Marty Reisman's video

  • Francis LEIBENGUTH
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
    • bobpalgon
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
        Speaking of Monsieur Reisman, I recently learned that he is scheduled
        to play a Hardbat Challenge Match tomorrow, August 3, 2007 at a
        community center in the Lower East Side neighborhood of New York City
        -- the neighborhood from whence Marty hails. Marty will be playing
        against a gentleman by the name of Kazayuki Yokoyama, whose current
        USATT tournament rating is 2563.

        You can the poster advertising the match at the following link:
        http://public.fotki.com/HardbatTT/marty-reisman-to-pl/

        Apparently, Mr. Yokoyama accepted Marty's Classic Hardbat--Leyland to
        Leyland terms for the encounter ... which will be filmed for the
        documentary on Reisman now in process.

        Since Marty today is only a 2000-rated player, and is playing a highly
        rated player less than half his age -- who, in addition, is practicing
        daily with a Hock, I imagine Marty will be up against more than he
        expects -- even with both using classical equipment.

        But as a longtime, loyal devotee of the classic game, I wouldn't be
        the least bit surprised to see Marty beat this fellow -- seeing as the
        mechanically-advantageous sponge paddle is removed from the equation.

        Robert Palgon

        --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis LEIBENGUTH"
        <francisdef54@...> wrote:

        > Made during the US Open :
        >
        > http://www.veoh.com/videos/v877967f8htQfzt
        > <http://www.veoh.com/videos/v877967f8htQfzt>

      • gnopgnipster
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
          Kazayuki Yokoyama is an excellent defensive player who can also hit.
          It will be nice if he starts playing in hardbat events. I wish I
          could be in New York to watch the match, or if someone videotapes it
          that they post it on the web.

          Good luck to both players.

          Alberto Prieto
          www.valortabletennis.com

          --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "bobpalgon" <robertpalgon@...> wrote:

          > Speaking of Monsieur Reisman, I recently learned that he is
          scheduled
          > to play a Hardbat Challenge Match tomorrow, August 3, 2007 at a
          > community center in the Lower East Side neighborhood of New York
          City
          > -- the neighborhood from whence Marty hails. Marty will be playing
          > against a gentleman by the name of Kazayuki Yokoyama, whose current
          > USATT tournament rating is 2563.
          >
          > You can the poster advertising the match at the following link:
          > http://public.fotki.com/HardbatTT/marty-reisman-to-pl/
          >
          > Apparently, Mr. Yokoyama accepted Marty's Classic Hardbat--Leyland
          > Leyland terms for the encounter ... which will be filmed for the
          > documentary on Reisman now in process.
          >
          > Since Marty today is only a 2000-rated player, and is playing a
          highly
          > rated player less than half his age -- who, in addition, is
          practicing
          > daily with a Hock, I imagine Marty will be up against more than he
          > expects -- even with both using classical equipment.
          >
          > But as a longtime, loyal devotee of the classic game, I wouldn't be
          > the least bit surprised to see Marty beat this fellow -- seeing as
          the
          > mechanically-advantageous sponge paddle is removed from the
          equation.

          > Robert Palgon
          >
          > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis LEIBENGUTH"
          > <francisdef54@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Made during the US Open :
          > >
          > > http://www.veoh.com/videos/v877967f8htQfzt
          > > <http://www.veoh.com/videos/v877967f8htQfzt>

        • peter
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
            Roberto,

            I spoke with da Reis about this match.
            He thinks he can take the guy.
            You wanna bet $5, I will take da needle, waddaya say???, huh??
            Let me know,
            Your amigo, Redro, (related many, many generations back to Atila the Hun).

            > From: "bobpalgon" <robertpalgon@...>
            > Date: 2007/08/02 Thu PM 02:58:52 EST
            > To: hardbat@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [hardbat] Re: Marty Reisman's video
            >
            > Speaking of Monsieur Reisman, I recently learned that he is scheduled
            > to play a Hardbat Challenge Match tomorrow, August 3, 2007 at a
            > community center in the Lower East Side neighborhood of New York City
            > -- the neighborhood from whence Marty hails. Marty will be playing
            > against a gentleman by the name of Kazayuki Yokoyama, whose current
            > USATT tournament rating is 2563.
            >
            > You can the poster advertising the match at the following link:
            > http://public.fotki.com/HardbatTT/marty-reisman-to-pl/
            >
            > Apparently, Mr. Yokoyama accepted Marty's Classic Hardbat--Leyland to
            > Leyland terms for the encounter ... which will be filmed for the
            > documentary on Reisman now in process.
            >
            > Since Marty today is only a 2000-rated player, and is playing a highly
            > rated player less than half his age -- who, in addition, is practicing
            > daily with a Hock, I imagine Marty will be up against more than he
            > expects -- even with both using classical equipment.
            >
            > But as a longtime, loyal devotee of the classic game, I wouldn't be
            > the least bit surprised to see Marty beat this fellow -- seeing as the
            > mechanically-advantageous sponge paddle is removed from the equation.
            >
            > Robert Palgon
            >
            > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis LEIBENGUTH"
            > <francisdef54@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Made during the US Open :
            > >
            > > http://www.veoh.com/videos/v877967f8htQfzt
            > > <http://www.veoh.com/videos/v877967f8htQfzt>

          • wallyswoods
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
              Marty was certainly driving well and won that match against a good
              chopper, Alberto Prieto. I wish the video had the shot where Alberto
              hit a counterdrive that sailed high and hit Marty on the forehead
              between his eyes. Marty went down and the spectators began counting
              him out...one, two, three, four..etc. But he was up before the count
              of ten and continued to play well.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
                I have pictures of that shot!

                --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "wallyswoods" <wallyswoods@...> wrote:

                > Marty was certainly driving well and won that match against a good
                > chopper, Alberto Prieto. I wish the video had the shot where Alberto
                > hit a counterdrive that sailed high and hit Marty on the forehead
                > between his eyes. Marty went down and the spectators began counting
                > him out...one, two, three, four..etc. But he was up before the count
                > of ten and continued to play well.
                >
                > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis LEIBENGUTH" <francisdef54@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > Made during the US Open :
                > >
                > > http://www.veoh.com/videos/v877967f8htQfzt
                > > <http://www.veoh.com/videos/v877967f8htQfzt>

              • Robert Palgon
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Pedro,

                  I understand the odds-makers in Las Vegas are asking those who want to bet
                  on Marty to put up five dollars in order to win two, so how can I bet
                  against him?

                  Kidding aside though, I spoke with the promoter of this challenge event, Ben
                  Smyth, who is really excited -- and absolutely overwhelmed -- by the
                  response this match is getting from the general public and the media.

                  For a community center venue that has only seventy seats, Ben admits he has
                  already sold eighty tickets. And he is very concerned that he will have to
                  turn away people because he has had lots and lots of calls from those
                  interested in buying tickets Friday night, "at the gate". He hopes that
                  customers will bear with him when they learn that all that remains is
                  standing room. All told, he expects to fill the venue to its capacity --
                  with standing room -- of 200 admissions.

                  Ben tells me he was truly taken aback at the amount of buzz this event has
                  generated. He says that many of his callers told him that they were
                  planning to bring Marty's book, "The Money Player", hoping Marty would
                  autograph it. Others told him, "I saw him play so many years ago, I have to
                  bring my kids."

                  In addition to the public's response, the media is sending several
                  representatives, including one from the NY Times, and several Internet
                  reporters, as well as film makers who will be capturing the match.

                  Here, FYI, are a couple of links to Ben and Marty's magnificent adventure:

                  http://www.139norfolk.com
                  http://www.pumatalk.com/blog
                  http://www.urbandaddy.com/articles/566/grand_opening_new_york_city_nyc_les_leisure

                  I asked Ben if there was any chance he could move his live cam from his Pong
                  storefront to the community center venue so that we could view the match
                  online. He thought it probably wouldn't be possible, but that he would seek
                  to pass on the progress of the match on some other, near real-time basis,
                  somehow through our hardbat site.

                  All I can say is, in the face of all this, Marty -- better not let us
                  down!!

                  Bob Palgon

                  >From: peter <ptmarkus@...>
                  >To: <hardbat@yahoogroups.com>
                  >CC: <ptmarkus@...>
                  >Subject: Re: [hardbat] Re: Marty Reisman's video
                  >Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:54:27 -0500
                  >
                  >Roberto,
                  >
                  >I spoke with da Reis about this match.
                  >He thinks he can take the guy.
                  >You wanna bet $5, I will take da needle, waddaya say???, huh??
                  >Let me know,
                  >Your amigo, Redro, (related many, many generations back to Atila the Hun).
                  > >
                  > > From: "bobpalgon" <robertpalgon@...>
                  > > Date: 2007/08/02 Thu PM 02:58:52 EST
                  > > To: hardbat@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Subject: [hardbat] Re: Marty Reisman's video
                  > >
                  > > Speaking of Monsieur Reisman, I recently learned that he is scheduled
                  > > to play a Hardbat Challenge Match tomorrow, August 3, 2007 at a
                  > > community center in the Lower East Side neighborhood of New York City
                  > > -- the neighborhood from whence Marty hails. Marty will be playing
                  > > against a gentleman by the name of Kazayuki Yokoyama, whose current
                  > > USATT tournament rating is 2563.
                  > >
                  > > You can the poster advertising the match at the following link:
                  > > http://public.fotki.com/HardbatTT/marty-reisman-to-pl/
                  > >
                  > > Apparently, Mr. Yokoyama accepted Marty's Classic Hardbat--Leyland to
                  > > Leyland terms for the encounter ... which will be filmed for the
                  > > documentary on Reisman now in process.
                  > >
                  > > Since Marty today is only a 2000-rated player, and is playing a highly
                  > > rated player less than half his age -- who, in addition, is practicing
                  > > daily with a Hock, I imagine Marty will be up against more than he
                  > > expects -- even with both using classical equipment.
                  > >
                  > > But as a longtime, loyal devotee of the classic game, I wouldn't be
                  > > the least bit surprised to see Marty beat this fellow -- seeing as the
                  > > mechanically-advantageous sponge paddle is removed from the equation.
                  > >
                  > > Robert Palgon
                  > >
                  > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis LEIBENGUTH"
                  > > <francisdef54@...> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Made during the US Open :