New hardbat blades

  • Francis LEIBENGUTH
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      The british table tennis blades manufacturer YLT is going to market 2
      new models especially made for hardbat : the Magyar
      (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2730/themagyar6ys.jpg) and the
      Master Craftsman
      (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2923/themastercraftsman4rw.jpg).
      It seems that the Master Craftsman is already sold, at about $110, and
      that both will also be sold with Reisman rubbers. Maybe Mark
      Johnson could give us more informations.
    • Howard Blum
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        Neither link works!

        On 1/2/06, Francis LEIBENGUTH <francisdef54@...> wrote:
        The british table tennis blades manufacturer YLT is going to market 2
        new models especially made for hardbat : the Magyar
        (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2730/themagyar6ys.jpg) and the
        Master Craftsman
        (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2923/themastercraftsman4rw.jpg).
        It seems that the Master Craftsman is already sold, at about $110, and
        that both will also be sold with Reisman rubbers. Maybe Mark
        Johnson could give us more informations.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Al Papp
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          Try these:

          http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2730/themagyar6ys.jpg
          and
          http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2923/themastercraftsman4rw.jpg

          Al

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Yes, the ")" and the "." shouldn't have been included in the links.

            --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, Al Papp <al@m...> wrote:

            > Try these:
            >
            > http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2730/themagyar6ys.jpg
            > and
            > http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2923/themastercraftsman4rw.jpg
            >
            > Al
            >

            > On 02.01.2006, at 22:29, Howard Blum wrote:
            >
            > > Neither link works!
            > >

            > > On 1/2/06, Francis LEIBENGUTH <francisdef54@y...> wrote: The
            > > british table tennis blades manufacturer YLT is going to market 2
            > > new models especially made for hardbat : the Magyar
            > > (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2730/themagyar6ys.jpg) and
            the
            > > Master Craftsman

            (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2923/themastercraftsman4rw.jpg).
            > > It seems that the Master Craftsman is already sold, at about
            $110, and
            > > that both will also be sold with Reisman rubbers. Maybe Mark
            > > Johnson could give us more informations.
            > >

            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > >
            > > Visit your group "hardbat" on the web.

            Service .

            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > >
            > > Visit your group "hardbat" on the web.

            Service.

          • wallyswoods
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              Interesting. I have a Hock and a MacCrossen that have handles that
              look identical to the new blades. I wonder if the playing part of
              the blades is a good as the old Hocks and MacCrossens? I recently
              bought some vintage ping pong paddles on ebay for about $5 each, put
              new Leyland rubber on them, and they play pretty good.

              -- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Francis LEIBENGUTH"
              <francisdef54@y...> wrote:

              > Yes, the ")" and the "." shouldn't have been included in the links.
              >

              > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, Al Papp <al@m...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Try these:
              > >
              > > http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2730/themagyar6ys.jpg
              > > and
              > > http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2923/themastercraftsman4rw.jpg
              > >
              > > Al
              > >

              > > On 02.01.2006, at 22:29, Howard Blum wrote:
              > >
              > > > Neither link works!
              > > >

              > > > On 1/2/06, Francis LEIBENGUTH <francisdef54@y...> wrote: The
              > > > british table tennis blades manufacturer YLT is going to market
              2
              > > > new models especially made for hardbat : the Magyar
              > > > (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2730/themagyar6ys.jpg) and
              > the
              > > > Master Craftsman
              > > >
              > (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2923/themastercraftsman4rw.jpg).
              > > > It seems that the Master Craftsman is already sold, at about
              > $110, and
              > > > that both will also be sold with Reisman rubbers. Maybe Mark
              > > > Johnson could give us more informations.
              > > >

              > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              > > >
              > > > Visit your group "hardbat" on the web.

              > Service .
              > > >

              > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              > > >
              > > > Visit your group "hardbat" on the web.

              > Service.

            • Francis LEIBENGUTH
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
                If you want informations about these blades, just e-mail to Mark
                Bellamy at YLT : mark@...
                I have a YLT blade, the Kameo Kombination, the finish is perfect, and
                it's also a beautiful blade. So I can imagine that it will be the same
                with the hardbat ones.

                <francisdef54@y...> wrote:

                > The british table tennis blades manufacturer YLT is going to market
                2
                > new models especially made for hardbat : the Magyar
                > (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2730/themagyar6ys.jpg) and the
                > Master Craftsman
                > (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2923/themastercraftsman4rw.jpg).
                > It seems that the Master Craftsman is already sold, at about $110,
                and
                > that both will also be sold with Reisman rubbers. Maybe Mark
                > Johnson could give us more informations.

              • Tandy Goldberg
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2006
                  Media sanitized

                  2005 Nationals: Gusikoff Cup
                  Championship Matches
                  Las Vegas, Nevada

                  All things considered, the 2005 Gusikoff Cup was a
                  success. A red-letter day for Mr. Steve Beger.
                  Because of time constraints (no Sunday events),
                  limited prize money and low energy levels , we were
                  only able to accommodate a few upper-level Classic
                  Hardbat players . Alas! It was pitiable that we
                  couldn't get Messrs. Loc Ngo, Jim R. (from Texas) and
                  Chui into the fray.

                  Flagship MATCHES
                  First Round

                  Mr. Courtney Roberts/Mr. Steve Burger
                  Friday, 12/16/05, 9 pm

                  1st game
                  Mr. Roberts 21, 15

                  2nd game
                  Mr. Berger 21, 13

                  3rd game
                  Mr. Berger 21, 12

                  Mr. Roberts game was diminished because he didn't have
                  his bat. Nevertheless, he hit some spectacular
                  shots using his chopping, hitting, rolling, flicking,
                  and lobbing skills.

                  When he heard that he would be playing Mr. Roberts,
                  Mr. Berger was ecstatic--he would finally have a
                  chance to play him. The two renowned Hardbatters
                  had never played a Hardbat match before this event.
                  Mr. Roberts established himself as distinguished
                  Hardbatter when he won the coveted 2004 US National
                  Hardbat championship, defeating Mr. Loc Ngo.

                  The free tables having been taken, Messrs. Roberts
                  and Berger had to search for a table. The table
                  used, in the middle of a long line of tables, was no
                  good for the spectators. Consequently, their match
                  did not draw a big crowd.

                  Both players exhibited a calm coolness throughout the
                  match. Mr. Burger saying after the match that Mr.
                  Roberts was a wonderful man and a pleasure to play
                  with. "He's reall a gentleman when plays; he has no
                  attitude."

                  Mr. Roberts said that he enjoyed the match a lot.
                  ''Steve has very good hands and placement with his
                  shots...I wish Bob [Gusikoff] the best and a speedy
                  recovery."

                  GUSIKOFF CUP FINALS
                  2005 US CLOSED
                  LAS VEGAS
                  December 17, 2005

                  Mrs. Lily Yip vs. Mr. Steve Berger.

                  There is more to life than increasing its speed.
                  ---Mohandas Gandhi

                  About 20 minutes before the contest, I importuned
                  Mrs. Yip to enter into the competition, Mrs. Yip
                  saying, "I really don't want to do this. (She'd been
                  on her feet all day playing matches taking care of
                  business) But allays my burgeoning fear that she won't
                  play saying, "But my man says it's a worthy cause."
                  She says that Barry, her husband, helps with the big
                  decisions, that his father respected Bob Gusikoff as a
                  player and a promoter of The Game. Mrs. Yip
                  saying,''You know intelligence and a good sense of
                  humor are the foundations of most healthy
                  relationships, and Barry has both." Mr. Datel, from
                  my personal experience, is one of the best for
                  bouncing new ideas with. His humor is cutting-edge,
                  very subtle. (As a latent comedian, I know about such
                  things.) I admonished her that Mr. Berger was warming
                  up with the improve Mr. Al Paap. (Mr. Berger defeated
                  Mrs. Yip in the Open Hardbat Finals, three straight,
                  in the 2000 US Open.) I admonished her to
                  warm-up, but except for hitting a few balls on the
                  ball machine at her booth, she doesn't. With a
                  benign,condescending lilt she says, ''I will beat
                  him.'' And she would have, if she had *not* been her
                  usually always-accommodating self, agreeing to make
                  it a three out of five when Mr. Berger was about to
                  come off second best in the second game in an
                  ageed-upon-before-the match two out of three.

                  Photographer, distinguished table tennis official,
                  humanitarian Mal Anderson snaps pics throughout the
                  match.

                  1st GAME, Mrs. Yip
                  Time: 3:39 pm

                  18-14
                  19-14
                  20-14
                  20-15
                  20-16
                  21-16

                  2and GAME, Mrs. Yip

                  Late in this game,sensing the end is near--Mr.
                  Anderson packing up, about to leave--Mr. Berger,
                  still spirited, loath to throw in the towel, asks Mrs.
                  Yip, "Do you want to make this a three out of five?"
                  She agrees. Mr. Anderson settles back down, a
                  harbinger of the aesthetically pleasing-to-watch
                  Classic Hardbat rallies to come forthwith.

                  The mental is just as important as the physical per
                  post-modern kinesiology. Mr. Berger turned a certain
                  lose into a win by maintaining his equanimity, going
                  outward, using deduction (the writing was on the
                  wall--why was Mr. Anderson leaving?) and using his
                  communication skills.

                  4-1
                  4-2
                  5-2
                  5-3
                  6-3
                  7-3
                  9-3
                  10-3
                  11-3
                  15-8
                  15-9
                  17-10
                  18-11
                  21-15

                  3rd GAME, Mr. Berger
                  Phenomenal exchanges.
                  This is Classic Hardbat table tennis. A spectator
                  sport that is many times less toxic and many times
                  less phallocentric*** and more fun to play. (I
                  dismiss the media's and the tournament director's
                  lack of interest in our Game as a typical
                  manifestation of cultural imperialism, the oppression
                  of a classic culture by another with a
                  sell-that-expensive-rubber-and-noisome speed
                  glue-at-any-cost ethos.) Mrs. Yip seemingly hitting as
                  hard as she can, and Mr. Berger miraculously--I've
                  never seen him perform like this!-- shagging her balls
                  down and making perfect chop returns: low, deep, very
                  close to the net. Textbook returns. Mr. Grey saying,
                  ''People have peak experience through physical
                  activities and Steve may be having one."

                  Mr. Berger hitting hard, and Mrs. Yip,with total
                  aplomb, punch blocking right back at him with her
                  backhand ..Mr. Anderson opining after a long point ,
                  "You just don't get this kind of electricity with
                  sponge."

                  4-3 Berger
                  7-9 Yip
                  8-9
                  9-9
                  10-9 Berger
                  11-9
                  12-9
                  14-11
                  14-12
                  14-14
                  15-14 Berger
                  16-14
                  17-15
                  17-16
                  20-17 Berger
                  20-18
                  21-18

                  4th GAME, Mr. Berger

                  Fifteen avid Hardbat fans are intensely watching this
                  spectacular show. Past Woman's World's Champion
                  Tobye Sommers (birth name,Thall), Peter Marcus, and,
                  renowned concert pianist Dexter Grey sat in seats on
                  the side on the last table of a line of tables. It was
                  a great vantage point for the spectators....Alas!
                  Mr. Paap, Rev. Gordon and Mr. Marty Reisman missed
                  the Gusikoff Cup Final because of lack of
                  communication or matches to be played.

                  2-6 Berger
                  2-7
                  3-7
                  3-11
                  5-12
                  7-12
                  8-12
                  9-13
                  10-13
                  10-14
                  11-15
                  11-17
                  11-18
                  12-18
                  12-19
                  13-20
                  14-20
                  14-21

                  5th GAME, Mr. Berger

                  7-6 Yip
                  7-7
                  Mr. Anderson saying, "She's tired."
                  10-9
                  10-10
                  11-11
                  11-12 Berger
                  11-13
                  11-14
                  11-15
                  11-16 Berger
                  12-16 (edge)
                  12-17
                  13-17
                  13-18
                  14-18
                  14-19
                  15-19
                  15-20
                  15-21

                  Mr. Berger, elated, turning to the crowd, "You have
                  just watched the best match of the US Closed."

                  Astute call, Mr. Berger.

                  Mr. Grey noted: "Lily won the first two games
                  handily, but seemed to falter. She was tired--visibly
                  tired. Nonetheless, Steve played a great game, and won
                  in the end by taking the offensive. Great strategy on
                  Steve's part."

                  N.B.: Mr. Berger had lost earlier in this tournament
                  three straight to Mrs. Yip in the Semi-finals of the
                  Open Harddbat event.

                  Unfortunately, posterity will never get to see much
                  less probably never hear of this match. No video
                  camera was available. Earlier in the week, I talked
                  with USA TABLE TENNIS MAGAZINE'S Editor Larry Hodges
                  about his playing in the Gusikoff Cup. He nixed on
                  it. Didn't want to know anything about it or Mr.
                  Gusikoff's condition. As a "fellow Hardbatter" he
                  gave me no suggestion on how to make it a bigger
                  success. Au contraire, I put him into a pique when I
                  tried to help him-- "The Mahatma of Spin Doctoring and
                  Ad Hominen* Attack"-- with his grammar. (Tut, tut, Mr.
                  Hodges, I am surprised at you. A pronoun that
                  appears before a gerund should be in the possessive
                  case. Gotcha! I got two points on that one, and
                  another five for trying to get you to calm down. Don't
                  you have any self-control, sir? Did you notice how I
                  lowered my voice as you raised yours? I learned this
                  very useful de-escalation technique in a Defensive
                  Tactics course at my alma mater, Santa Monica College.
                  The instructor, an LAPD sergeant, had the highest
                  rating for de-escalating every intense life/death
                  situations. Interesting man. I picked his brain... I
                  could be alternatively concise****... I bid you
                  Godspeed.)

                  Because he had used up all his film on the Woman's
                  Semi-Final and Final matches, Mr. Grey's video camera
                  was useless.

                  Lower division matches:

                  Mr. Dean Norman, cartoonist, beat Mr. Ed Ball handily
                  three straight. Don't let Mr. Norman's 1300 rating
                  fool you, he plays very well indeed....Where there any
                  others lower-division matches played?

                  Thanks to the largesse of Mrs. Yip, Ms. Gail, Rev.
                  Scott Gordon, The Greys, Messrs. Steve Berger,
                  Courtney Roberts, Al Paap, Tim Wright, Herman
                  Luechinger, Barry Datel, Ray Field (a regular at Bob
                  Gusikoff's Hollywood club) , Dean Johnson, and Dean
                  Norman, Mr. Gusikoff's Christmas was a much more happy
                  one. All tolled, we raised $350.

                  The cash in take being so small, Mr. Berger, Mr.
                  Roberts and Mrs. Yip gave the $200 cash prizes to Mr.
                  Gusikoff. Mr. Gusikoff thanks you.

                  The Paddle Palace, The Table Tennis Pioneers, and
                  Butterfly's largesse of the $300 in gift certificates
                  and Reed's Ginger Brew and Newgy's munificent cash
                  donation of $200 made this humanitarian effort
                  possible...Thank you, Ms. Denna England....Messrs.
                  Chris Reed and Joseph Newgarden also donated 8 cases
                  of sodas and a case of Laslo Belac books,
                  respectively. Thank you! Thank you, Mr. Mitch
                  Rothfleiseh (and his right-hand man Yves), Mr. Bowie
                  Martin (and Crystal, Chris and Greg), Michael
                  Bochenski, Mrs. Sue Horfrost, and Mr. Less Sayre.

                  ***************************************
                  Explanation of words used and why they were used.
                  Leisure reading.

                  *AD HOMINEN : "2. marked by an attack on an
                  opponent's character rather than by answering to the
                  contentions made."
                  (Mr. Hodges, a straight "A" student, with a minor in
                  chemistry and a Master's in Journalism is an enigma.
                  In an interview during this tournament, Mr. Mal
                  Anderson, past president of the USATT for a decade,
                  and world-class play during the Hardbat era, said
                  that
                  Mr. Hodges is --to put it very lightly--a very inward
                  looking person and "should not be in charge of
                  anything." I agree... Let's go down a truncated
                  memory lane. Starting in 1998 after being kicked out
                  of a local club for writing critical letters about the
                  reckless use of speed glue and other matters at said
                  club (vide: <alphatt.com/latimes.htm> for picture of
                  gluing at club, and article by Editor Hodges
                  geographic placed by said picture), I would show Mr.
                  Hodges his blatant pro-sponge biases in our USA
                  Table Tennis Magazine or ask him why he didn't help
                  his colleague, "The Tip Top Cowboy" (pseudonym used to
                  appease the opinion monopolizers who put pressure on
                  our beloved Web site moderator) with his
                  uncontrolled-indoor-regluing fetish at his West Los
                  Angeles USATT Club and, instead of refuting my
                  assessments or answering my questions, he would attack
                  me personally (obfuscate the facts, be careless with
                  the truth, too ), saying that I was a problem person,
                  a "celebrated complainer," about the re-gluing, a
                  person nobody wanted to train with when I visited his
                  Maryland Club in 1996, a "crackpot," my grammar was
                  way off, etc. Yikes! People with any kind of
                  up-to-date professional training don't do this kind of
                  thing. It is very dangerous. Mr. Hodge's has used
                  his position and skills at sophistry to try to cow me
                  into feeling that I am a guy not up to snuff to make
                  any kind of argument or suggestion. Many people
                  allow themselves to be intimidated by the 24-carrot
                  vocabulary of the intellectual. In all too many
                  situations, intellectual power gives a man the posture
                  he needs to snow the other fellow.. In post-modern
                  kinesiology the instructor does about anything to
                  elicit duologue from the student even if the student's
                  premise is way off the wall, for communication skills
                  are of paramount importance for success and peer
                  counseling has proven to be one of the best therapies
                  for getting the alternatively schooled on the the
                  right track. But, Coach/Editor Hodges, and The Tip
                  Top Cowboys have an ax to grind--sell the glue-game
                  and expensive sponge rubber, maintain the "atomistic"
                  climate and pro-sponge hegemony in West LA...I bent
                  their noses when I tried to help them with the
                  re-gluing issue. The thought, too, of making their
                  program democratic and egalitarian equates to lower
                  profits and less control...Alas! It's been,
                  uh...ousted for "writing all those letters" in
                  '98--over five long years now. All for exercising my
                  First Amendment Rights...After all is said and done,
                  my insights on indoor re-gluing have been
                  vindicated--it will be banned in 2007. Table tennis
                  is my primary socializing agent. I'd like to start
                  playing in the West LA Club, it's very close to my
                  house. I'm looking for a miracle worker...Just
                  imagine how boring it would be if we were all the
                  same. My idea of a perfect world is one in which we
                  appreciate our differences. Short, tall; Democrat,
                  Republican; gay, straight; , melanin
                  impoverished*****, Person of Color******; Hardbat
                  Revolutionary, Pro-Sponge Propagandist. A world that
                  we are all equal, but definitely not the same.)

                  [Author's note: Tip Top is a toxic bicycle glue that
                  The Tip Top Cowboy still sells at the club. Wouldn't
                  it be good for everybody's health and the table tennis
                  economy if he chose to us a USATT-approved glue?]

                  *** "PHALLOCENTRIC: The belief that male generative
                  power is, and should be, the driving force of
                  society...." (THE OFFICIAL POLITICALLY CORRECT
                  DICTIONARY AND HANDBOOK, p. 57) Men are usually much
                  stronger than women anatomically, consequently a man
                  can usually deliver much more spin than a woman. "He
                  who controls spin, controls the game." (Mr. Dan
                  Seemiller) Because the spin that can be generated
                  with a Hardbat is negligible compared to that of a
                  sponge racket, especially with re-gluing, women have a
                  much better chance of prevailing in Hardbat
                  competitions. Why hasn't Editor Hodges told you, the
                  reader, about this?

                  ****"ALTERNATIVELY CONCISE. Verbose, long-winded.
                  Example: Bill Clinton has a well-deserved reputation
                  for delivering alternatively concise speeches."

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com