Re: [HS] Handyshopper Verses Spash Shopper

  • Willem v/d Blink
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
      On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:30:22 -0000, "glmason92"
      <glmason@...> wrote:

      >Greg, can you or someone else list the features that HS2 has NOW that
      >SplashShopper lacks? I think that would help those of us who still
      >have a lot to learn about HS2 and will certainly help those who are
      >comparing the two products head to head.

      I'll wait for a list.
      I started with HS (and love the prgm!) and changed to Splash shopper
      for the desktop conduit. I must say: I really do not use the DT CD
      much. I could do without it.

      I miss:
      - Last date an item was bought HS does, SS doesn't.
      - Combining stores at will (pick 3 out of 10, I use them for certain
      situations, like "alone", "son visiting", "parents visiting"). Neither
      HS nor SS does that. I use "stores" for "situations" (I don't buy
      chocolate ice cream when I'm alone :-)
      - There are items you shouldn't forget to get. My medicine is rather
      essential. So I WOULD like an advance warning or putting it on the
      list automatically: no HS or SS feature :-(
      - I appreciate the effort that is spent to HS. It's free. I EXPECT
      from SS that they care: I paced for it.

      Willem.
    • Greg Gaub
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
        At 06:49 PM 9/1/02 +0200, you wrote:
        > >Greg, can you or someone else list the features that HS2 has NOW that
        > >SplashShopper lacks? I think that would help those of us who still
        > >have a lot to learn about HS2 and will certainly help those who are
        > >comparing the two products head to head.

        Ok, so I installed the latest SplashShopper and checked it out. Here are
        some things that HandyShopper2 HAS but SplashShopper does NOT. This is
        probably not a complete list:

        1) Ability to edit items in list view. SplashShopper automatically goes to
        Detail view when you tap and item, and information is edited there.

        2) Ability for an item description to take up more than one line in list
        view. SplashShopper truncates the description to the column width, with no
        option to allow multiple lines. The most you can get is a full line across
        the screen by turning off all other columns.

        3) The Best Buy calculator. Sure, I could do it with the Calculator
        application, but this is SOOOO much easier.

        4) Date, Tax2, Priority, and Private. I'd say aisle and custom text, but
        the two custom fields in SplashShopper can serve as those. This allows HS2
        to record item creation or completion date, or any other date, as well as
        calculate additional taxes, filter/sort by priority, and hide items from
        prying eyes.

        5) ability to copy an item, either in the list or to another list

        6) One-handed more. They've created a No-stylus mode, but it's a global
        preference that you set before opening a list, and the only way to turn it
        off is to go to the SS home screen and into the option again.

        8) ability to purge items based on different criteria.

        9) a useful total, including tax, filterable by category and even priority,
        and access to the checkout function from there.

        10) four different display fonts to choose from

        11) 3-tier search orders for All and Need, which can be preset.
        SplashShopper lets you quickly sort a list by any of the fields it
        supports, but only by one field at a time.

        12) Alarms per item. SplashShopper has no alarms whatsoever.

        13) Lefty support and the famous "tip window" on the scroll bar.

        13) Ability to import data from the Memo Pad. Useful when someone beams you
        data that they have in a memo (or exported to one as many programs to).

        14) On the way for HS2 are per-item icons and alarm sound selections

        Some of the things that SplashShopper has that HS2 didn't have been added
        to HS2, including per-list icons and drag-adjustable column widths.

        There haven't been many changes to SplashShopper since I last looked at it
        several months ago. The main differences I see now are that it has stores
        and the ability to record per-store prices and aisles (if you use a custom
        field as aisle), some item marking and navigation tools, and the no-stylus
        mode. It's main advantage over HS2 is still the well integrated desktop
        client for both Windows AND Mac users.

        Hope that helps anyone interested. I'll stick with HS2 myself, but you all
        knew that already. ;-)

        -Greg

        - Gregory A. Gaub | http://www.snapbag.com/~flux/ -
      • Kim Kramer
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
          --- Willem v/d Blink <wblink@...> wrote:
          > - There are items you shouldn't forget to get. My medicine is rather
          > essential. So I WOULD like an advance warning or putting it on the
          > list automatically: no HS or SS feature :-(

          You can set an alarm for an item.

          Kim

          http://finance.yahoo.com