  • bearson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
      Re:

       Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:47:53 -0000
         From: "John Franicevich" <
      johnfrani@...>
      Subject: Re: Doubles Practice for LV -- GREEN LIGHT!

      --- In
      hardbat@y..., bearson <bearson@s...> wrote:
       How interested is everyone in scheduling the two Saturdays (12/07 &
      12/14) prior to the Nationals?   What's everyone think?

      If you need someone to fill-in, I am free on both Sundays (12/8 and
      12/15) and can arrange to go to Novato on a Tues or Thursday.
      I have to work both Saturdays (12/7 and 12/14).
      Let me know if you need me.

      JohnF

      John-

      I don't know if we need you as a fill-in, but if you can make it over to Novato one of these Tuesday nights I can guarantee you some hardbat matches.  Dan Marinas has recently switched to full-time hardbat, and we often get in at least one hardbat match.  Let me know if you plan on coming, so I can try getting there early.

      Thursday night would be in Fairfield, and I don't know how likely getting four hardbatters for doubles will be.  I'll probably only go if I've made arrangements with others for practice and/or doubles.  If you're interested, just let me know.  Whether I will spend the whole evening hardbatting will depend on who else shows up.  But I don't mind switching between hardbat and inverted.

      Yours,

      JBj

    • Tandy Goldberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
        Paddle Palace matched gift cerficates from Butterfly
        and The Table Tennis Pioneers. They, too, donated a
        $100 gift certificate for the Gusikoff Benefit for the
        US Closed.

        I adjure others to make pitches to businesses and
        significant others for this event. It's fun and good
        for your health unless you defer to you-know-who.

        Your's in Hardbat,

        ed ball
        Chief Instr.
        Hardbat International

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Tandy Goldberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 14, 2002
          Dear Hardbat friends,

          Inasmuch as Reed's Ginger Brew is the only the only
          corporation to put up cash ($250), we would appreciate
          your pitching high income people or contributing to
          the prize money fund.

          If you can make a donation ($10 okay) or know someone
          who can, our benefit will be that much more
          successful.

          We need volunteers to help. Thank you very much.
          Have a gear day.

          Your's in hardbat,

          Ed Ball
          Chief Instructor
          Hardbat International

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Tandy Goldberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
            Dear Hardbat friends and UFO's,

            Jealousy is a response to a threat to a
            valued relationship which a person is
            heaveily invested.
            --_The Dangerous Passion_

            Reed's Ginger Brew will put up $150 for the 2002
            Close. The brewary will be a cash cow when we start
            producing, but right now money is tight.

            If you or anyone you know can kindly donate some
            money for the cash prizes, it would give impetious to
            the top players to play, and, at the same time, you
            would gain valuable points on the cool-meter by
            helping stroke-victim/ table tennis legend Bob
            Gusikoff. Checks can be made out to "Hardbat."

            You can give checks to Scott...I might not get there
            until Thursday.

            Eternally hoping for the
            best,

            Ed Ball
            thwarted Hardbat star

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Howard Blum
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
              Re: [hardbat] Prize money, now, for the Gusikoff Benefit is only $150--SOS! SOS! SOS! My offer of $100.00 for a lesson with Marty R. still stands (with the money going to Bob Gusikoff) if Marty is coming to Las Vegas. Marty – call me anytime on 800-273-9995. I will arrive in LV on Tuesday at about 2:40 PM and I am not leaving until late Sunday afternoon.

              HB
              415-898-4130 anytime

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
                [Scott or Mr. Boggan. Would you please post this
                yourself as the reality police are censuring my
                too-informational e-mails, and my messages have been
                taking days to get posted. If it's posted immediately
                we might get more donors. Please post this on any Web
                site (especially the Rec Sport's site) anyone who
                reads this.]

                BOB GUSIKOFF
                US CLOSED
                December 18-22

                We Hardbat players will be having another benefit
                Hardbat event for table tennis legend Bob Gusikoff,
                the last man to win the US Open with a Hardbat. (Bob
                became great because he was Marty Reisman practice
                partner and Dick Miles' prote'ge.'
                Bob is recoving from his third stroke, and needs help
                and social recognition for his stupendous
                contributions to our Game. (Isn't it pathetic that our
                senior Hardbat champions get so little respect and
                retrospectives, for the most part, posthumously?)

                All money taken in will go to help Bob with his doctor
                bills.

                The followi9ng businesses have put up prizes for this
                event: Reed's Ginger Brew <donatedgerbrew.com>
                dontated $150 (cash), Newgy's (800-556 3949), $100
                (cash); AmeriHERB DOC)anical Pharmacy (800-HERBDOC, a
                Dr. Richard Schulze videotape ($25 value) and his
                cutting-edge books and audio tapes; The Rob Simon
                Project, one of his CD's; Alpha Table Tennis (800-500
                5057), two US Open video tapes; and Bumper Nets
                (205-987 2222), a Butterfly bag. Butterfly
                (800-611-7712), The Table Tennis Pioneers
                (800-319-PONG), and Paddle Palace (800-547-58910 have
                donated $100 *each* in gift certificates.

                We have $250, now, for the elite event thanks to Chris
                and Larry at Reed's Ginger Brew and Newgy's,
                respectivey. (Want to make a donation and recieve
                extra poins on the Cool Meter? Call 310-967-5844 or
                check with Ed Ball or Scott Gordon.)

                Entry fee is just $25. First people to sign up will
                get a $10 gift certificate. (handmade from Butterfly)

                The Hardbat Committe Meeting will meet Friday night in
                the playing hall, upstairs in the room with the glass
                walls. Please come by, drink some Reed's Ginger Brew
                and enjoy the Hardbat dialogues. Chris Reed's newest
                invention--Crannon-carbonatedrry Ginger--will be
                served. (It's non-carbonated; cranberry juice has
                salutary influences on the kidneys.

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • grasshopper
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
                  --- Tandy Goldberg <theplayer007@...> wrote:
                  > [Scott or Mr. Boggan. Would you please post this
                  > yourself as the reality police are censuring my
                  > too-informational e-mails, and my messages have been
                  > taking days to get posted. If it's posted immediately
                  > we might get more donors. Please post this on any Web
                  > site (especially the Rec Sport's site) anyone who
                  > reads this.]
                  >
                  > BOB GUSIKOFF
                  > US CLOSED

                  Mr. Ball,
                  See, I approved your message and you didn't have wait days for it. :P

                  Gail the Grasshopper aka "Reality Police"

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Tandy Goldberg
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 21, 2003
                    This message has been edited from its original text. Please contact the author for a copy of the original text.

                    Hardbat Moderator

                    Dear Hardbat friends and UFO's,

                    I have been passing this out to students in my classes
                    at SMC and to people I meet whereever I go with good
                    results.

                    Your's in Hardbat,

                    Ed Ball
                    Chief Instructor
                    Hardbat International

                    Hardbat International
                    Theplayer007@...
                    310 967 5844

                    March 7, 2003

                    Dear Table Tennis enthusiasts,

                    This *New Yorker* magazine article is an incredible
                    article about the state of modern table tennis today.

                    We have being trying to have a Hardbat benefit event
                    at Santa Monica College for stroke-victim Bob Gusikoff
                    since his devastating stroke in 1997. Although,
                    Bob�s name is not mentioned in this article, he is a
                    table tennis legend: He represented the US in three
                    World Championships and won the 1959 US Open. (He won
                    this event with a
                    Hardbat, beating Mr. Reisman.)

                    �I was [Dick] Miles� practice partner at the age of
                    thirteen. That�s how I becamea world class player.
                    Because I would do any kind of practice routine he
                    wished, he
                    would practice with me for hours,� Bob said March
                    2003.

                    We need donations to be used for prize money for
                    Guisikoff Hardbat benefits at SMC . This event in
                    conjunction with a Harbat exhibition with Mr. Reisman
                    and Ms. Yip would be the best way to showcase the
                    satisfying Hardbat game, get some media attention for
                    table tennis and help Bob with his medical bills.
                    Hardbat International cares.

                    Please pass this piece around and send your check ($5,
                    okay) made out to �Hardbat� to Table Tennis, P.O. Box
                    207, Santa Monica, CA 90406. For second opinion
                    contact
                    USATT Hardbat Chair Scott Gordon <sgordon@...>
                    .

                    Your�s in Hardbat,

                    Ed Ball

                    Chief Instructor

                    Hardbat International

                    Text of New Yorker article "Back to the Basement" by Nancy Franklin edited out.

                    Hardbat Moderator