USCTTA Money

  • jds2016
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2011
      Okay folks, Since it is close to Nationals time, I thought I'd bring up the fact that the USCTTA (remember?) has $219.00 in the bank. How about we increase the hardbat prize money this year with it?
      J*
    • gnopgnipster
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2011
        You have my vote on that. But what about the website? How is it going to be funded?

        --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@...> wrote:

        > Okay folks, Since it is close to Nationals time, I thought I'd bring up the fact that the USCTTA (remember?) has $219.00 in the bank. How about we increase the hardbat prize money this year with it?
        > J*

      • jds2016
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 2011
          --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "gnopgnipster" <gnopgnipster@...> wrote:

          > You have my vote on that. But what about the website? How is it going to be funded?

          You mean the one that hasn't been updated since 2006? Hermann, Why is it still there?

          > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Okay folks, Since it is close to Nationals time, I thought I'd bring up the fact that the USCTTA (remember?) has $219.00 in the bank. How about we increase the hardbat prize money this year with it?
          > > J*

        • ed ball
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 2011
            Alberto,

            It would be such a drawing card, so grand of
            you, if
            you'd donated just one sheet of Valor this
            Nationals for the winner of the Open Hardbat
            RR.

            I iterated, you can write it off as a biz expense.
            Think of all the wonderful PR your company gets.

            Clinton Charlatang
            Promo
            Liha International

            On Sep 2, 2011, at 12:11 AM, "jds2016" <jds2016@...> wrote:

            --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "gnopgnipster" <gnopgnipster@...> wrote:

            > You have my vote on that. But what about the website? How is it going to be funded?

            You mean the one that hasn't been updated since 2006? Hermann, Why is it still there?

            > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Okay folks, Since it is close to Nationals time, I thought I'd bring up the fact that the USCTTA (remember?) has $219.00 in the bank. How about we increase the hardbat prize money this year with it?
            > > J*

          • hl_tt
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2011
              The website is still open by request for historic reasons. The best reason is the letter by Angelica Rozeanu to Marty (Fall 20001 volume in the newsletter section of the website). It is a rare document of her life in Romania, from childhood to champion and to trouble with the government. It has been cited in a book as a rare find in an obscure(!) website. We want to keep it this way.

              Considering the growing interest in hardbat, there might be reason to resurrect USCTTA and its website.

              I have to opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it his many years.)

              Hermann

              --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@...> wrote:

              > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "gnopgnipster" <gnopgnipster@> wrote:
              > >

              > > You have my vote on that. But what about the website? How is it going to be funded?
              > >

              > You mean the one that hasn't been updated since 2006? Hermann, Why is it still there?
              >

              > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Okay folks, Since it is close to Nationals time, I thought I'd bring up the fact that the USCTTA (remember?) has $219.00 in the bank. How about we increase the hardbat prize money this year with it?
              > > > J*

            • hl_tt
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 4, 2011
                Actually, I do have a suggestion about what to do about the money in the USCTTA account: Give it to Scott Gordon as a small contribution towards the large expenses he had to get the rights to old TT news reel films. He assembled an interesting collection. (I did not talk to Scott about this suggestion.)

                PS: To correct a couple of typos in my previous post:
                The Rozeanu letter is in the Fall 2001 Volume. I have not yet figured out how to publish anything in 20001 if I should still be around.

                The last paragraph was supposed to read: "I have NO opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it THIS many years.)" ----Sorry Al for changing my mind – I'll buy you lunch next time.

                Hermann

                --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@...> wrote:

                > The website is still open by request for historic reasons. The best reason is the letter by Angelica Rozeanu to Marty (Fall 20001 volume in the newsletter section of the website). It is a rare document of her life in Romania, from childhood to champion and to trouble with the government. It has been cited in a book as a rare find in an obscure(!) website. We want to keep it this way.
                >
                > Considering the growing interest in hardbat, there might be reason to resurrect USCTTA and its website.
                >
                > I have to opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it his many years.)
                >
                > Hermann
                >
                > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "gnopgnipster" <gnopgnipster@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > You have my vote on that. But what about the website? How is it going to be funded?
                > > >

                > > You mean the one that hasn't been updated since 2006? Hermann, Why is it still there?

              • H Bbb
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 4, 2011
                  FYI- Not only has Scott incurred expenses in doing what he has been to archive historic footage and make it available for everyone (at no charge), he has expended enormous amounts of time in his efforts.

                  I am 110% behind Hermann's suggestion.

                  Howard Blum (with a bum right wing which keeping me from playing).

                  Actually, I do have a suggestion about what to do about the money in the USCTTA account: Give it to Scott Gordon as a small contribution towards the large expenses he had to get the rights to old TT news reel films. He assembled an interesting collection. (I did not talk to Scott about this suggestion.)

                  PS: To correct a couple of typos in my previous post:
                  The Rozeanu letter is in the Fall 2001 Volume. I have not yet figured out how to publish anything in 20001 if I should still be around.

                  The last paragraph was supposed to read: "I have NO opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it THIS many years.)" ----Sorry Al for changing my mind – I'll buy you lunch next time.

                  Hermann

                  --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@...> wrote:

                  > The website is still open by request for historic reasons. The best reason is the letter by Angelica Rozeanu to Marty (Fall 20001 volume in the newsletter section of the website). It is a rare document of her life in Romania, from childhood to champion and to trouble with the government. It has been cited in a book as a rare find in an obscure(!) website. We want to keep it this way.
                  >
                  > Considering the growing interest in hardbat, there might be reason to resurrect USCTTA and its website.
                  >
                  > I have to opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it his many years.)
                  >
                  > Hermann
                  >
                  > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "gnopgnipster" <gnopgnipster@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > You have my vote on that. But what about the website? How is it going to be funded?
                  > > >

                  > > You mean the one that hasn't been updated since 2006? Hermann, Why is it still there?

                • hl_tt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 4, 2011
                    Howard,
                    what's wrong in playing with the left wing? No old habits to unlearn!
                    Hermann

                    --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, H Bbb <spam.bad50@...> wrote:

                    > FYI- Not only has Scott incurred expenses in doing what he has been to archive historic footage and make it available for everyone (at no charge), he has expended enormous amounts of time in his efforts.
                    >
                    > I am 110% behind Hermann's suggestion.
                    >
                    > Howard Blum (with a bum right wing which keeping me from playing).
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Lobo
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 6, 2011
                      Very nice thought, Hermann, I'm humbled. But I've also already deducted it on my taxes :) Maybe it couuld be used to pay for my next lobotomy.

                      Actually, I'd like to see it put to some particular, special use. One idea would be to purchase a very nice perpetual trophy that can include all of the U.S. national hardbat champion names since 1997, and add the future ones from year to year. Something like $100 for the trophy, and the remainder to fund future nameplates.

                      Of course, that would also introduce a certain logistical responsibility. But it would be great to discuss ideas like this... I'm always in favor of trying new things.

                      Lobo

                      --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@...> wrote:

                      > Actually, I do have a suggestion about what to do about the money in the USCTTA account: Give it to Scott Gordon as a small contribution towards the large expenses he had to get the rights to old TT news reel films. He assembled an interesting collection. (I did not talk to Scott about this suggestion.)
                      >
                      > PS: To correct a couple of typos in my previous post:
                      > The Rozeanu letter is in the Fall 2001 Volume. I have not yet figured out how to publish anything in 20001 if I should still be around.
                      >
                      > The last paragraph was supposed to read: "I have NO opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it THIS many years.)" ----Sorry Al for changing my mind – I'll buy you lunch next time.
                      >
                      > Hermann
                      >

                      > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The website is still open by request for historic reasons. The best reason is the letter by Angelica Rozeanu to Marty (Fall 20001 volume in the newsletter section of the website). It is a rare document of her life in Romania, from childhood to champion and to trouble with the government. It has been cited in a book as a rare find in an obscure(!) website. We want to keep it this way.
                      > >
                      > > Considering the growing interest in hardbat, there might be reason to resurrect USCTTA and its website.
                      > >
                      > > I have to opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it his many years.)
                      > >
                      > > Hermann
                      > >
                      > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@> wrote:

                      > > > You mean the one that hasn't been updated since 2006? Hermann, Why is it still there?

                    • wturber
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                        If you guys decide to go that direction, I'd be happy to talk to John Harrington to see if he can cut us a good deal on something like that.

                        Many of you probably know John. He owns a trophy shop and is an avid hardbat player. He and his friend Randy won the O-50 Hardbat Doubles at the 2011 US Open.

                        Jay

                        > Very nice thought, Hermann, I'm humbled. But I've also already deducted it on my taxes :) Maybe it couuld be used to pay for my next lobotomy.
                        >
                        > Actually, I'd like to see it put to some particular, special use. One idea would be to purchase a very nice perpetual trophy that can include all of the U.S. national hardbat champion names since 1997, and add the future ones from year to year. Something like $100 for the trophy, and the remainder to fund future nameplates.
                        >
                        > Of course, that would also introduce a certain logistical responsibility. But it would be great to discuss ideas like this... I'm always in favor of trying new things.
                        >
                        > Lobo
                        >
                        > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Actually, I do have a suggestion about what to do about the money in the USCTTA account: Give it to Scott Gordon as a small contribution towards the large expenses he had to get the rights to old TT news reel films. He assembled an interesting collection. (I did not talk to Scott about this suggestion.)
                        > >
                        > > PS: To correct a couple of typos in my previous post:
                        > > The Rozeanu letter is in the Fall 2001 Volume. I have not yet figured out how to publish anything in 20001 if I should still be around.
                        > >
                        > > The last paragraph was supposed to read: "I have NO opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it THIS many years.)" ----Sorry Al for changing my mind – I'll buy you lunch next time.
                        > >
                        > > Hermann
                        > >

                        > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > The website is still open by request for historic reasons. The best reason is the letter by Angelica Rozeanu to Marty (Fall 20001 volume in the newsletter section of the website). It is a rare document of her life in Romania, from childhood to champion and to trouble with the government. It has been cited in a book as a rare find in an obscure(!) website. We want to keep it this way.
                        > > >
                        > > > Considering the growing interest in hardbat, there might be reason to resurrect USCTTA and its website.
                        > > >
                        > > > I have to opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it his many years.)
                        > > >
                        > > > Hermann

                      • hl_tt
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                          Scott,
                          I like your idea. The money should be used for a special situation/cause. We tried to get something going with the USCTTA and the money left over after its demise/hibernation should be for the benefit of hardbat in general.
                          Hermann

                          --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@...> wrote:

                          > Very nice thought, Hermann, I'm humbled. But I've also already deducted it on my taxes :) Maybe it couuld be used to pay for my next lobotomy.
                          >
                          > Actually, I'd like to see it put to some particular, special use. One idea would be to purchase a very nice perpetual trophy that can include all of the U.S. national hardbat champion names since 1997, and add the future ones from year to year. Something like $100 for the trophy, and the remainder to fund future nameplates.
                          >
                          > Of course, that would also introduce a certain logistical responsibility. But it would be great to discuss ideas like this... I'm always in favor of trying new things.
                          >
                          > Lobo
                          >
                          > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Actually, I do have a suggestion about what to do about the money in the USCTTA account: Give it to Scott Gordon as a small contribution towards the large expenses he had to get the rights to old TT news reel films. He assembled an interesting collection. (I did not talk to Scott about this suggestion.)
                          > >
                          > > PS: To correct a couple of typos in my previous post:
                          > > The Rozeanu letter is in the Fall 2001 Volume. I have not yet figured out how to publish anything in 20001 if I should still be around.
                          > >
                          > > The last paragraph was supposed to read: "I have NO opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it THIS many years.)" ----Sorry Al for changing my mind – I'll buy you lunch next time.
                          > >
                          > > Hermann
                        • jds2016
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 8, 2011
                            I was really hoping you people would say for me to have a nice evening out with my wife:-) I guess a trophy is okay. Who will be in charge of the nameplates?
                            My last name has 2 r's:-)
                            J*
                            --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@...> wrote:

                            > Scott,
                            > I like your idea. The money should be used for a special situation/cause. We tried to get something going with the USCTTA and the money left over after its demise/hibernation should be for the benefit of hardbat in general.
                            > Hermann
                            >

                            > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Very nice thought, Hermann, I'm humbled. But I've also already deducted it on my taxes :) Maybe it couuld be used to pay for my next lobotomy.
                            > >
                            > > Actually, I'd like to see it put to some particular, special use. One idea would be to purchase a very nice perpetual trophy that can include all of the U.S. national hardbat champion names since 1997, and add the future ones from year to year. Something like $100 for the trophy, and the remainder to fund future nameplates.
                            > >
                            > > Of course, that would also introduce a certain logistical responsibility. But it would be great to discuss ideas like this... I'm always in favor of trying new things.
                            > >
                            > > Lobo
                            > >
                            > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Actually, I do have a suggestion about what to do about the money in the USCTTA account: Give it to Scott Gordon as a small contribution towards the large expenses he had to get the rights to old TT news reel films. He assembled an interesting collection. (I did not talk to Scott about this suggestion.)
                            > > >
                            > > > PS: To correct a couple of typos in my previous post:
                            > > > The Rozeanu letter is in the Fall 2001 Volume. I have not yet figured out how to publish anything in 20001 if I should still be around.
                            > > >
                            > > > The last paragraph was supposed to read: "I have NO opinion on what to do with the money (well, maybe reimburse Al for hosting it THIS many years.)" ----Sorry Al for changing my mind – I'll buy you lunch next time.
                            > > >
                            > > > Hermann

                          • gnopgnipster
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 9, 2011
                              In view of things, Hermann, keep the website going and keep the money to fund it. I vote for that.

                              CHEERS!

                              --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "jds2016" <jds2016@...> wrote:

                              > I was really hoping you people would say for me to have a nice evening out with my wife:-) I guess a trophy is okay. Who will be in charge of the nameplates?
                              > My last name has 2 r's:-)
                              > J*
                              > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Scott,
                              > > I like your idea. The money should be used for a special situation/cause. We tried to get something going with the USCTTA and the money left over after its demise/hibernation should be for the benefit of hardbat in general.
                              > > Hermann
                              > >

                              > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Very nice thought, Hermann, I'm humbled. But I've also already deducted it on my taxes :) Maybe it couuld be used to pay for my next lobotomy.
                              > > >
                              > > > Actually, I'd like to see it put to some particular, special use. One idea would be to purchase a very nice perpetual trophy that can include all of the U.S. national hardbat champion names since 1997, and add the future ones from year to year. Something like $100 for the trophy, and the remainder to fund future nameplates.
                              > > >
                              > > > Of course, that would also introduce a certain logistical responsibility. But it would be great to discuss ideas like this... I'm always in favor of trying new things.
                              > > >
                              > > > Lobo

                            • hl_tt
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 10, 2011
                                Ex USCTTA members:

                                I was hoping that more of the card-carrying early members of the USCTTA would give us their suggestions of what to do with the left-over money. Berndt, Al, Steve, John, etc, you still around here?

                                If we should decide on a trophy, it should have a name: Swaythling , Corbillon is taken already. ;-)
                                How about we honor somebody who kept hardbat alive or got it organized? Suggestions? Mine: The Reisman Cup, The Scott Gordon Cup?

                                Hermann

                                --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@...> wrote:

                                > Scott,
                                > I like your idea. The money should be used for a special situation/cause. We tried to get something going with the USCTTA and the money left over after its demise/hibernation should be for the benefit of hardbat in general.
                                > Hermann
                                >

                                > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Very nice thought, Hermann, I'm humbled. But I've also already deducted it on my taxes :) Maybe it couuld be used to pay for my next lobotomy.
                                > >
                                > > Actually, I'd like to see it put to some particular, special use. One idea would be to purchase a very nice perpetual trophy that can include all of the U.S. national hardbat champion names since 1997, and add the future ones from year to year. Something like $100 for the trophy, and the remainder to fund future nameplates.
                                > >
                                > > Of course, that would also introduce a certain logistical responsibility. But it would be great to discuss ideas like this... I'm always in favor of trying new things.
                                > >
                                > > Lobo
                              • John _the Elder
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 11, 2011

                                  John the Elder sez----   I vote for the Gordon Cup.  Scott deserves recognition for his efforts over the years!

                                  Sorry for the absence of conversation---but I don't get out of the house all that often, and feel out of touch with the real world.  It's nice to be remembered!

                                  JTE

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 11, 2011
                                    I still have my card. I vote for the Gordon Cup a good use for the money.

                                    Joel
                                    I was hoping that more of the card-carrying early members of the USCTTA would give us their suggestions of what to do with the left-over money. Berndt, Al, Steve, John, etc, you still around here?

                                    If we should decide on a trophy, it should have a name: Swaythling , Corbillon is taken already. ;-)
                                    How about we honor somebody who kept hardbat alive or got it organized? Suggestions? Mine: The Reisman Cup, The Scott Gordon Cup?

                                    Hermann

                                    --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@...> wrote:

                                    > Scott,
                                    > I like your idea. The money should be used for a special situation/cause. We tried to get something going with the USCTTA and the money left over after its demise/hibernation should be for the benefit of hardbat in general.
                                    > Hermann
                                    >

                                    > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Very nice thought, Hermann, I'm humbled. But I've also already deducted it on my taxes :) Maybe it couuld be used to pay for my next lobotomy.
                                    > >
                                    > > Actually, I'd like to see it put to some particular, special use. One idea would be to purchase a very nice perpetual trophy that can include all of the U.S. national hardbat champion names since 1997, and add the future ones from year to year. Something like $100 for the trophy, and the remainder to fund future nameplates.
                                    > >
                                    > > Of course, that would also introduce a certain logistical responsibility. But it would be great to discuss ideas like this... I'm always in favor of trying new things.
                                    > >
                                    > > Lobo

                                  • bobpalgon
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 11, 2011
                                      Hermann,

                                      Weighing in on the hardbat trophy-name designation – if that is where the consensus for spending the money is -- the notion that it could be named for anyone other than Marty seems, to me, unthinkable.

                                      To say this, is to by no means denigrate, or lessen, Scott's very great contribution to the furtherance of hardbat, but we should acknowledge -- as Scott, himself has on our official hardbat website, Marty's singular contribution to the hardbat game:

                                      "Reisman is without question the father of the hardbat renaissance. When sponge appeared on the international scene in 1952, the top players all gradually migrated to it. Those who didn't disappeared... all except Reisman. Amongst the world-class players, he and he alone single-handedly kept the hardbat flame alive for the next 50 years, insisting on the virtues of the classical game and challenging players from around the world to beat him mano-a-mano (that is, without the assistance of their sponge bats). With the advent of the internet in the mid-1990s, his one-man crusade became an international movement enjoyed by thousands of players."

                                      Now, we all know that Marty has gotten quite a lot of recognition in his lifetime. Indeed, he has reached virtual icon-status. He hardly needs the additional honor and recognition that naming the hardbat trophy the Reisman Cup would confer -- but not to do so would be a disservice to history and to all of us who, because of him, are able to compete nationally in the game we love.

                                      Bob

                                      --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@...> wrote:

                                      > Ex USCTTA members:
                                      >
                                      > I was hoping that more of the card-carrying early members of the USCTTA would give us their suggestions of what to do with the left-over money. Berndt, Al, Steve, John, etc, you still around here?
                                      >
                                      > If we should decide on a trophy, it should have a name: Swaythling , Corbillon is taken already. ;-)
                                      > How about we honor somebody who kept hardbat alive or got it organized? Suggestions? Mine: The Reisman Cup, The Scott Gordon Cup?
                                      >
                                      > Hermann
                                      >

                                      > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Scott,
                                      > > I like your idea. The money should be used for a special situation/cause. We tried to get something going with the USCTTA and the money left over after its demise/hibernation should be for the benefit of hardbat in general.
                                      > > Hermann
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "Lobo" <sgordon@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Very nice thought, Hermann, I'm humbled. But I've also already deducted it on my taxes :) Maybe it couuld be used to pay for my next lobotomy.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Actually, I'd like to see it put to some particular, special use. One idea would be to purchase a very nice perpetual trophy that can include all of the U.S. national hardbat champion names since 1997, and add the future ones from year to year. Something like $100 for the trophy, and the remainder to fund future nameplates.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Of course, that would also introduce a certain logistical responsibility. But it would be great to discuss ideas like this... I'm always in favor of trying new things.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Lobo

                                    • Lobo
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 12, 2011
                                        I very strongly agree with Bob. My first thought the moment the name "Gordon Cup" was suggested was how much better and how much more timeless "Reisman Cup" would sound. And, what a perfect complement to the "Miles Cup" that was just unveiled at the last Nationals!

                                        While I appreciate and am doubly humbled the thought of using my name, my contributions pale next to Marty's, and many others for that matter. If we go with a trophy, it MUST be the Reisman Cup!!

                                        Lobo

                                        (and no, not the "Lobo Cup" either)

                                        --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "bobpalgon" <robertpalgon@...> wrote:

                                        > Hermann,
                                        >
                                        > Weighing in on the hardbat trophy-name designation – if that is where the consensus for spending the money is -- the notion that it could be named for anyone other than Marty seems, to me, unthinkable.
                                        >
                                        > To say this, is to by no means denigrate, or lessen, Scott's very great contribution to the furtherance of hardbat, but we should acknowledge -- as Scott, himself has on our official hardbat website, Marty's singular contribution to the hardbat game:
                                        >
                                        > "Reisman is without question the father of the hardbat renaissance. When sponge appeared on the international scene in 1952, the top players all gradually migrated to it. Those who didn't disappeared... all except Reisman. Amongst the world-class players, he and he alone single-handedly kept the hardbat flame alive for the next 50 years, insisting on the virtues of the classical game and challenging players from around the world to beat him mano-a-mano (that is, without the assistance of their sponge bats). With the advent of the internet in the mid-1990s, his one-man crusade became an international movement enjoyed by thousands of players."
                                        >
                                        > Now, we all know that Marty has gotten quite a lot of recognition in his lifetime. Indeed, he has reached virtual icon-status. He hardly needs the additional honor and recognition that naming the hardbat trophy the Reisman Cup would confer -- but not to do so would be a disservice to history and to all of us who, because of him, are able to compete nationally in the game we love.
                                        >
                                        > Bob
                                        >
                                        > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Ex USCTTA members:
                                        > >
                                        > > I was hoping that more of the card-carrying early members of the USCTTA would give us their suggestions of what to do with the left-over money. Berndt, Al, Steve, John, etc, you still around here?
                                        > >
                                        > > If we should decide on a trophy, it should have a name: Swaythling , Corbillon is taken already. ;-)
                                        > > How about we honor somebody who kept hardbat alive or got it organized? Suggestions? Mine: The Reisman Cup, The Scott Gordon Cup?
                                        > >
                                        > > Hermann
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In hardbat@yahoogroups.com, "hl_tt" <hluechinger@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Scott,
                                        > > > I like your idea. The money should be used for a special situation/cause. We tried to get something going with the USCTTA and the money left over after its demise/hibernation should be for the benefit of hardbat in general.
                                        > > > Hermann

                                      • dnorman
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 12, 2011
                                          Reisman Cup is a good name. Maybe we could get the cup ready by the nationals in Dec, and have Marty there to present it?