Parma club innoculation

  • Reverend Gordon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Greetings from Parma, Italy! Al and I introduced the Parmese to the
      world of classic table tennis. The coach was very concerned about
      our using 21-point games, and made it clear that for the evening
      round robin, he would "control" our matches. The club was very
      friendly, and at the end of the night two of the players were
      playing a match using wood bats.

      I plan on going back tonight to play some more. Dare we press our
      luck with the sandbats?

      Lobo
    • Marinas, Michael
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Lobo,

        Try dazzling them with your clipboards instead! ...you did remember to pack your clipboards???? (sounds like you're enjoying yourself anyway...)

        Twin Dragons!

      • Tandy Goldberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
          Dear Lobo,

          The dualism in sport becomes apparent
          when the athlete becomes performer
          first and person second, when the
          extrinsic product (winning) takes
          overwhelming priority over the
          intrinsic process (playing), and when
          the human body becomes an object of
          manipulation and exploitation. (141)
          --_KINESIOLOGY_

          The dominance hierarchy in Southern California at HEY
          YOU BUB COLLEGE (I can't give you the name of the
          school because they and another prominent opinion
          monoplizer on the national level who think
          uncontrolled regluing is normal, will censor this
          message)were very much "concerned" that all the
          students in a class I took, at said school a semester
          ago, use a sponge racket. Being the self-appointed
          frontman for the Hardbat renaissance and best student
          player here, I, of course, tried to get students at
          this famous school, to experiment with the Hardbat
          game.

          To thwart my efforts to proselytize Hardat, the
          instructor* would dole out sponge rackets to each
          student at the beginning of class. Many times when I
          got a student to play hardbat with a racket I brought
          to class, our game was interrupted and the student
          would be asked by said instruct away from my table,
          Are you sure you want to play with a Hardbat? (The
          almost new Martin Kilpatric Hardbat rackets would be
          kept in the cupboard.) The student who played Hardbat
          hardbat with me would often be replaced with a sponge
          player or someone who was not registered in the class.
          Replacement players would often be wielding a 2mm
          zinger sponge racket which is usually a total bore for
          me because it was harder to have a "dialogue" on the
          table.

          Those here, too, wanted to "control" not only what the
          students play with but also the media coverage and
          student participation: our USATT tournaments are
          *never* advertised moreover rarely covered ex post
          facto in our award-winning student paper. A young,
          mega-babe Chinese maiden beat *all* the top California
          players playing with sponge a while back, and our
          celibrated USATT photographer/analyst/writer, who
          *still* hasn't got his uncontrolled-indoor-regluing
          fetish under control, never managed to get her picture
          in our magazine much less our student paper. Hardbat
          International cares.

          FYI: California, if it were a country, would be
          ranked around fifth as an economic power.

          Best wishes,

          Ed Ball
          Chief Instr.
          Hardbat International

          N.B.: I have no animus toward this instructor. Our
          game is controlled by a multi-million dollar industry.
          Many instructors have been put in challenging ethical
          situations to keep their jobs.
          --- Reverend Gordon <sgordon@...> wrote:
          > Greetings from Parma, Italy! Al and I introduced
          > the Parmese to the
          > world of classic table tennis. The coach was very
          > concerned about
          > our using 21-point games, and made it clear that for
          > the evening
          > round robin, he would "control" our matches. The
          > club was very
          > friendly, and at the end of the night two of the
          > players were
          > playing a match using wood bats.
          >
          > I plan on going back tonight to play some more.
          > Dare we press our
          > luck with the sandbats?
          >
          > Lobo

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • John Franicevich
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Marinas, Michael" <marinasm@s...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Lobo,
            >
            > Try dazzling them with your clipboards instead! ...you did
            remember to pack your clipboards???? (sounds like you're enjoying
            yourself anyway...)

            > Twin Dragons!

            Even if they forgot to pack clipboards, I'm sure Parma is large
            enough to have a local stationary store where they can obtain their
            specialized equipment. <g>

            JohnF
          • Marinas, Michael
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
              Hi John F. (Teacher)

              I thought maybe he had custom-made or something...but you're right! ...in fact someone may have a large one at the tournament, which he can probably use but may cramp his style (hee! hee!).

              Hope all is well with you.

              Twin Dragon

              Ciao

            • Reverend Gordon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
                --- "Marinas, Michael" <marinasm@s...> wrote:
                > I thought maybe he had custom-made or something...

                Bite your tongue! Clipboard rules strictly dictate that
                the clipboard must be purchased in an office supply store,
                and must still have the bar code in place.

                Today we played ping pong on the outdoor concrete table
                in the Bacharach castle. It had a solid stainless steel
                net, and a puddle of water on the ground on one side.
                Al was the winner, 2-1. Naturally, we used our sandbats.

                Yesterday, I had my 7th lobotomy in Milan. Details to
                follow, including photo.

                Lobo
              • Bruce H. Liu
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
                  Just the other day when I was in Fry's Electronic store,
                  I passed the stationery section and saw some clipboards.
                  I had some strokes with some of them. Guess what? A passerby
                  gave me a wired look. What a dork! Must have been a sponge
                  player.

                  /Bruce

                  --- Reverend Gordon <sgordon@...> wrote:
                  > --- "Marinas, Michael" <marinasm@s...> wrote:
                  > > I thought maybe he had custom-made or something...
                  >
                  > Bite your tongue! Clipboard rules strictly dictate that
                  > the clipboard must be purchased in an office supply store,
                  > and must still have the bar code in place.
                  >
                  > Today we played ping pong on the outdoor concrete table
                  > in the Bacharach castle. It had a solid stainless steel
                  > net, and a puddle of water on the ground on one side.
                  > Al was the winner, 2-1. Naturally, we used our sandbats.
                  >
                  > Yesterday, I had my 7th lobotomy in Milan. Details to
                  > follow, including photo.
                  >
                  > Lobo

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • al_papp
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > Hi Lobo,
                    >
                    > Try dazzling them with your clipboards instead! ...you did
                    remember to pack your clipboards???? (sounds like you're enjoying
                    yourself anyway...)

                    > Twin Dragons!

                    At the Nordhorn Brettchen Open (which was a really really FUN
                    experience!! -- more on that after the trip is complete) Scott and I
                    met a couple talented young players in their early 20s. We had them
                    hitting with the sandpaper paddles (VERY impressive stuff they were
                    doing, by the way). We told them that they should try out clipboard
                    too and they seemed quite interested. We discussed the possibility
                    of Intercontinental Clipboard pong events in the future.

                    Al