Budlight Hardbat Classic tournament Results

  • shoppingdave1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      I belive something was not right in the Saturday night match in the finals of the Bar league final. We all know Jack Baker won easily. But I spoke with his opponent after the Match. I forget his name. He told me he thought he was being spotted 10 points. Instead, when he walks out on to the court, Jack is spotted 5 points. That's a 15 point swing. How could this happen? Is it because the promoters heard a comment from someone that he wouldn't wear their garb? Of course I can't confirm this, but how could the clearly better player be given an advantage of 5 points if they are both unknown. And then wouldn't it have been appropriate to give Wayne a spot of 5 to 8 points in the final since he was coming out of the basement bracket against a Budlight bar player who is suppose to be better.

      I think both the bar player and the basement player have had tournament experience of some sort. Whether many years ago or more recently, both of them should have been reclassified into the pro bracket with an estimated rating. You don't return topspin balls with beautiful low chops the way Jack Baker did without some good training. The only true basement player was the young man wearing all white against Wayne in the basement final on Saturday night. That kid was a novice all the way and he deserved the right to represent the basement players as it was intended to be.

      I personally hope they don't ever air this thing. How bad will Jeff the pro representitive feel when all of tv land see him get beat badly by a supposedly basement player? I talked to Jeff and he seemed like a very nice man. But he just didn't play well at all. Trevor didn't have a chance either. The promoters definitely got a mix of players to their liking, but the matches themselves were anti climatic and for the most part boring. There were a few good long chop and hit rallies in the final, but the outcome was never in doubt.
      So if I withdraw from the USATT, and wait ten years, can I play in the basement or bar bracket? Will 2600 level players drop to 2100 by next year to go for the money? Only time will tell.

      Thanks, Dave