Re: Seeking a Go-Ahead for Nat'l Club

  • red99cat
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      I'd be willing to help out with a National Club, but I need to know
      the purpose of this club first. I would like to know the differences
      in responsibilities between the USATT hardbat committee and the
      proposed National Club. Also, what is the goal of the hardbat
      committee, and what is the goal of the club?

      -Jeff L.

      --- In hardbat@y..., John the Elder <jgrinnel@t...> wrote:
      > Overwhelmed by the number of volunteers to hold office in the
      proposed
      > national Classic (HardBat) Table-Tennis Club, JTE plaintively
      whines as
      > follows:
      >
      > With the exception of John the Younger (the Sprout), who generously
      > offered to maintain and host a data-base of the membership, no one
      seems
      > to be interested in shouldering the responsibilities of running
      this
      > thing.
      >
      > Scott hasn't ratified his proposed presidency...and it might not be
      too
      > good an idea to commingle a USATT Chairmanship with presidency of a
      > special-interest TT club...or not...any thoughts?
      >
      > I can proceed as before, by e-mailing Tim and Ty to see if they
      will
      > hold office...and I can bug Scott, as well...and, if no one else
      wants
      > to do the work, I can sign on as VP...
      >
      > However, if there's anyone out there who's holding back for fear of
      > seeming to blow his own horn, come out of the wood-work!
      >
      > At the very least, I'd hope to hear some comments suggesting that I
      go
      > ahead on the current basis...
      >
      > Is there anyone out there???
      >
      > JTE
    • John the Elder
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        Perhaps one distinction to be made is that a *CLUB* works to further
        the wishes of its members, while a USATT *COMMITTEE* acts for the
        bebefit of USATT and table-tennis, as a whole.

        As an example...a Club could lobby a tournament director to replace a
        juniors' event with a HardBat event...while it's unlikely a USATT
        committee would find that a practical position to take.

        Another...a Committee can't organize and sponsor a HardBat (or any
        other) tournament, while a Club would find it a laudable goal..

        Anyone else?

        JTE