Re: Differences between hardbat rubbers?

  • francisdef54
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
      Tibhar IV L is rather an All+ blade, not very fast and with good
      control. Do you think it would be better to play with a slower one?
      Is it possible to find Dunlop Barna or Hock rubbers yet, especially
      in Europe?

      --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Louie" <red99cat@y...> wrote:
      > I played with Butterfly Orthodox for awhile. It would make a good
      > transition rubber from the sponge to the hardbat game. It is the
      > Butterfly D-13 of the hardrubbers. Another rubber to consider is
      > Andro Classic, which is less bouncy than Butterfly Orthodox. In
      > hardbat, the blade choice is very important. Better not to use an
      > offensive rated blade to start. A defensive to allaround speed
      makes
      > for a better first hardbat racket.
      >
      > -Jeff
      >

      > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "francisdef54" <leibenguth@w...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > > I'm going to make my first "competition" hardbat paddle. I'd like
      > > put two rubbers on a Tibhar IV L blade that I have, but i wonder
      if
      > > there are great differences between hardbat rubbers (speed,
      > > control...). I was thinking of two Butterfly Orthodox, because
      they
      > > are easier to find in France and cheaper. Any advice is
      welcome. ;-)
    • Reverend Gordon
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- "francisdef54" <leibenguth@w...> wrote:
        > Tibhar IV L is rather an All+ blade, not very fast and with good
        > control. Do you think it would be better to play with a slower one?

        It is a matter of preference. The classical wisdom says yes,
        but there are many players using faster blades successfully.
        If you want to develop an all-around game mixing defense and
        offense, it would probably be easier with a slower blade...
        and possibly a larger blade.

        > Is it possible to find Dunlop Barna or Hock rubbers yet, especially
        > in Europe?

        Andro Classic *is* Dunlop Barna (they purchased the formula and
        the rights from Dunlop 5 yrs ago). Hock rubber is hard to find
        in Europe, but we're working on that :) You might be able to
        get the Andro from Scholer and Micke.

        Welcome to the hardbat group! It's great to have someone from
        France. We recently heard of a hardbat event in France... are
        you familiar with any such activity? A few of us will be going
        through Europe this summer to play in some of the hardbat events
        (there are two in Germany - Berlin and Nordhorn - and one in
        England - Glouchester).

        Scott (a.k.a. Lobo)
      • francisdef54
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
          Thanks Scott,
          Andro Classic is easy to order in France, but BTY Orthodox is
          cheaper. Are they similar?
          We had the project to organise a little hardbat tournament near
          Paris, but I fear it won't happen, because we are far from each
          other, we are members of a french TT forum. But I'm happy to announce
          you that we are going to organise one in my club, just with my team
          mates and some friends, it will happen in may, probably the 16th. I
          hope we will be around 16 players. I feel really impatient, because
          this will be my first hardbat competition!
          Maybe I will play in the Nordhorn tournament, it's 500 km far from
          Nancy, where I live, and very close to Holland, where I have a
          friend, in Eindhoven. I will think about it.

          Francis.

          --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Reverend Gordon" <sgordon@s...>
          wrote:
          > --- "francisdef54" <leibenguth@w...> wrote:
          > > Tibhar IV L is rather an All+ blade, not very fast and with good
          > > control. Do you think it would be better to play with a slower
          one?

          > It is a matter of preference. The classical wisdom says yes,
          > but there are many players using faster blades successfully.
          > If you want to develop an all-around game mixing defense and
          > offense, it would probably be easier with a slower blade...
          > and possibly a larger blade.
          >
          > > Is it possible to find Dunlop Barna or Hock rubbers yet,
          especially
          > > in Europe?
          >
          > Andro Classic *is* Dunlop Barna (they purchased the formula and
          > the rights from Dunlop 5 yrs ago). Hock rubber is hard to find
          > in Europe, but we're working on that :) You might be able to
          > get the Andro from Scholer and Micke.
          >
          > Welcome to the hardbat group! It's great to have someone from
          > France. We recently heard of a hardbat event in France... are
          > you familiar with any such activity? A few of us will be going
          > through Europe this summer to play in some of the hardbat events
          > (there are two in Germany - Berlin and Nordhorn - and one in
          > England - Glouchester).
          >
          > Scott (a.k.a. Lobo)
        • Jeff Louie
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
            Andro Classic is slower and less spinny than BTY Orthodox. Both have
            a cloth backing, which make them easy to remove and reglue on another
            racket.

            Glad to hear that there are hardbat players in France.

            wrote:
            > Thanks Scott,
            > Andro Classic is easy to order in France, but BTY Orthodox is
            > cheaper. Are they similar?
            > We had the project to organise a little hardbat tournament near
            > Paris, but I fear it won't happen, because we are far from each
            > other, we are members of a french TT forum. But I'm happy to
            announce
            > you that we are going to organise one in my club, just with my team
            > mates and some friends, it will happen in may, probably the 16th. I
            > hope we will be around 16 players. I feel really impatient, because
            > this will be my first hardbat competition!
            > Maybe I will play in the Nordhorn tournament, it's 500 km far from
            > Nancy, where I live, and very close to Holland, where I have a
            > friend, in Eindhoven. I will think about it.
            >
            > Francis.
            >

            > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Reverend Gordon" <sgordon@s...>
            > wrote:
            > > --- "francisdef54" <leibenguth@w...> wrote:
            > > > Tibhar IV L is rather an All+ blade, not very fast and with
            good
            > > > control. Do you think it would be better to play with a slower
            > one?
            > >
            > > It is a matter of preference. The classical wisdom says yes,
            > > but there are many players using faster blades successfully.
            > > If you want to develop an all-around game mixing defense and
            > > offense, it would probably be easier with a slower blade...
            > > and possibly a larger blade.
            > >
            > > > Is it possible to find Dunlop Barna or Hock rubbers yet,
            > especially
            > > > in Europe?
            > >
            > > Andro Classic *is* Dunlop Barna (they purchased the formula and
            > > the rights from Dunlop 5 yrs ago). Hock rubber is hard to find
            > > in Europe, but we're working on that :) You might be able to
            > > get the Andro from Scholer and Micke.
            > >
            > > Welcome to the hardbat group! It's great to have someone from
            > > France. We recently heard of a hardbat event in France... are
            > > you familiar with any such activity? A few of us will be going
            > > through Europe this summer to play in some of the hardbat events
            > > (there are two in Germany - Berlin and Nordhorn - and one in
            > > England - Glouchester).
            > >
            > > Scott (a.k.a. Lobo)
          • Al Papp
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
              On Apr 1, 2004, at 2:50 PM, francisdef54 wrote:

              > Thanks Scott,
              > Andro Classic is easy to order in France, but BTY Orthodox is
              > cheaper. Are they similar?
              > We had the project to organise a little hardbat tournament near
              > Paris, but I fear it won't happen, because we are far from each
              > other, we are members of a french TT forum. But I'm happy to announce
              > you that we are going to organise one in my club, just with my team
              > mates and some friends, it will happen in may, probably the 16th. I
              > hope we will be around 16 players. I feel really impatient, because
              > this will be my first hardbat competition!
              > Maybe I will play in the Nordhorn tournament, it's 500 km far from
              > Nancy, where I live, and very close to Holland, where I have a
              > friend, in Eindhoven. I will think about it.
              >
              > Francis.

              Hello Francis, both Scott and I will be playing in the Nordhorn
              tournament. Perhaps we will meet you there.

              Good luck with organizing your club's hardbat event. Please let us all
              know how it works out.

              Al
            • Reverend Gordon
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                --- "francisdef54" <leibenguth@w...> wrote:
                > Andro Classic is easy to order in France, but BTY Orthodox is
                > cheaper. Are they similar?

                The Andro is slightly slower and a bit less spinny than the BTY.
                However, the Butterfly is still reasonably classic... for instance
                it is less spinny than Friendship 799 and TSP Miracle. They both
                have cloth backing and both claim to be old pure rubber formulas.

                > I hope we will be around 16 players. I feel really impatient,
                > because this will be my first hardbat competition!

                Make sure to report the complete results here, so that people
                can see the hardbat activity all over the world.

                > Maybe I will play in the Nordhorn tournament, it's 500 km far from
                > Nancy, where I live, and very close to Holland, where I have a
                > friend, in Eindhoven. I will think about it.

                It would be great to meet you there. We are hoping that our trip
                can help start a more organized effort between the US, England,
                Germany... and... France too? That would be fantastic.

                Lobo
              • francisdef54
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Thanks for your advices Scott.
                  Finally, I decided to order 2 Friendship 799, because I'm looking for
                  something rather spinny, and a 729 RITC Friendship Professional All-
                  paddle. I'd like to have your opinion before I order it at Zeropong.

                  Francis.