TT and Classical Music

  • hl_tt
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      From a discussion on about.com:

      Heavyspin:
      I had a music class where the teacher claimed that 50's and 60's
      rock n' roll baselines were the most brain damaging stuff ever
      written. Also, I think of hardbat as the Baroque era of table tennis.

      TTviolinist:
      >>>Also, I think of hardbat as the Baroque era of table tennis.

      Well said! I'm playing the solo of Vivaldi's four Seasons this week
      with orchestra, sometimes, my brain floats into TT mode during
      rehearsal and I find more similarities between the movements for
      playing violin and playing TT, in both cases, I'm my own worst
      enemy, but i try to manage!

      I think the reason why your teacher may feel that the baselines are
      brain damaging is mostly due to the volume which most of the music
      is played, especially live, it's been proven that people suffer
      permanent damage to their ears after a live rock concert.

      Lance

      theoldduffer:
      <Also, I think of hardbat as the Baroque era of table tennis.>

      I never went baroque when I played during the hardbat era but after
      the sponge era I have definately felt the financial woes of the
      Equipment Junkie:)
      tOD

      Scott Gordon:
      I think of hardbat as the Baroque era of table tennis.

      Actually, the proper analogies are as follows:

      Vellum [1890-1904] - Baroque (Bach, Telemann, Vivaldi)
      Wood [1904-1910] - Early Classical (Mozart, Haydn)
      Sandpaper/Cork [1910-1925] - Classical (Beethoven, Schubert)
      Hardbat [1926-1952] - Romantic (Chopin, Tchaikovsky)
      Sponge [1952-1980] - Neo-Classical (Stravinsky, Bartok)
      Combo [1980-1985] - Atonal (Cage, Schoenberg)
      Glue [1985-current] - Minimalist (Reich, Glass)

      Hopefully, this will be a valuable reference for those trying to
      select a style of play :)

      Scott

      bes(bsalter5)
      I'm a Vivaldi and Bach fan - who sells vellum?

      bes

      Hermann (tone deaf)
    • Francis LEIBENGUTH
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007

        Scott Gordon wrote :

        "Actually, the proper analogies are as follows:

        Vellum [1890-1904] - Baroque (Bach, Telemann, Vivaldi)
        Wood [1904-1910] - Early Classical (Mozart, Haydn)
        Sandpaper/Cork [1910-1925] - Classical (Beethoven, Schubert)
        Hardbat [1926-1952] - Romantic (Chopin, Tchaikovsky)
        Sponge [1952-1980] - Neo-Classical (Stravinsky, Bartok)
        Combo [1980-1985] - Atonal (Cage, Schoenberg)
        Glue [1985-current] - Minimalist (Reich, Glass)"

        Scott, you forgot String [1870-1890] - Medieval music (Dufay, Desprez, Gegorian Chant)

        ;)