sad news

  • Lobo
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
      TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.
    • Bruce H. Liu
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
        RIP. It's indeed a sad news.

        /Bruce - a proud of doubles partner of Marty

        TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.

      • timothy wright
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
          Thanks for posting this. It sure is a sad day. Marty was one of a kind.

          On Dec 7, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Lobo wrote:

          TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.

        • Steve Berger
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
            I just got the call too.
            I just cant believe it.
            field of dreams(basement of dreams)
            I'm numb
            good by old friend.
            safe travels
          • Adoni Maropis
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                 To those of you close to Marty... my deepest sympathies.  Ping pong tables all over the world are sagging just bit today... balls are a bit more fragile and breaking... and paddles don't quite have that sweet spot.

                  I never got to meet Marty but have spoken to him several times on the phone.  I really wanted to be in the presence of this legend at least once... but am okay with him living in my mind, heart, and soul.  From my understanding of our game...  he has carried the torch for Hardbat and now even Sandpaper Ping Ping for a long while.  He definitely has helped ignite me to the joys of this game.  Let's keep the flame burning on this torch forever and spread the love of the game most of us grew up with.  It was a simpler time... a simpler game.  Marty's dialogue and dance of Ping Ping lives on...
              Upward... Onward...
              adoni

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                Sad, sad day. Marty was always carrying the torch for us to follow. He will be sorely missed.

                --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@...> wrote:

                > TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.

              • ptmarkus
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                  to all hardbatters.

                  I have known Marty since I was 13 years old (52 years).
                  He was my hero, we had many great times together on 96th st.
                  I have a large stack of memomorabilia that I have kept all these years
                  about Marty, that were published in many periodicals.I will have those as
                  memories of a great human being and great friend.
                  I will always remember the long conversations for hours, that we had on the phone.
                  We have lost our legend, indeed a very, very sad day.
                   Peter

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                    We also got the call earlier today Marvin and I are very sad to lose our dear friend. May he Rest in Peace. He gave so much to the Table Tennis world. There will never be another one like him.He was a one of a kind.Many will miss him, as we do.
                  • John Grinnell
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                      The Old Order changeth ----- and the world is not the same.
                      First "The Stage" closes, and now, Marty is gone!
                      Who's taking care of Mrs Reisman?

                      JTE

                      > http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/stage-deli-closes-a-midtown-staple-since-1937/

                      The Stage was one block east of Lawrence's -- frequented by Marty and
                      many of the other players...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012

                      TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.

                    • hl_tt
                      Message 11 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                        It's a sad day. I feel lucky that I had a chance to see him last September before he fell ill and enjoy lunch with him at his favorite Indian restaurant. I will always remember this last encounter.
                        Dear Marty, Rest in Peace. You will be sorely missed.
                        Hermann

                        --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@...> wrote:

                        > TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.

                      • H Bbb
                        Message 12 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                          RIP Marty.

                          He will be missed.

                          Howard
                        • Francis L
                          Message 13 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                            Yes, sad news indeed, Marty Reisman was even popular in the world of
                            French hardbat. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

                            --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@...> wrote:

                            > TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I
                            can hardly believe it.

                          • wturber
                            Message 14 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                              It is all very sad and surprising for me. I didn't know that he was not in good health.

                              Jay

                              --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@...> wrote:

                              > TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.

                            • ed ball
                              Message 15 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                                [submitted to Yahoo Hardbat Groups]

                                Charlatang here.

                                That's a very thoughtful question, JTE.

                                We should do for Mrs Reisman as we did for Hardbat star Bob Gusikoff and his family:  have a Liha benefit to help her with her expenses, to show her our support, our love for Mr Reisman and what he stood for. One  of the most prominent voices in the anti-speed and spin crusade, that's what he was.

                                Mr Reisman was very much focused on promoting Liha, many considering him The Father of Post-modern Liha in the United States.

                                We at Liha International have already started pitching for prize money for the benefit.

                                Make those difficult calls. It's fun. Mrs Reisman is worthy.

                                Clinton Charlatang
                                LIHA International.

                                On 12/7/2012 1:13 PM, Lobo wrote:
                                > TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.

                              • Neven Duzevic
                                Message 16 of 19 , Dec 8, 2012
                                  I AM VERY AD TO HEAR THIS NEWS!

                                  It's a sad day. I feel lucky that I had a chance to see him last September before he fell ill and enjoy lunch with him at his favorite Indian restaurant. I will always remember this last encounter.
                                  Dear Marty, Rest in Peace. You will be sorely missed.
                                  Hermann

                                  --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@...> wrote:

                                  > TTN just posted the tragic news that Marty Reisman has passed away. I can hardly believe it.

                                • gnopgnipster
                                  Message 17 of 19 , Dec 8, 2012
                                    Marty was a great table tennis player and very interesting human being whom I was fortunate to meet and play against in a hardbat tournament. Subsequently we had some very interesting conversations ranging from table tennis to Bobby Fischer. I learned a lot from him as a result and through his guidance on a prject I did for him. I will miss him.

                                    Alberto

                                    --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, Neven Duzevic <nduzevic@...> wrote:

                                    > I AM VERY AD TO HEAR THIS NEWS!

                                  • Larry Hodges
                                    Message 18 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
                                      I put a number of links and info about Marty in my table tennis blog this
                                      morning.
                                      http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/blog
                                      (Direct link to that entry only:
                                      http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/1271)