Sacramento Hardbat Fest reminder!

  • Reverend Gordon
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2007
      The annual Sacramento Hardbat Fest will be held THIS SATURDAY, MAY 5th,
      at Didion middle school in Sacramento (the usual spot in the south
      area). We start shortly after 2pm, and we have the facility until
      7pm. The entry fee is only $5.

      We expect a good turnout of Sacramento players, as well as (hopefully)
      the usual mix of hardbatters from neighboring cities and townships. Ji
      and I will of course be there, and of course James Therriault will be
      there as well. We guarantee LOTS OF PLAY, LOTS OF FUN, and an
      opportunity to eat LOTS OF FOOD afterwards! :)

      See you there!!!!
      Lobo
    • hl_tt
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2007
        How did you guys do in the Senior Tournament (squishy) in the
        morning in Sacramento before the Hardbat Fest in the afternoon in
        the same place?
        Hermann

        --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Reverend Gordon" <sgordon@...>
        wrote:

        > The annual Sacramento Hardbat Fest will be held THIS SATURDAY, MAY
        5th,
        > at Didion middle school in Sacramento (the usual spot in the south
        > area). We start shortly after 2pm, and we have the facility until
        > 7pm. The entry fee is only $5.
        >
        > We expect a good turnout of Sacramento players, as well as
        (hopefully)
        > the usual mix of hardbatters from neighboring cities and
        townships. Ji
        > and I will of course be there, and of course James Therriault will
        be
        > there as well. We guarantee LOTS OF PLAY, LOTS OF FUN, and an
        > opportunity to eat LOTS OF FOOD afterwards! :)
        >
        > See you there!!!!
        > Lobo

      • Reverend Gordon
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2007
          The Sacramento Hardbat Fest was an exhausting good time.
          Everyone played about 8 matches against a variety of players.
          There were 14 entries, with 3 from the bay area and the
          rest from around Sacramento. Pretty much everyone played
          the entire 4 hours.

          First place was a 3-way tie between J.Z. (Jian Zhuang - his
          first time playing hardbat!), Bob Palgon, and myself.
          There were several other first time hardbatters, notably
          Suhir Shende and Nathan Seician (George's son). Both
          acquitted themselves quite admirably. Suhir garnered a
          couple of wins against higher-rated players - he took to
          the hardbat quite impressively. Nathan may have had the
          most spectacular shot of the day against me, stumbling to
          his wide backhand side to hit an amazing kill on the run
          ... the kid has no fear.

          JZ had such a good time that he decided to enter the
          hardbat event in the upcoming Sacramento Spring Open.
          He's also putting together a hardbat of his own that he
          can use in hardbat events. Further proof of what I've
          always said... you can't predict who will find themselves
          drawn to hardbat. I wouldn't have guessed JZ's style to
          be compatible, but he really enjoyed it (and certainly
          was a formidable opponent).

          Eight of us ate a huge seafood meal at Hong Kong Wok
          afterwards - Ji and I are still enjoying the leftover lobster.

          Lobo
        • bobpalgon
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2007
            The 2007 Sacramento Senior Games – Table Tennis Tournament was held
            this past Saturday, May 5th with many of the usual suspects
            participating – as well as some new faces. In all, I think there were
            perhaps 25 to 30 competitors.

            Those that I can recall by name include Hackie Honda, Walter
            Witkowski, Henry Koong, Stephen Liu, Vladimir Sharg, David Meade,
            Glenn Johnson, Byng Forsberg, Mike and Dan Marinas, Becky and me. (By
            way of truth in advertising, Becky only hit for a few minutes just
            with me.)

            Also, I should not overlook the number of wives that participated,
            many with very handsome-looking games. (Not to say that Becky's
            wasn't / isn't.)

            Because the Games were structured, both in men's and women's Singles,
            Doubles, as well as in Mixed Doubles by five-year age groupings
            (50-54, 55-59, etc.) nearly all participants were guaranteed to medal
            – either Gold, Silver, or Bronze.

            I think that in my age-group Singles – which group, I'll never tell –
            I had only two other opponents. In other groups there were but two
            contestants so James Therriault came up with practice matches to make
            sure that every one got to play as many matches as the nine tables
            could sustain for the 3+ hours we played.

            In one such practice match, a gentleman older than I – an accursed
            lefty – took the first game against me and threatened to take me to
            the cleaners, spots removed. I managed to overcome, however, but this
            circumstance may provide a rough measure, for those not present, of
            the level of play encountered.

            In my Singles Final, Henry Koong fought valiantly but could not
            overcome his unfamiliarity with my hardbat. All the same, he had a
            lovely game, and hit some wonderful shots. I would come back again
            next year just to let him – and the lefty – have another crack at
            beating me.

            In the Doubles, I teamed up with David Meade, and managed to take away
            the Gold although we may have won by default because I don't think we
            had any actual competitors signed-up in our age group. We did however
            beat four practice doubles teams who were gunning for us.

            I did not encounter any person who didn't have a good time at the
            games. Nor did I see one who left without a medal.

            Go to http://public.fotki.com/HardbatTT/sacsrgames-TT and click on the
            slideshow button to get a flavor of the event.

            Bob Palgon

            --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Reverend Gordon" <sgordon@...> wrote:

            > The Sacramento Hardbat Fest was an exhausting good time.
            > Everyone played about 8 matches against a variety of players.
            > There were 14 entries, with 3 from the bay area and the
            > rest from around Sacramento. Pretty much everyone played
            > the entire 4 hours.
            >
            > First place was a 3-way tie between J.Z. (Jian Zhuang - his
            > first time playing hardbat!), Bob Palgon, and myself.
            > There were several other first time hardbatters, notably
            > Suhir Shende and Nathan Seician (George's son). Both
            > acquitted themselves quite admirably. Suhir garnered a
            > couple of wins against higher-rated players - he took to
            > the hardbat quite impressively. Nathan may have had the
            > most spectacular shot of the day against me, stumbling to
            > his wide backhand side to hit an amazing kill on the run
            > ... the kid has no fear.
            >
            > JZ had such a good time that he decided to enter the
            > hardbat event in the upcoming Sacramento Spring Open.
            > He's also putting together a hardbat of his own that he
            > can use in hardbat events. Further proof of what I've
            > always said... you can't predict who will find themselves
            > drawn to hardbat. I wouldn't have guessed JZ's style to
            > be compatible, but he really enjoyed it (and certainly
            > was a formidable opponent).
            >
            > Eight of us ate a huge seafood meal at Hong Kong Wok
            > afterwards - Ji and I are still enjoying the leftover lobster.
            >
            > Lobo

          • Reverend Gordon
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8, 2007
              That "accursed lefty" was probably Dave Manhart. He's tough
              as nails - I think I lost to him in a round robin as recently
              as a couple of years ago. When he's on, the ball seems to be
              going everywhere... he's very tricky!

              Back when I was playing chess seriously, I used to play
              against his brother Guy Manhart - they looked quite a lot
              alike. Guy was about an 1800 chess player up until the day
              he died, about 3 or 4 years ago. Dave said that Guy was
              also a very good table tennis player, but he didn't have any
              interest in coming to the club.

              Scott