Re: Unit Cost help

  • chrisant_wa
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- "computermom0220" <pennarlingtonnet@y...> wrote:
      > I have ... a question on the new Unit Cost calculation.
      > It appears that to calculate the unit cost of an item,
      > I have to put the size (not the "actual" unit) in the
      > unit field. Is this a correct assumption? I had been
      > using the fields like this: For a 20 ounce package of
      > chips, quantity = 20, unit = oz, price = $1.66. But,
      > to get the unit cost to calculate, I have to put unit =
      > 20, price = $1.66. Then, I don't know what my actual
      > unit is, i.e. ounces. Am I understanding this correctly?

      Greg answered this already, but it's also worth pointing out that
      the way you used to do it would come up with 20*1.66 = $33.20 for
      the bag of chips. Because the Total command multiplies Quantity by
      Price.

      For your previous way to have worked, you'd have needed to calculate
      the per-unit price by hand and entered quantity = 20, price =
      0.083. But since the Price is only precise to two decimal places,
      you'd have 0.08 which when multipled by 20 and the Total command
      would be off a bit. Mathematically I don't see how the way you did
      it previously could have worked. Hopefully that didn't lead to
      confusion or problems, and hopefully it will be easy to follow
      Greg's instructions and use the new feature. :-)

      cheers,
      // chris
    • computermom0220
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
        Thanks, Greg and Chris, for your explanations and help. I've tried
        Greg's directions to change my shopping database and am anxious to
        try it when I shop next time to better comparison-shop. Chris, I
        never had any problems using the quantity field for the size of the
        product because I never used the Total command anyway. I was more
        interested in how much each item cost. Thanks again for your help
        and this wonderful program. I have found many uses besides shopping
        and use it every day.