are sports.

                    Now that ought to get the blood going!

                    Actually, I prefer “PONG”.

                    Bruce

                    Bruce P. Robinson

                  • wturber
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
                      A google search came up with over 3 million results for "baseball game" and over 4 million results for "basketball game." "Golf game" had about 1.5 million hits

                      Call 'em what you want. They are all sports as well as games.
                    • Bruce Robinson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010

                        Hand eye coordination and a moving ball are how I differentiate “game” and “sport”.  Then, too, there are the very specialized skill sports like swimming, motocross, snowboarding. I would not, by any means, say these athletes are not great athletes like golfers CAN be great athletes…………….mostly, it is a fun joke.

                        Bruce P. Robinson

                      • wturber
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2010
                          > Hand eye coordination and a moving ball are how I differentiate "game" and
                          > "sport". Then, too, there are the very specialized skill sports like
                          > swimming, motocross, snowboarding. I would not, by any means, say these
                          > athletes are not great athletes like golfers CAN be great
                          > athletes......mostly, it is a fun joke.

                          Yep. The discussion mostly just causes us to reveal our own predispositions, preferences and prejudices. We can always find an argument to fit the conclusion we want on this topic. :)

                          Jay
                        • Neven Duzevic
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 2, 2010
                            maybe i become e poet!

                            KING KONG PLAYS (PING)-PONG (with hardbat)

                          • Neven Duzevic
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 2, 2010
                              By the way, in past the chess was a sport, now is a game, and i think it`s better definition. In my way of thinking the PICCADO is in same class like a golf - no fast starts, no jumping, just hand and eye. This is the difference between sport and game.
                              In sport all body is in move, in game is not. What to do with car races, and bobbing in that case?

                            • bobpalgon
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 2, 2010
                                ... or on any other topic!

                                Bob

                                --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "wturber" <jay@...> wrote:

                                > > Hand eye coordination and a moving ball are how I differentiate "game" and
                                > > "sport". Then, too, there are the very specialized skill sports like
                                > > swimming, motocross, snowboarding. I would not, by any means, say these
                                > > athletes are not great athletes like golfers CAN be great
                                > > athletes......mostly, it is a fun joke.
                                >

                                > Yep. The discussion mostly just causes us to reveal our own predispositions, preferences and prejudices. We can always find an argument to fit the conclusion we want on this topic. :)
                                >
                                > Jay

                              • wturber
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 2, 2010
                                  True - but when the categories are so poorly defined it is so much more likely. The question, "What is a sport?" is a lot like "What is art?"

                                  Jay

                                  > ... or on any other topic!
                                  >
                                  > Bob
                                  >
                                  > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "wturber" <jay@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > Hand eye coordination and a moving ball are how I differentiate "game" and
                                  > > > "sport". Then, too, there are the very specialized skill sports like
                                  > > > swimming, motocross, snowboarding. I would not, by any means, say these
                                  > > > athletes are not great athletes like golfers CAN be great
                                  > > > athletes......mostly, it is a fun joke.
                                  > >

                                  > > Yep. The discussion mostly just causes us to reveal our own predispositions, preferences and prejudices. We can always find an argument to fit the conclusion we want on this topic. :)
                                  > >
                                  > > Jay

                                • Neven Duzevic
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 3, 2010
                                    I agree 100% cose when i am playing guitar for exmple what i am? artist or clown?  I dont` know exactly, is it yoj for me and people, is it art or kitch?
                                    I feel beter when i call my blues playing and singing art!

                                    True - but when the categories are so poorly defined it is so much more likely. The question, "What is a sport?" is a lot like "What is art?"

                                    Jay

                                    > ... or on any other topic!
                                    >
                                    > Bob
                                    >
                                    > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups .com, "wturber" <jay@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Hand eye coordination and a moving ball are how I differentiate "game" and
                                    > > > "sport". Then, too, there are the very specialized skill sports like
                                    > > > swimming, motocross, snowboarding. I would not, by any means, say these
                                    > > > athletes are not great athletes like golfers CAN be great
                                    > > > athletes.... ..mostly, it is a fun joke.
                                    > >

                                    > > Yep. The discussion mostly just causes us to reveal our own predispositions, preferences and prejudices. We can always find an argument to fit the conclusion we want on this topic. :)
                                    > >
                                    > > Jay

                                  • Boneman
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 3, 2010
                                      No see... this is where MOOD can enter the picture. If I'm in an "artistic" mood... I will sit down the the Classical Guitar and play something by Bach or something similar.... If I'm up for clowing around... I'll play "Dead Skunk In The Middle of the Road".

                                      Or... like Marty used to do... play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" hitting the ball back and forth with correctly "tuned" pots and pans.

                                      I would LOVE to have seen THAT!!!!!

                                      Cheers!

                                      Larry "Boneman" Bone
                                      Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA
                                      80421
                                    • Giorno
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010

                                        so there is this hardbat association in america
                                        i also ran across hardbat association in france

                                        In Italy too! We are going to start with some regional teams championship and than expand it to all the other italian's regions to make it national... and some regional/national tournaments too of course.

                                        --
                                        Lorenzo aka Giorno
                                        giorno @ gmail dot com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                                          that is also great in italy !

                                          how about"liha"? hehe

                                          peter

                                          --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, Giorno <giorno@...> wrote:

                                          > > so there is this hardbat association in america
                                          > > i also ran across hardbat association in france
                                          > >
                                          > In Italy too! We are going to start with some regional teams championship
                                          > and than expand it to all the other italian's regions to make it national...
                                          > and some regional/national tournaments too of course.
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Lorenzo aka Giorno
                                          > giorno @ gmail dot com
                                          > Tennis-Tavolo.com

                                        • kusangloob
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                                            hello sir francis of france
                                            so there is also hardbat association in england?

                                            peter

                                            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                                            --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis L" <francisdef54@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Peter,
                                            >
                                            > I'm the president of the french hardbat association, Hardbat France. We
                                            > try to develop hardbat in France, mainly by increasing the number of
                                            > events with the TT clubs. We also have our website (100 to 200 visitors
                                            > [IP] per day), and created the French Hardbat Ranking. We have some
                                            > projects, one will take place in May, in which french top players will
                                            > participate.
                                            >
                                            > There's also an English hardbat association, called HEATT, which was
                                            > created in summer 2009 :
                                            > http://www.tabletennistalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2103
                                            > <http://www.tabletennistalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2103>
                                            >
                                            > Francis.

                                          • Francis L
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                                              Hi Peter,

                                              Yes, it was created during last summer. I don't know if it's very active
                                              yet, but I know they have some projects, like creating the English
                                              Hardbat rules, especially the ones concerning the material (rubbers,
                                              blades).

                                              --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "kusangloob" <kusangloob@...> wrote:

                                              > hello sir francis of france
                                              > so there is also hardbat association in england?
                                              >
                                              > peter
                                              >
                                              > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                              >
                                              > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis L" francisdef54@ wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > > Hi Peter,
                                              > >
                                              > > I'm the president of the french hardbat association, Hardbat France.
                                              We
                                              > > try to develop hardbat in France, mainly by increasing the number of
                                              > > events with the TT clubs. We also have our website (100 to 200
                                              visitors
                                              > > [IP] per day), and created the French Hardbat Ranking. We have some
                                              > > projects, one will take place in May, in which french top players
                                              will
                                              > > participate.
                                              > >
                                              > > There's also an English hardbat association, called HEATT, which was
                                              > > created in summer 2009 :
                                              > > http://www.tabletennistalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2103
                                              > > <http://www.tabletennistalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2103>
                                              > >
                                              > > Francis.
                                            • kusangloob
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 7, 2010
                                                so its kind of new
                                                the hardbat thing for some countries.

                                                down the road we will embraced the hardbat thing here in philippines , more so when we are abel to go to U.S. for such tournament. adn i wish to talk about it there. can we be helped someway?

                                                so there will be hardbat and liha association

                                                let us just keep our fingers cross that many international grouping will follow.

                                                then we will have : international hardbat and liha competition
                                                or even pro tour

                                                the kind of play not as fast as olympic sponge game ! becasue not everybody is always young!!! right ? - why not this idea. ?

                                                pete

                                                --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis L" <francisdef54@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Peter,
                                                >
                                                > Yes, it was created during last summer. I don't know if it's very active
                                                > yet, but I know they have some projects, like creating the English
                                                > Hardbat rules, especially the ones concerning the material (rubbers,
                                                > blades).
                                                >
                                                > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "kusangloob" <kusangloob@> wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > hello sir francis of france
                                                > > so there is also hardbat association in england?
                                                > >
                                                > > peter
                                                > >
                                                > > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis L" francisdef54@ wrote:
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Hi Peter,
                                                > > >
                                                > > > I'm the president of the french hardbat association, Hardbat France.
                                                > We
                                                > > > try to develop hardbat in France, mainly by increasing the number of
                                                > > > events with the TT clubs. We also have our website (100 to 200
                                                > visitors
                                                > > > [IP] per day), and created the French Hardbat Ranking. We have some
                                                > > > projects, one will take place in May, in which french top players
                                                > will
                                                > > > participate.
                                                > > >
                                                > > > There's also an English hardbat association, called HEATT, which was
                                                > > > created in summer 2009 :
                                                > > > http://www.tabletennistalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2103
                                                > > > <http://www.tabletennistalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2103>
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Francis.

                                              • Tandy Goldberg
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 7, 2010
                                                  [submitted to Yahoo HB Group site]

                                                  Being experiencially gifted has nothing to do with it, Mr Cua. The
                                                  modern game is a total sham.

                                                  Oh, did I hurt somebody by expessing what is alive in me?

                                                  With unconditional love,

                                                  Clinton Charlatang
                                                  Promo
                                                  Hardbat International