Re: 2004 U.S. Open

  • js2100
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "js2100" <js2100@p...> wrote:

      > Hardbat Doubles - Final: Steve Berger/Tahl Leibovitz d. Ashu
      > Jain/John Jarema, 19,-13,17.

      U2000 Hardbat - Final: John Oros d. Kristopher Sabas, 15,18.

      Under 1500 Hardbat - Final RR: 1st Berndt Mann, 3-0; 2nd Richard
      Jeffers, 2-1; 3rd Alex Lehocky, 1-2; 4th Jim Weisbecker, 0-3.

      http://www.usatt.org/events/2004usopen/results.shtml
    • js2100
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
        Over 40 Hardbat - Final: Steve Berger d. Tim Boggan, 6,13; SF: Berger
        d. Bruce Liu, 9,17; Boggan d. Simon Jacobsen, -13,14,10.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2004
          Under 2200 - Final: Carlos Chiu d. Ty Hoff, 6,5,8; SF: Chiu d. Jeff
          Huang, 6,-4,5,7; Hoff d. Spenser Lam, -7,7,9,-4,9.

          http://www.usatt.org/events/2004usopen/results.shtml
        • Bruce H. Liu
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 4, 2004
            My 1890 doubles partner Ming Zhang beat Ty Hoff in the over 30 event and
            went ahead won the U1900 champion. Ming also made the 8's in U2050.

            This is by far the best US Open I've been. (this is my 4th one) The ITTF
            events ended last night. This is the last day for we regular Joes. Hardbat
            Open will start in 45 minutes and I am fortunately grouped with the formidable
            Ty Hoff.

            /Bruce

            --- js2100 <js2100@...> wrote:

            > Under 2200 - Final: Carlos Chiu d. Ty Hoff, 6,5,8; SF: Chiu d. Jeff
            > Huang, 6,-4,5,7; Hoff d. Spenser Lam, -7,7,9,-4,9.
            >
            > http://www.usatt.org/events/2004usopen/results.shtml

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • js2100
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 4, 2004
              Hardbat Singles - Final: Lily Yip d. Ty Hoff, 16,16,22; SF: Yip d.
              Steve Berger, 14,10,17; Hoff d. Alexis Perez, 17,-18,16,11.

              http://www.usatt.org/events/2004usopen/results.shtml
            • hl_tt
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6, 2004
                --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "js2100" <js2100@p...> wrote:

                > Hardbat Singles - Final: Lily Yip d. Ty Hoff, 16,16,22; SF: Yip d.
                > Steve Berger, 14,10,17; Hoff d. Alexis Perez, 17,-18,16,11.
                >
                > http://www.usatt.org/events/2004usopen/results.shtml

                There was some shaky umpiring at the PRO tournament, but this took
                the cake in hardbat:
                I think it was in the semifinal Steve vs Lilly. Steve's 13-year old
                protege Jake got a yellow card from the umpire for "advising"
                (read "incouraging)" Steve during the match. Some spectators
                suggested Jake have the umpire autograph the card.
                Hermann
              • Bruce H. Liu
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 6, 2004
                  Check out some photos I took at the Open.

                  http://htmlcom.com/movie/html/2004USOpenHardbat.html

                  /Bruce

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Grasshopper
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 6, 2004
                    Hi Bruce,

                    Welcome back, looks like you had a good time at the Open. The photos
                    and match updates have been very nice but let's get down to serious
                    hardbat business, what resturants did you try while in Chicago?

                    Gail the Grasshopper

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 7, 2004
                      --- Grasshopper <grasshopper_28@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Bruce,
                      >
                      > Welcome back, looks like you had a good time at the Open. The photos
                      > and match updates have been very nice but let's get down to serious
                      > hardbat business, what resturants did you try while in Chicago?

                      Thought you would never ask.:-) There are restaurants everywhere.
                      On the first night, Berndt, Hermann, and I went to an Italian
                      restaurant named Buca's right next to the downtown Marriott we
                      stayed. It is a family style Italian restaurant just like Maggiano in
                      San Jose but no refill on dishes. The food was great and server gave
                      more attention to us than Maggiano. We were very hungry. Hermann
                      claimed that he could eat a bear. Both of us did not get to eat lunch
                      or dinner on the flight because of short transfer time. I practically
                      ran from the gate to the connecting flight gate. Both segments only
                      served peanut and drinks. We had mixed green salad, baked ravioli,
                      and pasta. I hoped the baked ravioli the same as the mushroom ravioli
                      al forno in Maggiano but it wasn't. However, it tasted good too.

                      We met quite a few players there. Tahl, the Garbage Man, was there
                      with his wife and friends. Yes, the Garbage Man was saddled - at least
                      that was what he told me. Sean O'Niell was there with Stiga people.
                      Primorac was there, too.

                      There are many restaurants in Navy Pier. Navy Pier is like Pier 39
                      in San Francisco but better. You can consume alcohol in the pier but
                      can't bring it out of the area. There is even a Bubba Gump in the pier.
                      In fact, the restaurant hired a guy dressed just like Forrest Gump in
                      front of the restaurant to entertain customers. That Gump even went
                      to watch some matches in the playing hall. I think Forrest was very
                      impressed by those professional players.

                      The foods and drinks in the playing hall were ridiculously expensive.
                      It cost me $3.25 for a bottle of water while $1.50 outside. USATT did
                      not provided water the first day. There were drinking fountains though.

                      In the second day, we just ate here and there in the Navy Pier separately
                      because we were all busy playing or watching. I think we arrived at
                      Navy Pier at about 8:20 AM and did not go back to Marriott until 10:00 PM.

                      In the third evening, Berndt, Hermann, and I just walked randomly in
                      downtown and ended up eating in a food court which served Italian food.
                      It turned out the food there were great. I had a 9" Big Beef Sandwich
                      and gosh, was it big. Hermann had spaghetti and meat ball and Berndt
                      had pasta. We all liked the food although I suspected that after such a
                      hectic day, we probably would have enjoyed anything edible. The decoration
                      at the place was nice too.

                      Hermann, Berndt, Jake, and Steve went to Buca's again on the fourth night.
                      I did not join them because I had to warm up with my doubles partner Ming.
                      Ming, rated 1890, beat Ty Hoff in Over 30 event that night. Ty had troubles
                      throughout the match handling Ming's spin. Ty did well in his U2200 event
                      though. He lost in the final for the event. Ming and I took taxi to
                      Chinatown for dinner. We met the whole Taiwanese team there. The food was
                      OK but not exceptional.

                      The fifth day was a big day. The ITTF Pro tour concluded that day. Since
                      I didn't have any event that day, I think I watched all matches in the
                      arena. The quarter and semi for Men's doubles were awesome. I don't remember
                      I saw such high level rallies in my three previous US Open. They simply
                      returned "winners" with "winners" and the rally went on and on. It was
                      really breath-taking.

                      My fellow country men Chuan Chih-Yuan and Chiang Peng-Lung made me very
                      proud. They played side-by-side in the arena with Lupulesku and
                      Toshio Tasaki, respectively. Chuan had some troubles in the first game
                      with Lupi's inside out flip but handled him quite well beating Lupi 4:1.
                      Chiang simply crushed the Japanese penholder by serving long all the time.
                      If Toshio attacked, Chiang just countered or blocked his opponent down.
                      If Toshio did not attack, then he was in trouble because Chiang would
                      attack. I almost felt bad for Tasaki Toshio. He was 58 in the world after
                      all.

                      Anyway, the men's final ended at about 9:15 PM. Navy Pier were packed with
                      tens of thousands of people waiting for the fireworks. They blocked the
                      whole area so we did not have bus to go back to the hotel. The fireworks
                      started at 9:30. We decided to watch. The fireworks were great but we were
                      all tired and hungry. After the fireworks, I proposed that we went to
                      a place recommended by my boss who was born in Chicago. It was called
                      Shaw's Crab House. However, for some reason, we couldn't find the place
                      and we were all starving. So, we went to Buca's again. This time, we had
                      Ming, Winston, Tet, Hermann, Berndt, and I. Again, every one enjoyed the
                      food.

                      Sunday was the last day of the tournament. The RR was held at 12 PM. Quite
                      a few defaults. 3 out of 4 groups had one or two defaults. Lily, Alex Perez,
                      Ty Hoff, and Steve Berger advanced from the round robin. The semi started
                      at 3:15 PM. Steve wasn't in good shape. He had trouble moving because of
                      sore muscle and you know what would happen if a chopper doesn't move well.
                      As Hermann said, Steve's student Jake was yellow carded because of illegal
                      coaching. It was very funny though. Steve was beaten by Lily in 3 games.
                      (best of 5 to 21) Ty and Alex had a more competitive match. They played
                      pretty evenly the first three games. However, Alex lost his temper because
                      the umpire asked him to move his arm away and stop stomping his foot. He
                      lost the last game badly and broke his paddle afterwards. He claimed that
                      he would not come back to play again.

                      So, it was the defending champion Lily against former champion Ty in the final.
                      I had all the detail written in the note but could not find it. Anyway, the
                      first two games were pretty lopsided. Lily served fast and long almost every
                      time to Ty's backhand. She got many points in serve. If Ty returned her serve,
                      Lily would punch block the return to Ty's wide forehand corner. She got many
                      points that way. If Ty managed to return that block, then Lily either blocked
                      it again to another corner or simply killed it with her forehand smash.

                      Ty somehow found a way to compete with Lily the third game. He turned up his
                      attack and rallied much better with Lily. The game was tied many times before
                      the deuce. They had some fierce rallied after deuce. Both of them had
                      game points and Lily came through beating Ty 24:22. It was in fact the last
                      match of the tournament. However, still attracted quite a few people.

                      It was around 6:00 PM. Hermann, Berndt, and I took the free trolley back to
                      the hotel. We decided to give Shaw's Crab House another try. It turned out
                      it was only a few blocks away from Marriott. When we arrived, we were told
                      that it was fully booked. In fact, they were over-booked. We would have
                      had no chance to be seated that night. It was OK. We thought. We would
                      just go to another restaurant. It was not OK. It was a Sunday on July 4th.
                      Lots of restaurant closed that night. We walked quite a few blocks. The
                      restaurants we found were either closed or not very good. We were pretty
                      desparate at the point. What kind of city was this? We were hardbat players.
                      We wanted to eat and we wanted to eat now! We ended up eating at the place
                      we went the third night where I had my 9" Big Beef Sandwich. Oh, boy!
                      Was the food great! I had a full slab of rib, one Mai Tai, and one margarita.
                      I had no idea what Hermann and Berndt had whatsoever after the drinks.

                      It was only 9:30 PM when we went back to the hotel. We sat in the hotel
                      lobby and had some drinks. It turned out we had a nice party there. Alan
                      Williams played the piano in the lobby and got lots of applause. Berndt
                      then showed off his piano talent a bit too. When Alan went back to the
                      piano, the big guy from Stiga tipped Alan. I guess the hotel manager
                      wasn't too thrilled about the idea so after a while, the security came
                      and said that they would start playing the music through their stereo.
                      Steve Berger and Wally Green joined us later. Then a couple from Miami
                      joined us. We had great conversation and lots of drinks. It was 1:30 AM
                      in the morning when we got back to our room. Hermann told me I started
                      snoring in 2 minutes.

                      July 5th, almost everybody had left. Hermann and I went for some sightseeing.
                      We took two boat tours, one to the river, the other to the lake. Both rides
                      were wonderful. The architecture of Chicago was fantastic. The tour guide
                      was very knowledgeable and I learned a lot from the tour. Do you know Lake
                      Michigan is about the size of Taiwan? Darn! It is big!

                      Overall, I had great time in Chicago. I would say this is the best US Open
                      I've been. I will definitely go again if the US Open is held in Chicago.

                      /Bruce

                      > Gail the Grasshopper
                      >

                      > --- "Bruce H. Liu" <bliu911@...> wrote:
                      > > Check out some photos I took at the Open.
                      > >
                      > > http://htmlcom.com/movie/html/2004USOpenHardbat.html
                      > >
                      > > /Bruce

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • Reverend Gordon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 7, 2004
                        --- "Bruce H. Liu" <bliu911@y...> wrote:
                        > On the first night, Berndt, Hermann, and I went to an Italian
                        > restaurant named Buca's right next to the downtown Marriott

                        Was the full name "Buca di Beppo?" What you describe sounds
                        exactly like it. If so, it's a family-style chain and there
                        is one in Sacramento. We could help you relive your Chicago
                        experience by having dinner there after the next Sac tournament.
                        It is a fun place for a large group, and while the dishes are
                        inconsistent, many of them are wonderful.

                        There is a great old German restaurant in downtown Chicago
                        (and I mean OLD - over 100 years old) called Berghoff's
                        that I should have mentioned to you. Tons of old world
                        atmosphere, hearty food, and not too expensive.
                        www.berghoff.com

                        Did you get to see Joo Se Hyuk play?

                        Do you think that holding the Hardbat Open on Sunday
                        helped or hurt the event?

                        Rev.
                      • Bruce H. Liu
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 7, 2004
                          --- Reverend Gordon <sgordon@...> wrote:
                          > --- "Bruce H. Liu" <bliu911@y...> wrote:
                          > > On the first night, Berndt, Hermann, and I went to an Italian
                          > > restaurant named Buca's right next to the downtown Marriott
                          >
                          > Was the full name "Buca di Beppo?" What you describe sounds
                          > exactly like it. If so, it's a family-style chain and there
                          > is one in Sacramento. We could help you relive your Chicago
                          > experience by having dinner there after the next Sac tournament.
                          > It is a fun place for a large group, and while the dishes are
                          > inconsistent, many of them are wonderful.

                          It was indeed "Buca di Beppo". I didn't know there is one in such
                          a rural area like Sacramento.:-)

                          > There is a great old German restaurant in downtown Chicago
                          > (and I mean OLD - over 100 years old) called Berghoff's
                          > that I should have mentioned to you. Tons of old world
                          > atmosphere, hearty food, and not too expensive.
                          > www.berghoff.com
                          >
                          > Did you get to see Joo Se Hyuk play?

                          Of course. He was awesome. According to Hermann and Berndt,
                          his match against Chen Weixing was excellent. (7 games?) I watched
                          only a little bit because Chuan and Chiang played in the arena.
                          I did watch Joo played with Ryu in the quarter final. The rallies
                          were great. They seemed to play for real unlike my fellow country
                          men Chuan and Chiang. When Chuan and Chiang played in the quarter
                          final, it was obvious fixed although pretty good but without the
                          intensity.

                          > Do you think that holding the Hardbat Open on Sunday
                          > helped or hurt the event?

                          What hurt the event most was the turnout. Both U1500 and U2000
                          had very few entrants. Over 40 wasn't that great either. I won
                          only two matches to get to the semi. Oh! Did I mention that there
                          were only two doubles teams. Talking about doubles, I almost
                          forgot something. After Steve and Tahl won the doubles, he told
                          me that "I finally had someone who could play doubles." Sorry,
                          Larry.:-)

                          I guess Nationals will be better because of California Hardbat
                          gangs.

                          /Bruce

                          > Rev.

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                        • Larry Hodges
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 8, 2004
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 8, 2004
                              In a message dated 7/8/04 10:02:21 Eastern Daylight Time, larry@... writes:

                              > After Steve and Tahl won the doubles, he told
                              > me that "I finally had someone who could play doubles." Sorry,
                              > Larry.:-)

                              Someday I hope to learn to play doubles!

                              -Larry Hodges

                              ·  2003 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Steve Berger). That
                              makes four years in a row!

                              ·  2002 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Steve Berger).

                              ·  2001 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Steve Berger)

                              ·  2000 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)

                              ·  1999 U.S. Nationals Hardbat Doubles Finalist (with Ty Hoff)

                              ·  1998 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)

                              ·  2003 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Finalist  (with Steve Berger)

                              ·  2002 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Steve Berger). This makes
                              four years in a row!

                              ·  2001 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)

                              ·  2000 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)

                              ·  1999 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)

                              ·  2000 North American Hardbat Doubles Finalist (with Ty Hoff)

                              ·  1989 National Collegiate Doubles Champion (with Christian Lillieroos)

                              ·  1989 Men's Doubles Quarterfinalists, U.S. Nationals (with Ty Hoff)

                              ·  1985 U.S. Open Under 3400 Doubles Champion

                              But, do we have film?
                            • Steve Berger
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 8, 2004
                                Larry and I already have a date for the closed!
                                That is of course if the USATT will let him take his shackles off!
                                Steve
                                > > After Steve and Tahl won the doubles, he told
                                > > me that "I finally had someone who could play doubles." Sorry,
                                > > Larry.:-)
                                >
                                > Someday I hope to learn to play doubles!
                                >
                                > -Larry Hodges
                                >
                                > · 2003 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Steve Berger). That
                                > makes four years in a row!
                                >
                                > · 2002 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Steve Berger).
                                >
                                > · 2001 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Steve Berger)
                                >
                                > · 2000 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)
                                >
                                > · 1999 U.S. Nationals Hardbat Doubles Finalist (with Ty Hoff)
                                >
                                > · 1998 U.S. National Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)
                                >
                                > · 2003 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Finalist (with Steve Berger)
                                >
                                > · 2002 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Steve Berger). This makes
                                > four years in a row!
                                >
                                > · 2001 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)
                                >
                                > · 2000 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)
                                >
                                > · 1999 U.S. Open Hardbat Doubles Champion (with Ty Hoff)
                                >
                                > · 2000 North American Hardbat Doubles Finalist (with Ty Hoff)
                                >
                                > · 1989 National Collegiate Doubles Champion (with Christian Lillieroos)
                                >
                                > · 1989 Men's Doubles Quarterfinalists, U.S. Nationals (with Ty Hoff)
                                >
                                > · 1985 U.S. Open Under 3400 Doubles Champion
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Larry Hodges
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 8, 2004
                                  I won't have to be doing ITTF Coverage at the Nationals, so I should be able
                                  to play at the Nationals.

                                  -Larry Hodges

                                  > Larry and I already have a date for the closed!
                                  > That is of course if the USATT will let him take his shackles off!
                                  > Steve

                                • Bruce H. Liu
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 9, 2004
                                    Hermann and I stayed one more day after the Open and had a tour on the
                                    Architecture Cruise. Most of the pictures here were taken on the boat. Chicago
                                    is a fascinating city. Every building has its own story. For those who did not
                                    take time to see Chicago, you don't know what you'd missed.:-)

                                    /Bruce
                                    http://htmlcom.com/movie/html/2004USOpenArchitecture.html